Dot Counting Bolton 10k - 28 November

Attendance tracking
Referee for the game is bloody Sam Purkis! Mark Harris will need to be on his best behaviour!
Unfortunately, I cannot give any assurance that I will be!
Got that clown 🤡 again already the ELF must be really hard up for a decent ref or they want the fine money 💰 so desperately

Fairly good sales, as of midnight last night, of 6,350 home sales.

This is a little earlier than I normally start a Saturday count, so the better comparison will be in 24 hours time, but there are a few things that stand out. Only the Wycombe and Blackpool games had higher sales at midnight on Sunday before each game (24 hours later) so that's a positive. But those games were 475 and 275 higher respectively, and I doubt we'll sell 475 (or even 275?) in the next 24 hours. However, if Bolton do sell out, which I think they will get close to, then we don't need to match the Wycombe or Blackpool attendances to get to 10,000 total.

The next two or three days will give a better picture of what we might expect. It's interesting that most all areas are pretty much on a par with the Wycombe and Blackpool games (even though it's a day earlier) except the North Stand, and particularly the family area, which is about 275 down on Wycombe on its own.

Gut feeling for a 10,000 crowd? It's going to be close, and particularly if we find ourselves top and second in the league on Saturday evening.
About 100 sold in the last 24 hours, leaving us at 6,450 home sales.

We're now at the same point, before the game, where I normally do my first count, so the comparison is as follows:

It is currently the third highest sales, at this point, behind only Blackpool (175) and Wycombe (375).
It is comfortably above all other games at this stage.
All areas are selling well, apart from the family area in the North Stand.

The last two games had 8,636 and 8,720 home fans respectively, so on current trends I'd expect about 8,400/8,500 home sales for this one. We would normally sell between 1,700 to 2,100 from this point on, but as it's a midweek game, the sales pattern will probably be different. I think it's clear that one of the main differences for midweek games is the slower sales in the family section, and possibly to people with kids in general.

A win on Saturday could be the difference maker.

About 100 sold in the last 24 hours, leaving us at 6,450 home sales.

We're now at the same point, before the game, where I normally do my first count, so the comparison is as follows:

It is currently the third highest sales, at this point, behind only Blackpool (175) and Wycombe (375).
It is comfortably above all other games at this stage.
All areas are selling well, apart from the family area in the North Stand.

The last two games had 8,636 and 8,720 home fans respectively, so on current trends I'd expect about 8,400/8,500 home sales for this one. We would normally sell between 1,700 to 2,100 from this point on, but as it's a midweek game, the sales pattern will probably be different. I think it's clear that one of the main differences for midweek games is the slower sales in the family section, and possibly to people with kids in general.

A win on Saturday could be the difference maker.
Moderate sales of just over 100 in the last 24 hours. Bolton not expecting to sell out their allocation, which is a clear indication of the unattractiveness of midweek games verses Saturday games.

Not sure how this one is going to end up.

Moderate sales of just over 100 in the last 24 hours. Bolton not expecting to sell out their allocation, which is a clear indication of the unattractiveness of midweek games verses Saturday games.

I have a feeling Bolton will sell 950-1100 non dependant on scoes this weekend. Just a hunch

I have a feeling Bolton will sell 950-1100 non dependant on scoes this weekend. Just a hunch
If they sell 1,000 it won't be a bad effort.
So we will need to sell 9,000 in DBs first home game in what could be a HUGE game, almost certainly deciding who is in the Top 2 and could decide who goes top.
I appreciate that families are less likely to go ( with young children), but hopefully everybody will turn up for DBs first Hine game.

Midweek games are a pain for families with young children. My boy is 8 so wouldn’t normally take him to a midweek match outside of school holidays, but have told him we will go to the Bolton game next week. We have season tickets but families that buy individual match tickets maybe give the midweek matches a miss

Midweek games are a pain for families with young children. My boy is 8 so wouldn’t normally take him to a midweek match outside of school holidays, but have told him we will go to the Bolton game next week. We have season tickets but families that buy individual match tickets maybe give the midweek matches a miss
I'm bringing my pet Bolton fan and his friend. So thats 2 more.

The time it takes from North Oxfordshire for midweek games is horrendous if you don't know the back roads and parking very well. A friend of mine leaves our village at 4:30 for home games. In the 80's leaving then would get me to practically all away games. Must put so many off. Saturdays not great either. I am a bit concerned that the anticipated crowds at new stadium may have been under estimated.

