League Cup Carabao Cup - Swansea (h)

Thinking that was the game as well where Maguire really clicked and had his best game since joining.

Weirdly he was getting a bit of stick when he joined as some were complaining that he slowed the game down. Thankfully people began to see his class (and shithousery of course!) and he scored some vital goals in the run in.

Last edited:
Those two sides Appleton put together either side of promotion were just so brilliant. What could have been if Pep the merciless hadn't come in and completely ripped our club to pieces to give contracts to his mates whom I'm not entirely unconvinced weren't even footballers. Xemi, GvK, Mehmeti, Tiendalli, Pekalski, some of the worst players I've ever seen play football (or not in Pekalski's case). Baffling how we went from MApp's side to those lot over one summer.

Yes they came to mind too but of those cup games, it is the Swansea one which I remember most fondly.

As a League 2 team, that was absolute filth.

9e30794a62574b44197c892a2d500ba7.jpg
It is still beyond comprehension how that team nearly blew the automatics and finished second to an extremely limited Northampton side.

It is still beyond comprehension how that team nearly blew the automatics and finished second to an extremely limited Northampton side.

Yes it would have been a travesty if we’d messed up promotion that year.

Northampton were a very good team though - not as easy on the eye as a footballing side but insanely good at getting results.

We also scored the most goals and conceded the fewest goals in League Two that season.
And yet Northampton finished nine points ahead of us, and we didn't get promoted until the final day!

It was mostly due to what happened in close games all season. We demolished a lot of teams but were pretty average in tight affairs, whilst Northampton won almost every one goal game they played all season.

I think the reason that the Swansea game is more memorable than the Newcastle & West Ham cup wins is because it was a really good game that - although we were the better team - we only just held on to win. The other two were absolute demolitions - a lot of fun, but not as much tension and excitement!

I think the reason that the Swansea game is more memorable than the Newcastle & West Ham cup wins is because it was a really good game that - although we were the better team - we only just held on to win.

Absolutely. That first Swansea goal was an absolute peach as well. It made our comeback and deserving victory all the sweeter as you sensed we might get torn apart after that opening as it was so fast, clinical and skilful.

Absolutely. That first Swansea goal was an absolute peach as well. It made our comeback and deserving victory all the sweeter as you sensed we might get torn apart after that opening as it was so fast, clinical and skilful.

One of the best opposition goals scored against us at the Kass. A really classy goal.

Our team was a better footballing side. Mr Appleton got under Chippys skin.

Oh boy did he do that. He dropped the ‘best side in the division’ comment on the day of Northampton’s open top bus parade and swanned off on holiday. The ‘Oxelona’ insult, AppletonGenius Twitter account and Ol’ Chippy being unable to resist mentioning it showed it triggered them good.

Managerial shithousing as it’s finest.

We also scored the most goals and conceded the fewest goals in League Two that season.
And yet Northampton finished nine points ahead of us, and we didn't get promoted until the final day!

It was mostly due to what happened in close games all season. We demolished a lot of teams but were pretty average in tight affairs, whilst Northampton won almost every one goal game they played all season.

I think the reason that the Swansea game is more memorable than the Newcastle & West Ham cup wins is because it was a really good game that - although we were the better team - we only just held on to win. The other two were absolute demolitions - a lot of fun, but not as much tension and excitement!

It didn't help that we had 2 average keepers who had the ability to make a bad error at the wrong time.

Any chance of this tie being televised? Not seen who the picks are yet.

Scrap that. Seen it’s two northern games.

Bradford v hull and Sheff Wed v Sunderland.

Last edited:
Confirmed for Tuesday 9th August. Tickets on sale. Season ticket seats not reserved.

edit: looking at things, assume season ticket seats not reserved as only 11 blocks are open for sale.

Last edited:
edit: looking at things, assume season ticket seats not reserved as only 11 blocks are open for sale.

Don’t need to be a dot counter to see this hasn’t worked. I’m waiting for my block to open so I can buy my ST seat

Back
Top Bottom