Do people think we may have a new lockdown

• Yes

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters
Shouldn't the question be do we need another lockdown or not? We don't have any influence on what the government will do and I certainly wouldn't try and guess what they will do next.

Shouldn't the question be do we need another lockdown or not? We don't have any influence on what the government will do and I certainly wouldn't try and guess what they will do next.
I don't think they ( this government) have any idea of what they will do next

I expect that it depends on the data when more is available (how good are the vaccines against Omicron).
Also what kind of lockdown? I would be very surprised if there was a lockdown like March 20.

The more this Govt say no lockdown, the more likely it will happen.
The dreaded 'vote of confidence' Bearing in mind his love for football analogies, I can see Jonathan Van-Tam resorting to that!

I expect that it depends on the data when more is available (how good are the vaccines against Omicron).
Also what kind of lockdown? I would be very surprised if there was a lockdown like March 20.
I agree. A nationwide stay-at-home message with the hour for exercise/essentials style lockdown is unlikely in my view. The government have drawn their line in the sand and compliance would go out the window if they were to renege on that. They're on thin ice as it is with stories of Christmas parties, Boris's flat renovations, an absent chancellor and the dereliction of the hospitality industry, so any moves of that nature before Christmas would cause uproar.

So much depends on whether this variant starts hospitalising and killing people and just over three weeks in, it's too early to say despite the staggering way it has spread. The stats from the last week suggest that hospitalisations remain high but at least steady and deaths aren't creeping up much. That said, the first case of COVID in the UK was in January and the first death wasn't until March - we have a number of weeks to go before we find out just how dangerous this variant is. Will it just be mild symptoms for the many who catch it as we've seen so far and hope stays that way? Will the booster roll out stymie it?

January and early February could be pretty rotten at this rate.

I don't think we'll see complete closure of shops, hairdressers, dentists etc but wouldn't be surprised if pubs and clubs close. A lot of hospitality probably won't find it worth opening anyway as not many people will want to go out in Jan and Feb.

Hopefully not, last winter was shite.

People won’t stay in now anyway, been jabbed 2/3 times, told one thing and seen the government and their cronies ignore, plus most people have had enough of it all now and just want to get on with their lives.

Everyone is watching how Omnicron behaves. Also Lockdown can now mean a different thing.

But, we had a Nigerian student arrive here, she only had close contact with 18 people, but all of them are believed to be positive with Omnicron now.

EY might opine, but early indication is very contagious but is hospitalising people less than Delta.

Hopefully not, last winter was shite.

People won’t stay in now anyway, been jabbed 2/3 times, told one thing and seen the government and their cronies ignore, plus most people have had enough of it all now and just want to get on with their lives.
I'd agree in principle and hope you're right @holdsteady

that said, the hospitality industry is experiencing ( financially) crippling amounts of booking cancellations, a profusion of entertainment events are being, at best, postponed, or even cancelled, some with very short notice.

Last year the government cancelled Christmas..... this year with a week or so to go, it seems 'people' are cancelling Christmas instead, by cancelling works dos, festive activities, events and the like, despite, albeit still being in a Pandemic, 'everywhere' is open for business certainly in here England ...pubs, restaurants, clubs, venues, cinemas, theatres, bowling alleys , sports events etc - which begs the question, why all the constant cancellations and postponements over the past few days?

Ive had both vaccine doses, + booster, & flu jab ( with Pneumonia jab booked early 2022), I do ( at least) two LFT per week, wear a mask where required, and, out of choice, a few places where not legally required, but where it seemsto be the right thing to do. I wash and sanitise my hands regularly and often. And I have (a paper)Covid pass, as well as awaiting an updated (paper) covid pass, with booster details included- I believe ( which should have been with me within 5 days according to NHS site, when requested- its 3 days later than the 5 days stated now, however the terrible postal service by Royal Mail in certain areas of OX3 are a whole separate topic!) ..... I'm really hoping there isn't yet another lockdown, as I certainly want to get on with my life...... which includes going to the hostelry of my choice before going to watch my team play a home game (tomorrow), among other things too

• React
Reactions: m
I think there will be a lock down in the new year. Not on the scale of last year or previous lock downs. I think it will be a short sharp lock down to try and stop the spread of omnicron. Do i want a lock down? hell no i'm as fed up with it all as the next man.