The time it takes from North Oxfordshire for midweek games is horrendous if you don't know the back roads and parking very well. A friend of mine leaves our village at 4:30 for home games. In the 80's leaving then would get me to practically all away games. Must put so many off. Saturdays not great either. I am a bit concerned that the anticipated crowds at new stadium may have been under estimated.

There will be 1,100+ away fans travelling from Bolton, down the M6 and via the A34 in ‘north Oxfordshire’. Considering they will no doubt make up at least 15% of the crowd, on the fabled Tuesday night then I don’t think the time it takes for Oxfordshire based yellows to get to a game is much of an excuse not to go.

Some will find any reason not to go, clearly, but travel time in Oxfordshire? Those applicable need to try harder.

From near Chipping Norton can’t get much more north oxon than that 45 minutes at most , is he on a push bike?

Why is your friend leaves their village in North Oxfordshire at 4.30pm when it will take no more than an hour from pretty much anywhere in Oxfordshire?

Why is your friend leaves their village in North Oxfordshire at 4.30pm when it will take no more than an hour from pretty much anywhere in Oxfordshire?
He's not so good on his feet so needs to park near the ground. The journey does not put me off nor our regulars, but would definately put off new fans. I know a mother taking her 2 boys for 1st time V Bolton and they are leaving at 4 to make sure they can park on Grenoble and not get trapped in car park on a school night.
Anyway new ground on the way, I'm being positive in that I think we might be surprised with the extra fans it will attract. With promotion I think we could get quite a few sell outs at 16,000.

There will be 1,100+ away fans travelling from Bolton, down the M6 and via the A34 in ‘north Oxfordshire’. Considering they will no doubt make up at least 15% of the crowd, on the fabled Tuesday night then I don’t think the time it takes for Oxfordshire based yellows to get to a game is much of an excuse not to go.

Some will find any reason not to go, clearly, but travel time in Oxfordshire? Those applicable need to try harder.
But plenty of Bolton fans won’t be making the trip, because of their circumstances and families etc. Bolton got 24,000 fans for their last L1 game at home, so I’d say the vast majority have been put off by the travel and time.

More than 1,100 Oxford fans will be making the trip.

The two aren’t comparable but I always enjoy your take on how terrible our fans are.

Likely to get a space in the main car park where they won’t have to wait an hour to get out - which has been known after Bolton on a Tuesday night.

It’s why I’m parked up by 1pm on Saturday match days. I don’t do many midweek games, originally because I was trying to fulfil my responsibilities to people other than OUFC but now just to P**s off EC.

I get that you’re coming from a good place and want what’s best for the club but I really don’t think berating people for potentially not showing up is a helpful tone to take.

I get that you’re coming from a good place and want what’s best for the club but I really don’t think berating people for potentially not showing up is a helpful tone to take.

Tbh, I don’t think anyone suggesting travel from North Oxfordshire (or anywhere else in the county) is a reason not to go or helpful to the players/club.

If people are really onboard with what we are trying to achieve this season and have the financial means to attend, then I just cannot see how a Tuesday night fixture, under the lights and at home to Bolton is not an attractive fixture.

This is a forum and I’ll offer my opinion, that’s what this is all about, isn’t it? I’m sure nobody is taking any notice or worried anyway, it’s just my own thoughts on the matter.

Much shorter and politer than the reply I've been thinking of.

4.30 pm till 7.45 pm to get to the k***m from North Oxfordshire ????? The Train from Banbury is only 20 minutes.

Further moderate sales on Friday, leaving us at 6,700 home sales at present.

Unless there's a big take up in the next few days, then I'd say we're heading for about 8,000 + whatever Bolton bring. In the last two days there have been practically zero sales in the family area of the North Stand, and this is by far the area with the biggest discrepancy from a Saturday match. Most other areas are down a little, but nowhere near as much as the family area.

4.30 pm till 7.45 pm to get to the k***m from North Oxfordshire ????? The Train from Banbury is only 20 minutes.
It's not me it's someone i know who hasn't been before and exactly the kind of fans we will be able to attract at new ground. I went to my mother in laws house in Headington 2 weeks ago, 21 miles took 1.5 hours. Factor in trying get home from work, then feed the family, then get ready, then fight the traffic, then try to park. Some comments on here are from folk that clearly dont appreciate how long it takes. I could get to London quicker than the Kassam if i didnt know the back roads.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom