EFL - The Covid-19 decision

I read that statement differently as us basically saying 'we'd like to carry on playing and the play-offs will suit that objective, thank you very much' rather than a request to start the full season. A carefully worded statement that talks about 'winning promotion on the pitch'. Imho this is also teeing up the possibility of us raising a challenge if the EFL try to award the third place to Wycombe at a later date with no play-offs. Smart move.
I first read it as we want to play the whole season out - which I don't agree is the right thing to do any more, given the unnecessary strains this will put on many clubs across our league.
However, if they meant it as you have read it - keep the play-offs rather than just put 3rd up on PPG only - then that is very different, and something that does make sense all round ...involving just 5 (perhaps even 3) games between sides who will/should want to play them.
How the other 22 clubs read it may prove important in terms of future relations between us and them (and perhaps how they vote on final decisions if games cannot be played)

On that point, I wonder how they are going to structure the playoffs? Should there still be two legged semis, home and away, or should they just take all four squads to a neutral venue and play out two single legged semis and the final over a five/seven day period to get it done?

eg Saturday 18th July (or Tues 21st) - 2pm (5pm) - Cheltenham v Northampton (St Georges) // 5pm (8pm)- Wycombe v Fleetwood (Wembley)
Sunday 19th July (or Weds 22nd) - 2pm (5pm) - Exeter v Colchester (St Georges) // 5pm (8pm) - Oxford v Portsmouth (Wembley)
Saturday 25th July - 2pm - L2 final (St Georges) // 5pm - L1 final (Wembley)

Pompey fans down here seem to think it will be a 1 game semi with us as the home team.
Ive said it before, I think they should block-book wembley for a week, put all the participating teams in isolation in a nearby hotel, and play all the semi-finals and finals over the course of the week.

Monday: L2 semi 1
Tuesday: L2 semi 2
Wednesday: L1 semi 1
Thursday: L1 semi 2
Friday: Restday
Saturday: L2 Final
Sunday: L1 Final.

I would be deeply, deeply upset if Oxford played at Wembley and fans could not attend.

ST Holders only then. :) :) :)

Clubs can't even get fans to stay off the pitch when they get promoted, so there's no chance that the same people are going to adhere to the 2m social distancing rules if their team scores a last-minute winner in a play-off final.

Ive said it before, I think they should block-book wembley for a week, put all the participating teams in isolation in a nearby hotel, and play all the semi-finals and finals over the course of the week.

Clubs could also link up with nearby stadiums to use their facilities for training.

Clubs could also link up with nearby stadiums to use their facilities for training.
And someone like Skysports could have a field day. Sell a delux ticket that lasts the whole week and includes exclusive access to the hotel for player interviews throughout the day, with big pre-match build-up etc. It would be like a mini worldcup.

And someone like Skysports could have a field day. Sell a delux ticket that lasts the whole week and includes exclusive access to the hotel for player interviews throughout the day, with big pre-match build-up etc. It would be like a mini worldcup.
Big brother Premier League edition. “Kane has been kicked out of the house due to a covid diagnosis”. “Watch them tediously play FIFA for hours on end”.

Craig David will probably only be able to watch the L1 final then.

Craig David will probably only be able to watch the L1 final then.

Slight problem taking her for a drink on Tuesday as the pubs are shut? Sure he could get a TV set up in the bedroom as well for the other matches...

Can’t be at the County Ground as they’ll need to sanitise the place within the next month or so.
We aren’t going to play Swindon as s**t is hitting the fan down there. Whilst not ever liking to see other clubs suffer administration and a 12 point dedication this is 1 I could cope with.
Add to this I hope ALL clubs survive the current situation although many changes will happen in sport and life generally. Stay well my fellow yellows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom