Dot Counting Bolton 10k - 28 November

Attendance tracking
It's not me it's someone i know who hasn't been before and exactly the kind of fans we will be able to attract at new ground. I went to my mother in laws house in Headington 2 weeks ago, 21 miles took 1.5 hours. Factor in trying get home from work, then feed the family, then get ready, then fight the traffic, then try to park. Some comments on here are from folk that clearly dont appreciate how long it takes. I could get to London quicker than the Kassam if i didnt know the back roads.
Exactly ,I've been banging on for ever about public transport (etc) forever. It takes me between 1 & 1 & a half hours on a bus at weekends to get from KIDLINGTON to my parents house in HEADINGTON. I didn't realise it was that long in a car...

Bolton likely to bring a few more, however todays 'performance' and result wont help home ticket sales

I'm not going to lie after our performance yesterday and Bolton putting 7 past Exeter I'm not looking forward to this game BUT it's the hope that kills you

I'm not going to lie after our performance yesterday and Bolton putting 7 past Exeter I'm not looking forward to this game BUT it's the hope that kills you
4 nil win and we could go top!!

Belieeeeve!

Hi guys, just checking in from the other side. Bit of a surprise your slip up on Saturday but not more than Pompey. How do you feel about your new manager, happy or not? Will you have a full team out or do you have any injuries to worry about? Wanderers should have a pretty much unchanged side from Saturday which is really beginning to click now with the new players in during the summer. I wouldn’t put too much store into the 7-0 against Exeter, who were really poor so Tuesdays game should be a better indication of where we both are. We’re expecting about 1200 coming down from here so hopefully that’ll add to the atmosphere. Obviously we want to continue our run of 8 consecutive wins and 6 clean sheets but I suspect a draw wouldn’t be a bad result for either of us? Let’s just hope it’s a good game and not spoiled by poor refereeing as so many seem to be at this level?

I’d happily take an abysmal refereeing performance that leads to a one nil win to us.

Just like your victory at ours last season.

What’s not to like about this game? I’m really looking forward to it..

* Des’s first home game.
* 1st v 3rd
* Decent away following
* Under the lights = always better.

For me this is one of the ‘must not miss games’ of the season.

I get why midweek games are awkward for many, it’s certainly harder for me to get there / back midweek than on a Saturday, but this is one of those games I wouldn’t want to miss.

Last edited:
Further moderate sales on Friday, leaving us at 6,700 home sales at present.

Unless there's a big take up in the next few days, then I'd say we're heading for about 8,000 + whatever Bolton bring. In the last two days there have been practically zero sales in the family area of the North Stand, and this is by far the area with the biggest discrepancy from a Saturday match. Most other areas are down a little, but nowhere near as much as the family area.
Just shy of 6,900 at midnight, so still sluggish sales.

I think the best we can hope for now is 8,000 home fans plus the 1,200 from Bolton. I don't think this was ever likely to get to 10,000 but a win on Saturday might have seen us go over 9,500 total. Most areas are similar, or marginally below, our recent Saturday game sales, but the North Stand (apart from the block next to the away fans) is about 500 down. At the risk of repeating myself, it's clear that midweek, winter, games are a hard sell to families, when you play at a freezing cold soulless shithole with nowhere to shelter your kids and nothing for them to do pre game.

I'm always nervous when it's a big crowd for games like this (not just because of the game itself!)

If we win and it's a great game, we potentially grow the fanbase (basic theory of if people are excited and enjoy it, they may come back)

If we lose and we're s**t like Saturday, it potentially puts off a couple of thousand of potential new fans from returning.

Ps, before people say 'we don't want them type of fans anyway', growing the fanbase is a huge element to any clubs success!!

I wouldn't say 10,000 is a big crowd . Population of Oxfordshire, plus top of the table clash.
It should easily be 10,000, but alas it probably won't.
Why ???

Because people don't want to keep the kids up that late on a school night.

Not certain League one has the profile to really push midweek sales on its own, no matter how well we are doing and especially at a ground as cold and dull as the Kassam.

Because people don't want to keep the kids up that late on a school night.

Not certain League one has the profile to really push midweek sales on its own, no matter how well we are doing and especially at a ground as cold and dull as the Kassam.
Really, can't remember that being used as excuse years ago... Me & my mates were kids once ,we went....

Yes, I would also go to all home games, as a kid. But my dad never took me, and we only broke 10,000 for cup games!

I'd think twice (or more) about taking my daughter to an evening game (but that's mostly because she can't stand football, the stupid child).

Hi guys, just checking in from the other side. Bit of a surprise your slip up on Saturday but not more than Pompey. How do you feel about your new manager, happy or not? Will you have a full team out or do you have any injuries to worry about? Wanderers should have a pretty much unchanged side from Saturday which is really beginning to click now with the new players in during the summer. I wouldn’t put too much store into the 7-0 against Exeter, who were really poor so Tuesdays game should be a better indication of where we both are. We’re expecting about 1200 coming down from here so hopefully that’ll add to the atmosphere. Obviously we want to continue our run of 8 consecutive wins and 6 clean sheets but I suspect a draw wouldn’t be a bad result for either of us? Let’s just hope it’s a good game and not spoiled by poor refereeing as so many seem to be at this level?
If we play like we did on Saturday you'll get a 10-0. Seems like we've set aside the style of play which got us to where we are presently. Definitely in transition mode at the moment.

There will not be a better time to play us this season.

Really, can't remember that being used as excuse years ago... Me & my mates were kids once ,we went....
If we played a Premier League club at home in a Cup it would be full!

Regardless, it does seem that regardless of how important the league game us, it does appear that this reduces the crowd.

For what's it's worth as a relative OUFC newbie, I won't take my 9 year old lad to midweek kick-offs during term time as we wouldn't be back to Bicester before about 10.30 which is too late for a school night. I hope to get him to his first evening kick-off against Derby after Christmas.

However, it was my dad's birthday last week and so I've 'treated' him to a ticket to the Bolton game as a present, although that was before the weekend's results!

I'm so selfless.

I wouldn't say 10,000 is a big crowd . Population of Oxfordshire, plus top of the table clash.
It should easily be 10,000, but alas it probably won't.
Why ???
Just to put this sort of nonsense post into a general perspective, didn't I see a recent article saying that we are enjoying out best average home crowds for 35+ years? And that in a soulless stadium with poor public transport access. Celebrate the positive, rather than accentuate the negatives.

Back
Top Bottom