Do people think we may have a new lockdown

• Yes

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters
The problem is getting the right balance.
Nobody wants people dying of covid nor I would think do we want businesses to fail. Central government funded by the taxpayer can’t afford to keep funding furlough and backing companies.
The scientists differ on solutions. Some say the infection is mild generally but if it spreads quickly presumably the hospitals will struggle.
I would like to know whether the infections are the result of not being vaccinated. Are the deaths recorded with covid the result of underlying issues, pneumonia.
Unless the economy can be allowed to function how can we get to grips with all the other issues in the NHS.
How much longer will we have to covid and the gloom?
I agree that we need leadership and at the moment we are not getting it
Just a note to say my partner and I are double vaccinated. I even had the booster but on the day of testing positive for ‘rona… I would have a guess that the majority of infections are people who had their second jab some time ago (July in our case) and hence the clamour for the booster. Hopefully they will decide to prioritise the ambulance service in the future!

"It means that coordination arrangements between key public services will be further stepped-up with the re-establishment of the Strategic Coordinating Group, which will have a Government representative enabling London to seek further support from government to address the pressures facing the city."

Why thank you dear boy; sounds a bit like OUSP just put like that so perhaps we should also paste (from same article) -

"A major incident is defined as an event or situation with a range of serious consequences which requires special arrangements to be implemented by one or more emergency responder agency. It is “beyond the scope of business-as-usual operations, and is likely to involve serious harm, damage, disruption or risk to human life or welfare, essential services, the environment or national security”. In addition, “the severity of the consequences associated with a major incident are likely to constrain or complicate the ability of responders to resource and manage the incident”." ;)

Why thank you dear boy; sounds a bit like OUSP just put like that so perhaps we should also paste (from same article) -

"A major incident is defined as an event or situation with a range of serious consequences which requires special arrangements to be implemented by one or more emergency responder agency. It is “beyond the scope of business-as-usual operations, and is likely to involve serious harm, damage, disruption or risk to human life or welfare, essential services, the environment or national security”. In addition, “the severity of the consequences associated with a major incident are likely to constrain or complicate the ability of responders to resource and manage the incident”." ;)

Could just read the link, I just added the exec summary - "Khan gets a pot of cash to widdle up the wall on nothing in particular..." :)

The problem though is the incredible transmission rate and the likelihood that a minority, unvaccinated, cancer patients other vulnerable people, are at greater risk. That 'pool" of people is quite large and in their own right could have a massive impact on all services. The other thing I'm struck by is that so many countries in Europe are already taking precautionary action.
  • The Netherlands has a strict lockdown in place until 14th January.
  • Germany is banning UK tourists as of midnight on Sunday 19th December. Only German citizens and residents and their families will be allowed in.
  • Most UK travellers are banned from from France.
  • Austria's lockdown has ended so tourism has restarted, but there are restrictions on non-vaccinated travellers.
  • Italy now requires pre-departure tests from all EU travellers.
  • Switzerland has changed its testing requirements for all arrivals.
  • UK arrivals into Poland will have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival.
  • Only fully-vaccinated UK travellers are currently allowed into Spain
I am little tired of hearing that the 'death rates are low', that's meaningless. How many need to die before it's a problem?.

Imagine if by Xmas Eve things have got far worse, will he recall Parliament non Xmas day to discuss a circuit break or when a lockdown night happen.

The "knock-on" of the Festive season will happen post-New Years Day.

We are already (supposed to be) taking mitigating measures such as boosters, masks on transport, shops etc.

It`ll be interesting to compare the numbers and compare Scotland/Wales with England.

The "knock-on" of the Festive season will happen post-New Years Day.

We are already (supposed to be) taking mitigating measures such as boosters, masks on transport, shops etc.

It`ll be interesting to compare the numbers and compare Scotland/Wales with England.
The reason a
He isn’t follo Scotland and more than likely Wales and Northern Ireland is just in case come this time next year video and photographs of the ministers and others associates over a glass of wine and some Brie. and he can answer Parliament And say we weren’t that far ahead with our restrictions.

I am little tired of hearing that the 'death rates are low', that's meaningless. How many need to die before it's a problem?.

He told us; till the bodies are piled up in the streets. Still doubt about how high the piles have to be though.

It's not meaningless.

When deciding what measures to take against a disease, you have to take into account both its transmissibility and its deadliness.
If you only cared about deadliness, you'd have to lock down every year because of influenza (which kills 25-30k); if you only cared about transmissibility, then you'd have to lock down for any rhinovirus that goes round each year.

What has made Covid (both the original strains, and delta) 'special' is this combination - it's both incredibly contagious, and (compared to most common colds) extremely deadly, particularly to at-risk individuals.

With Omicron, we don't have the data yet. We do know it's absurdly contagious. We don't yet know how deadly it is. My understanding is that there have not yet been enough hospital cases to draw any statistically significant conclusions.

So whilst I can absolutely understand countries taking precautionary lockdown measures whilst we wait for that data to come in......when we do have the data, then mortality rate has to be one of the factors that helps determine what countermeasures are appropriate.

It's not meaningless.

When deciding what measures to take against a disease, you have to take into account both its transmissibility and its deadliness.
If you only cared about deadliness, you'd have to lock down every year because of influenza (which kills 25-30k); if you only cared about transmissibility, then you'd have to lock down for any rhinovirus that goes round each year.

What has made Covid (both the original strains, and delta) 'special' is this combination - it's both incredibly contagious, and (compared to most common colds) extremely deadly, particularly to at-risk individuals.

With Omicron, we don't have the data yet. We do know it's absurdly contagious. We don't yet know how deadly it is. My understanding is that there have not yet been enough hospital cases to draw any statistically significant conclusions.

So whilst I can absolutely understand countries taking precautionary lockdown measures whilst we wait for that data to come in......when we do have the data, then mortality rate has to be one of the factors that helps determine what countermeasures are appropriate.

And there is the crux.
Do you "go early" before the data makes sense?
Or wait until the data is in hand and folk say it`s too late?

Or look at SA and the immense difference between cases and deaths in a population that is only 25% jabbed?

And there is the crux.
Do you "go early" before the data makes sense?
Or wait until the data is in hand and folk say it`s too late?

Or look at SA and the immense difference between cases and deaths in a population that is only 25% jabbed?
For Johnson it's 'better to be sorry than safe' as he doesn't do sorry.

That said the SA data looks promising. 🤞

I doubt he's giving it straight to his mates like your lot are. (y)

Doubt even 10% of readers follow links.

Nope, he`ll probably use it on his war on motorists. (y)

A friend of mine lives in Essex and was a lead paramedic in the City, because of the shifts he often had to pay two lots of CC so he transferred out to "rural" Romford..... as did many others.

Back
Top Bottom