CWC 19 England v Afghanistan

The biggest issue with England is the fielding, it has been well below par. Against a stronger team they might get punished. Poor fielding against Pakistan, and Woakes dropped a couple in the last game verses the West Indies. Today we were fortunate to have plenty of runs on the board, and despite playing a pretty ordinary team, they made a bit of a go of it. So good for them! We move on now, and must be better in the field against Sri Lanka on Friday.

Fielding has been below par in the tournament, England have been a rare shining light in comparison with teams like the West Indies, Bangladesh or Pakistan.

Good win for England today, great for the run rate and good for Morgan and Bairstow to get runs. The team is rounding off in a nice way at the moment.

Our bowling worries me, this is where I fear we may become undone. The batters are performing as a group well, but you do feel they have to get 350 every innings for us to feel safe defending.

Our bowling worries me, this is where I fear we may become undone. The batters are performing as a group well, but you do feel they have to get 350 every innings for us to feel safe defending.
Really?
Archer and Wood seem to me to have really improved the bowling significantly.
You could say that Rachid and Moeen aren't at their best although the weather has been saner friendly and some of the grounds are small.

The middle overs are a concern for England, but that is in part due to the pitches and not having the spinners bowl in tandem.

Really?
Archer and Wood seem to me to have really improved the bowling significantly.
You could say that Rachid and Moeen aren't at their best although the weather has been saner friendly and some of the grounds are small.
Add the fact we haven't really played anyone of note yet, it's going to be a big test restricting the 'big 3' when we get round to playing them. Then there is the worry of Wood and his fitness.

Hope I'm worried over nothing, but I know from years of bitter experience that the England cricket team never does anything the easy way.

Add the fact we haven't really played anyone of note yet, it's going to be a big test restricting the 'big 3' when we get round to playing them. Then there is the worry of Wood and his fitness.

Hope I'm worried over nothing, but I know from years of bitter experience that the England cricket team never does anything the easy way.

New Zealand haven't played anybody of note either have they on that basis, with only India playing Australia (iirc)?

We did play Pakistan on their one good day!

Back
Top Bottom