I was in a pub in Cambridge on Wednesday and it didn’t seem to me that people were put off going out, if you want to you still will.

I'd agree in principle and hope you're right @holdsteady

that said, the hospitality industry is experiencing ( financially) crippling amounts of booking cancellations, a profusion of entertainment events are being, at best, postponed, or even cancelled, some with very short notice.

Last year the government cancelled Christmas..... this year with a week or so to go, it seems 'people' are cancelling Christmas instead, by cancelling works dos, festive activities, events and the like, despite, albeit still being in a Pandemic, 'everywhere' is open for business certainly in here England ...pubs, restaurants, clubs, venues, cinemas, theatres, bowling alleys , sports events etc - which begs the question, why all the constant cancellations and postponements over the past few days?

Ive had both vaccine doses, + booster, & flu jab ( with Pneumonia jab booked early 2022), I do ( at least) two LFT per week, wear a mask where required, and, out of choice, a few places where not legally required, but where it seemsto be the right thing to do. I wash and sanitise my hands regularly and often. And I have (a paper)Covid pass, as well as awaiting an updated (paper) covid pass, with booster details included- I believe ( which should have been with me within 5 days according to NHS site, when requested- its 3 days later than the 5 days stated now, however the terrible postal service by Royal Mail in certain areas of OX3 are a whole separate topic!) ..... I'm really hoping there isn't yet another lockdown, as I certainly want to get on with my life...... which includes going to the hostelry of my choice before going to watch my team play a home game (tomorrow), among other things too
My work party today has been canned, mainly because people are fearful of catching it and then messing up their Christmas plans. I suspect a few others are in that position.

I also had my booster yesterday and felt fine for the last 24 hours, but now I feel floored. I'll be off to bed shortly and I very much doubt I would be going to a party tonight even if it was on.

I think both of those are potential reasons, particularly the first. People will be seeing relatives over the next few weeks and will be paranoid about passing anything on.

I suspect the government are reluctant to cancel Christmas because they'll know how unpopular it'll make them. It'll also mean they have to pay furlough which they obviously don't want to do (oh and Rishi is in California).

Tui have been cancelling holidays apparently, including into May. They have links with the Govt so this may be an indication of future travel of Govt plans.

Much depends on the impact it has and not just on the NHS but the wider "nuts & bolts" of things being made delivered etc.
We are on Level 4 preparedness..... plan for the worst, hope for the best.

The positive is that it will create a high level of the much-vaunted "herd immunity" ideally without equitable numbers of admissions & deaths.

My work party today has been canned, mainly because people are fearful of catching it and then messing up their Christmas plans. I suspect a few others are in that position.

I also had my booster yesterday and felt fine for the last 24 hours, but now I feel floored. I'll be off to bed shortly and I very much doubt I would be going to a party tonight even if it was on.

I think both of those are potential reasons, particularly the first. People will be seeing relatives over the next few weeks and will be paranoid about passing anything on.

I suspect the government are reluctant to cancel Christmas because they'll know how unpopular it'll make them. It'll also mean they have to pay furlough which they obviously don't want to do (oh and Rishi is in California).
Understandable under those circumstances ( cancelling works xmas do) @Jack Midson ..... and for most, family plans over the festive period will take priority

Good luck with shaking off booster side effects, I was fine on the day I had mine ( had no side effects with either AZ dose), which was pfizer, but following day I had a dead arm that lasted 6-8 days, and felt like id been run over by a convoy of busses for the next ten days

I agree too re the government being reluctant to cancel Christmas for the reasons stated

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom