Carabao Cup - Manchester City (H) SOLD OUT

Remember a cracking mid week match at Maine Rd in 1996, we were 2-1 down but eventually won 3-2 courtesy of a legendary Matt Elliott header in the last couple of minutes. Shame I was in the home end and had to contain my screaming until we were two pints and a couple of miles away from the ground. Students weren’t popular round that way, an Oxford supporting student would have probably got lynched that night!

Remember a cracking mid week match at Maine Rd in 1996, we were 2-1 down but eventually won 3-2 courtesy of a legendary Matt Elliott header in the last couple of minutes. Shame I was in the home end and had to contain my screaming until we were two pints and a couple of miles away from the ground. Students weren’t popular round that way, an Oxford supporting student would have probably got lynched that night!

I remember that game very vividly. We parked up in moss side and as soon as we got out the car four young Manc lads said 'yaright, can we mind your car mate?'

My old man gave them a quid each otherwise the car probably would have ended up on a nearby railway embankment after a joyride.

Brilliant game mind. Matt Elliott at his absolute peak in an OUFC shirt that evening.

Personally, don't give a monkeys whether they are plastic or anything else. They are a huge club with a lot of support. The game will bring income by the shed load. High profile team means OUFC in the limelight. Good for business, good for recruitment, good for attracting local support and a chance for all of us to dream of pulling off a surprise!
Tiger should be able to persuade some high ranking business advertising and perhaps even forge stronger links to investment.
Exactly. Invite Mr singha to the match and show him what he could emulate with us with a few (billion) quid investment.

100 new memberships sold online overnight
If Season ticket holders get the option of buying an additional ticket( not that all ST holders will take up the usual offer) with the new membership offering 2nd priority (which could allow for membership holders buying an addition ticket too?,) I really cant see there being that many home tickets going on general sale?

Man City In Peace here.
Firstly, we are delighted to have drawn you, the honour of being the victim of "a giant killing" is usually afforded to our neighbours! We won't take the game lightly either, every game is a challenge, Wigan knocked us out of the FA Cup last year and Bristol City ran us close over 2 legs in this competition. Besides, most of us are still young enough to remember where we came from (we last played you in Division 1 just 20 short years ago at Maine Road-you won 2-0). Most City fans still expect impending doom to be just around the corner (persistent failure is a hard thing to forget).
Our club might eat at the top table these days, but the fans (most of us anyway) are the same humorous working class people we were when Stockport County and Macclesfield Town were beating us in the late 90's! It's not something we have forgotten, we know we won the lottery when Sheikh Mansour bought our club and I don't think our success has made the fans as arrogant as that of a certain other club from Manchester.
I see there has been some debate as to whether this will be a TV tie, I honestly can't see it not being.
Some of you may want to follow what other City fans think of the tie, below is a link to the discussion on Bluemoon (easily the biggest Manchester City forum)
https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/carabao-cup-oxford-united-a-25-09-1945hrs.336120/

However many tickets you give us for the tie we will certainly sell, I expect we will receive a raucous and hostile welcome, but if you could fall short of singing "where were you when you were s**t" that would be great, just remember we were getting gates of 34500 in the old division 3 just 20 years go.

Man City used to be a proper club but it's just another plastic franchise like the rest of that rancid overpriced and over rated league!
I'm going to put my tin hat on here and disagree with your point of view. Sure we have spent millions on world class players, but the investment in the club goes much deeper than the 1st team. We have best the youth academy in the world, players of all ages are trained by some of the best coaches in the world inside a training facility that is second to none in the world. We are investing in the long term not just the short term. Our owner was determined from the very first day that we would become self sustainable, to this end (and despite our obvious spending) the club has made an operating profit in the past 2 seasons and is on track to do the same this season. Nor do we get our players whatever the cost, we have missed out on targets such as Sanchez who wanted a huge weekly salary we were not prepared to pay. The club has also invested heavily in Manchester through it's "development in the community" programme.

Remember losing 2-5 1974ish they didnt put a weak side out that day,Bell,Lee,Law ................ hammered us ;(
I was at that match. Actually we had a great chance at 2-4. Graham Atkinson ghosted into the area, received the pass, first touch took him past the centre half but he missed the open goal. Nearly took my head off in my spot left side London Road. If that had gone in we could well have won that game. Odd how I can recall that passage of play as clearly as if it was yesterday, but I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night.

Worth also mentioning along side this excellent draw, our two loaned players at Macclesfield have the prospect of playing in the tie at West Ham- good luck to them both, if selected. I suspect that Kelleher is more likely than Napa to get a start, but a great experience for them both!

I’ve been to a few games at the Etihad with my Manc mate. Have to say, they are a good bunch the ones I met up there. They havn’t forgotten where they came from and would chat to me about old games at Oxford.

You will no don't put
Man City In Peace here.
Firstly, we are delighted to have drawn you, the honour of being the victim of "a giant killing" is usually afforded to our neighbours! We won't take the game lightly either, every game is a challenge, Wigan knocked us out of the FA Cup last year and Bristol City ran us close over 2 legs in this competition. Besides, most of us are still young enough to remember where we came from (we last played you in Division 1 just 20 short years ago at Maine Road-you won 2-0). Most City fans still expect impending doom to be just around the corner (persistent failure is a hard thing to forget).
Our club might eat at the top table these days, but the fans (most of us anyway) are the same humorous working class people we were when Stockport County and Macclesfield Town were beating us in the late 90's! It's not something we have forgotten, we know we won the lottery when Sheikh Mansour bought our club and I don't think our success has made the fans as arrogant as that of a certain other club from Manchester.
I see there has been some debate as to whether this will be a TV tie, I honestly can't see it not being.
Some of you may want to follow what other City fans think of the tie, below is a link to the discussion on Bluemoon (easily the biggest Manchester City forum)
https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/carabao-cup-oxford-united-a-25-09-1945hrs.336120/

However many tickets you give us for the tie we will certainly sell, I expect we will receive a raucous and hostile welcome, but if you could fall short of singing "where were you when you were s**t" that would be great, just remember we were getting gates of 34500 in the old division 3 just 20 years go.

Although I despise much of the Premiership and what it stands for, I do love watching your lot play under Pep with players such as Silva and Aguero.

I guess that your team will mainly be a reserve side, but what sort of team do you reckon you will put out?

• React
Reactions: DSM
Man City used to be a proper club but it's just another plastic franchise like the rest of that rancid overpriced and over rated league!
What about Huddersfield, Wolves, Brighton, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Burnley, Palace, Fulham, proper clubs or plastic franchises?

Although I despise everything about the plastic premiershit I am really happy we got this draw. We as a club need revenue and I think we can win as well!

I'm going to put my tin hat on here and disagree with your point of view. Sure we have spent millions on world class players, but the investment in the club goes much deeper than the 1st team. We have best the youth academy in the world, players of all ages are trained by some of the best coaches in the world inside a training facility that is second to none in the world. We are investing in the long term not just the short term. Our owner was determined from the very first day that we would become self sustainable, to this end (and despite our obvious spending) the club has made an operating profit in the past 2 seasons and is on track to do the same this season. Nor do we get our players whatever the cost, we have missed out on targets such as Sanchez who wanted a huge weekly salary we were not prepared to pay. The club has also invested heavily in Manchester through it's "development in the community" programme.
Have to agree here. A mate of mine has two kinds in their academy and they get looked after extremely well. One of his comments was that the Man. city kids are still treated as kids although they are training with professional coaches. He has been all over Europe with his kids when they play, as City take parents to tournaments. I love it cuz he's a Man U fan.

Back
Top Bottom