Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
The letter in full:

Dear colleague,

I hope that you had an enjoyable and productive summer recess, with the opportunity for some rest ahead of the return of the House.

I wanted to take this opportunity to update you on the Government's plans for its business in Parliament.

As you know, for some time parliamentary business has been sparse.

The current session has lasted more than 340 days and needs to be brought to a close - in almost 400 years only the 2010-12 session comes close, at 250 days.

Bills have been introduced, which, while worthy in their own right, have at times seemed more about filling time in both the Commons and the Lords, while key Brexit legislation has been held back to ensure it could still be considered for carry-over into a second session.

This cannot continue.

I therefore intend to bring forward a new bold and ambitious domestic legislative agenda for the renewal of our country after Brexit.

There will be a significant Brexit legislative programme to get through but that should be no excuse for a lack of ambition!

We will help the NHS, fight violent crime, invest in infrastructure and science and cut the cost of living.

This morning I spoke to Her Majesty The Queen to request an end to the current parliamentary session in the second sitting week in September, before commencing the second session of this Parliament with a Queen's speech on Monday 14 October.

A central feature of the legislative programme will be the Government's number one legislative priority, if a new deal is forthcoming at EU Council, to introduce a Withdrawal Agreement Bill and move at pace to secure its passage before 31 October.

I fully recognise that the debate on the Queen's Speech will be an opportunity for Members of Parliament to express their view on this Government's legislative agenda and its approach to, and the result of, the European Council on 17-18 October.

It is right that you should have the chance to do so, in a clear and unambiguous manner.

I also believe it is vitally important that the key votes associated with the Queen's Speech and any deal with the EU fall at a time when parliamentarians are best placed to judge the Government's programme.

Parliament will have the opportunity to debate the Government's overall programme, and approach to Brexit, in the run up to EU Council, and then vote on this on 21 and 22 October, once we know the outcome of the Council.

Should I succeed in agreeing a deal with the EU, Parliament will then have the opportunity to pass the Bill required for ratification of the deal ahead of 31 October.

Finally, I want to reiterate to colleagues that these weeks leading up to the European Council on 17/18 October are vitally important for the sake of my negotiations with the EU.

Member States are watching what Parliament does with great interest and it is only by showing unity and resolve that we stand a chance of securing a new deal that can be passed by Parliament.

In the meantime, the Government will take the responsible approach of continuing its preparations for leaving the EU, with or without a deal.

The Leader of the Commons will update the House in the normal fashion with regard to business for the final week.

For now, I can confirm that on Monday 9 September both Houses will debate the motions on the first reports relating to the Northern Ireland (Executive Formation etc) Act 2019 (NIEFA).

Following these debates we will begin preparation to end the Parliamentary session ahead of a Queen's Speech.

The Business Managers in both Houses will shortly engage with their opposite numbers, and MPs more widely, on plans for passing a deal should one be forthcoming.

Decisions will also need to be taken about carrying over some of the bills currently before the House, and we will look to work constructively with the Opposition on this front.

If agreement cannot be reached we will look to reintroduce the bills in the next session, and details on this will be set out in the Queen's Speech.

As always my door is open to all colleagues should you wish to discuss this or any other matter.

Yours sincerely,

Boris Johnson

What BoJo is doing here is not 'business as usual' and no one should pretend it is.

The longest prorogation in the past 40 years was three weeks. BoJo is proroguing parliament for four and a half weeks at a time of national crisis.

I've said it 100 times - Britain is not a direct democracy; we're a parliamentary democracy. If you don't allow parliament to debate and have their say, then you're denying the British people their representation. And has been said above, that's basically dictatorship.

Corbyn has to now call for a vote of no confidence next week. Then the question will be - have enough Tory MPs got the balls to vote against their government in favour of a General Election? If they don't, then fair enough - parliament has spoken; we leave with No Deal.

If the government do lose a no confidence vote, but refuse to step down and/or schedule the general election for November 1st - and the way they're acting, you can't rule this out - then the Brexit question is going to end up being settled by the High Court.....which is frankly a ridiculous situation and an abrogation of responsibilities from all involved.

Well if Donald is for it, and mate Nigel is for it, as well as the DUP and Boris are for a NO DEAL BREXIT, who can be against it?

What BoJo is doing here is not 'business as usual' and no one should pretend it is.

The longest prorogation in the past 40 years was three weeks. BoJo is proroguing parliament for four and a half weeks at a time of national crisis.

I've said it 100 times - Britain is not a direct democracy; we're a parliamentary democracy. If you don't allow parliament to debate and have their say, then you're denying the British people their representation. And has been said above, that's basically dictatorship.

Corbyn has to now call for a vote of no confidence next week. Then the question will be - have enough Tory MPs got the balls to vote against their government in favour of a General Election? If they don't, then fair enough - parliament has spoken; we leave with No Deal.

