Bingeability for the lockdown

too much work on atm ... lots of commissions currently from the magazine I freelance for

but will be indulging in box sets n books etc as the commissions are done dusted n dispatched
( as well as working on writing/ collating info for my first book- subject Yate allnighters 74-82, which has been on the back burner for 18 months or so)

One book that's going to be the first on my list of to do is Harlem 69 Stuart Cosgrove - the third in his trilogy ( others being Detroit '67 & Memphis '68)

strictly speaking it doesn't come into the bingeability for the lockdown category, had a book arrive, for review, an hour or so ago - The Truth about Northern Soul- Stephen Riley ... it will be read (assuming lockdown arrives tonight/ next few days) , and reviewed, during the lockdown

• React
Reactions: UTM
If you like your music, have a look at 'guitar, drum and bass' on the BBC iPlayer, talks about the evolution of the 3 instruments, interesting stuff. Maybe one for you @Sarge?

TV: (All series)

Hidden
Thou shalt not kill
Trapped (Icelandic series)

Books:

The Charlie Parker Series by John Connolly. Starts with "Every Dead thing".

Movies:

Land of Mine

Where did you watch Land of Mine? Heard it's a great film.

TV - it's always sunny in Philadelphia, F1 drive to survive, the thick of it, Madmen, Rick and Morty, this country (relevant to our Oxon villages)

Books - Lord of the Rings!

Hobbies - I'm finding gardening is probably the best way to remain active on weekends in a solitary way. I do this at an allotment because I live in a flat.

Wife and I just finished binging Person of Interest.

Made by Jonathan Nolan (brother of Christopher; show runner of Westworld; writer of Memento) - it's a US network TV show, so it suffers a little from 'Monster of the Week' syndrome, particularly early on.....but once the overarching plot gets going, we found it pretty gripping stuff; and a little thought-provoking in dealing, as it does, with questions of freedom vs. safety in the face of the growth of surveillance culture and AI.

No idea if you can get it on streaming services in the UK, mind. It's on Netflix over here.
I love that show! Very clever premise once it gets going and quite relevant with how AIs, etc with our day to day lives

As I didn't watch much telly prior to lockdown this is a quite brilliant thread and thanks to everyone. Can anyone recommend stuff for the 13 to 16 age group that might stop my kids arguing and bring peace to our house?

As for books, The Rose Project and two sequels are excellent but I'm not sure they will appeal to everyone.

If you like your music, have a look at 'guitar, drum and bass' on the BBC iPlayer, talks about the evolution of the 3 instruments, interesting stuff. Maybe one for you @Sarge?
watched the Story of Ready Steady Go and the best of Ready Steady Go on iplayer/ catchup yesterday night
was screened on Friday eve bbc4

among other things, Ready Steady Go was innovational in some of its camera work- even more so after the acts/artists performing on there went from miming to playing live , the close up shots cutting different ways was groundbreaking at the time

some seriously iconic acts on there .... cream of British acts as well as Motown artists and Otis Redding.... plus my great aunt Sandy (Sargent) was one of the Ready Steady Go dancers, her finest RSG moment has to be when she was dancing alongside Otis!

watched the Story of Ready Steady Go and the best of Ready Steady Go on iplayer/ catchup yesterday night
was screened on Friday eve bbc4

among other things, Ready Steady Go was innovational in some of its camera work- even more so after the acts/artists performing on there went from miming to playing live , the close up shots cutting different ways was groundbreaking at the time

some seriously iconic acts on there .... cream of British acts as well as Motown artists and Otis Redding.... plus my great aunt Sandy (Sargent) was one of the Ready Steady Go dancers, her finest RSG moment has to be when she was dancing alongside Otis!
Thanks for the heads up on this, will check it out.

Detectorists is so absolutely profound, managing to be about everything and nothing all at one time.

Very little makes me long for England quite as much.

I don't know the exact days when they filmed it, but they had some of the most glorious weather when they did. The Essex/Suffolk border looks like it borrowed California's weather for the series! It is a fantastic series - some laugh out loud moments, some understated moments and a show that you let wash over you.

Despite the lack of commute, a few new series of podcasts are available. Series 3 of Gossipmongers has just begun (albeit with a fairly weak episode this time), the new series of Quickly Kevin Will He Score (the Steve Bruce mystery novel episodes are the best ones), has launched, Football Cliches is worth a listen and I enjoyed the BBC's The Missing Cryptoqueen series that played last year.

As I didn't watch much telly prior to lockdown this is a quite brilliant thread and thanks to everyone. Can anyone recommend stuff for the 13 to 16 age group that might stop my kids arguing and bring peace to our house?

As for books, The Rose Project and two sequels are excellent but I'm not sure they will appeal to everyone.
Person of Interest is fairly tame... Top Gear/Grand Tour are easy watches too. It depends on what they like watching -but stuff like Hunger Games, etc are good film watches, plus the ubiquitous Harry Potter fills a lot of time.

Red Bull Soapbox Races are pretty interesting watches too and there are loads of them available. I believe Amazon Prime have opened their kids TV channels up for all.

Six feet under...... if it's available anywhere.

proper boxset binge - the entire 9 StarWars films in numerical/chronological order plus the add in (rogue one) between 3 and 4...

its a suggestion btw, Im not using any (of the) force ;) ;)

Person of Interest is fairly tame... Top Gear/Grand Tour are easy watches too. It depends on what they like watching -but stuff like Hunger Games, etc are good film watches, plus the ubiquitous Harry Potter fills a lot of time.

Red Bull Soapbox Races are pretty interesting watches too and there are loads of them available. I believe Amazon Prime have opened their kids TV channels up for all.

Thanks for this. They've done Hunger Games and Harry Potter to pieces. I've also introduced/subjected then to "classics" of my youth such as Men in Black, Crocodile Dundee, Karate Kid and Romancing the Stone. Daughter loved "Fever Pitch". Son likes action stuff.

Thanks for this. They've done Hunger Games and Harry Potter to pieces. I've also introduced/subjected then to "classics" of my youth such as Men in Black, Crocodile Dundee, Karate Kid and Romancing the Stone. Daughter loved "Fever Pitch". Son likes action stuff.
There are also things like the Police Academy films, old Xmen cartoons, Lost, X-Files, Transformer films, various old Star Trek series, plus newer ones on Amazon and Netflix.

Takeshi's Castle is a good watch I'm told. So is BlueBloods.

I’ll sometimes listen to 2 or 3 episodes of Desert Island Discs one after the other. Lots of previous episodes you can access on BBC site.

The recent Ian Wright one is worth listening to.

• React
Reactions: UTM