CWC 19: England V New Zealand

There have been a couple of games recently (last England and India games), where the first team batting have got off to a fantastic start and after losing a wicket ot two, slowed down and didnt achieve the score that looked likely.
400 is possible but probably needs Buttler or Stokes to score a few.
Do England put Buttler in next instead of Root (they wont I reckon but it would give them a better chance of going big)?

Shame to see Roy go as he is a player who can take the game away from teams. It’s fine for Root to run singles, keep the ball ticking over and score at a run a ball as long as the player at the other end gets some boundaries

20 overs in .... 133-1 .... Roy a tad unfortunate, but a decent 60 runs.... hope Root steps up with agood n quick score

It's important to keep the runs ticking over in these middle overs without taking needless risks. Bairstow, Root and Morgan can comfortable score at 6-7 an over which will give them around 230-250 by the 38th over. Then start swinging the bat with Buttler, Stokes etc to come in and keep scoring at 10+ an over until the end.

Each 50 runs for England has got slower and slower, need to keep the run rate up, got plenty of batting still in the dressing room

Decent score of 161-1 after 25 overs .... looking good halfway through this innings ... another 5 overs of the same , then step it up and kick on

Puuuuurfect time for Buttler. 20 overs to go and he can go into T20 mode. You don’t want to promote him much earlier in my view.

I don’t get the criticism from a few quarters regarding Joe Root. He scores at a 100 strike rate which is absolutely fine for a number 3. He continues the platform for the openers when they’ve set England with some runs on the board. Just because he isn’t crash, bang, wallop, it doesn’t mean he’s slow. He’s more death by a thousand cuts.

David Warner has played the same way for Australia this WC so far, albeit even slower in the early games. It’s got him firmly encamped in the top scorers so it does work as a strategy.

Root a shade unlucky .... 200-2 ... 19 overs remain .... score of 380-400 a realistic aim, heres hoping

If we get Stokes and Butler at the crease for any extended period of time, both are capable of scoring very quickly. I’m not at all confident though ?

Root a shade unlucky .... 200-2 ... 19 overs remain .... score of 380-400 a realistic aim, heres hoping
A shade unlucky but a very poor review.
I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us.

superb 106 from Bairstow .... one hell of a delivery from Henry bowling him out too... now lets see what our remaining batsman have got to give today? ...C'mon England

Back
Top Bottom