If the government do lose a no confidence vote, but refuse to step down and/or schedule the general election for November 1st - and the way they're acting, you can't rule this out - then the Brexit question is going to end up being settled by the High Court.....which is frankly a ridiculous situation and an abrogation of responsibilities from all involved.
It looks like there aren't the numbers at this moment. The devil you know seems more enticing than the devil you don't for some Tories. I guess some know that they'll be hoisted by their petards if they err incorrectly and control will be well and truly gone.

Talk has been that if the Govt lose a No Confidence vote, they'll ultimately call a GE knowing that the Lib Dems and SNP refuse to be lead by Corbyn and the time it takes to do a GE will mean No Deal happens as a consequence.

Lost in all of the Twitter virtue signalling, Remainer Gammon outrage and pointless petitioning is that this further tightens the nut on the EU. The avenues to obfuscate or avoid the UK leaving are slowly closing down one by one, thus making the choice as binary as it gets. Who is willing to play chicken and get run over?

As an aside, the fact BoJo did this while was the poison dwarf was on a family holiday and deliberately didn't inform him, was a truly delicious and manipulative bit of politics against someone who has revelled in it the past few years. I'm sure someone in 10 Downing Street was laughing their ass off at his reaction as they know it has ruined the holiday.

It looks like there aren't the numbers at this moment. The devil you know seems more enticing than the devil you don't for some Tories. I guess some know that they'll be hoisted by their petards if they err incorrectly and control will be well and truly gone.

Well, we should fine out. For any MP that truly believes that a No Deal Brexit is going to be damaging to the country, next week is now the solitary opportunity to do something about it. If they fail to act, on their heads be it.

My chief concern is that Corbyn is a) actually pretty instinctively anti-EU, and b) almost completely self-serving, and therefore might decide that it's better for him (but not the country) to wait for a no confidence vote until a few months after a No Deal Brexit, when the effects are starting to be felt. Because he's been such an incompetent opposition leader, if the GE happened now, he could easily lose seats in Brexit areas to a Tory/Farage coalition, and seats in Remain areas to the Lib Dems.

Well, we should fine out. For any MP that truly believes that a No Deal Brexit is going to be damaging to the country, next week is now the solitary opportunity to do something about it. If they fail to act, on their heads be it.

My chief concern is that Corbyn is a) actually pretty instinctively anti-EU, and b) almost completely self-serving, and therefore might decide that it's better for him (but not the country) to wait for a no confidence vote until a few months after a No Deal Brexit, when the effects are starting to be felt. Because he's been such an incompetent opposition leader, if the GE happened now, he could easily lose seats in Brexit areas to a Tory/Farage coalition, and seats in Remain areas to the Lib Dems.
And I am unsure if there is really the legislative time to have the opportunity to challenge the Govt in a meaningful way. Maybot's clock running down method for other reasons is helping Johnson now.

Re Corbyn, this is why Swinson wants others in charge but that breaks the democratic parliamentary convention and I guess that is why it hasn't happened.

I did realise last night that is the first time in a long time that Leavers have had an element of control over Brexit in a long, long time. Recently, it's been at the whim of Remainers and I guess that is why the reaction is particularly strong and extreme.

I just hope this all brings a deal together, but I really don't see it. Maybot just burned through our credibility with the likes of Macron

Really? Have you forgotten the Parliamentary recess for Party Conference season normally mid Sept to mid October?

We are now (pretty much) in September.

They return on the 2nd (about lunchtime as its Monday!) they have Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday (and Friday if its a sitting day!).
Between the 9th - 13th Sept through until October 7th (give or take) Parliament would close for the conference recess normally.
In his letter it is clearly spelled out what is needed of Parliament & a time table for it.

So where are your "four and a half weeks" hiding???

"National crisis" ?? You are Owen Jones & I claim my £10.

Really? Have you forgotten the Parliamentary recess for Party Conference season normally mid Sept to mid October?

We are now (pretty much) in September.

They return on the 2nd (about lunchtime as its Monday!) they have Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday (and Friday if its a sitting day!).
Between the 9th - 13th Sept through until October 7th (give or take) Parliament would close for the conference recess normally.
In his letter it is clearly spelled out what is needed of Parliament & a time table for it.

So where are your "four and a half weeks" hiding???

"National crisis" ?? You are Owen Jones & I claim my £10.

The Conference recess has to be voted through by the MPs so the terms/times change to circumstances. There were rumours that sufficient MPs weren't going to vote in favour of a Conference recess or at most a week so little to no recess. Also, the House of Lords/Select Committees etc continue through the Conference season recess.

So what Johnson has done is not the same thing. As previously these Ministers seem to agree:

I wonder how many have the courage of their convictions?!

I think we can agree not many (any!) Mp`s have the courage of their convictions when it comes to staring a P45 in the face................. ?

Back
Top Bottom