country to lockdown friday

Nobody can really know what's going on without proper testing. Oxford are getting together with Cambridge and the University of Kent to start the first major programme of testing people for anti-bodies in the UK this week. This is the test that shows whether a person has contracted the virus or not and the Goverment has so far failed to implement. Preliminary results will be available within a few days.

It's all 'might' and 'could' though. Then again it is the mighty Oxford (Uni)!
I have to admit I would trust someone at Oxford university far more than someone from a place id never heard of before and sounds like a former FE college taken over by that Guerrero chap who knobbled City! Who the heck is John Hopkins anyway?
Saying that, agree that probably best to keep this quiet until testing confirms it, so as to not undermine the measures in place

It's all 'might' and 'could' though. Then again it is the mighty Oxford (Uni)!
It will always be ‘might’ and ‘could’. Scientists dont deal in absolutes and the press doesn’t deal with anything else.
A scientist might understand that something is unlikely (eg 5% chance) but will use lots of “might not” because the press are dying for a black and white statement and will batter them in retrospect if the 1:20 does occur.

I did some press a few years ago and some of the outlets were scandalous with what they wanted me to say. We discovered something that may turn out to be relevant to some kinds of cancer, and the channel 10 tv bod on the phone said “you scientists are so cagey with your words. If you say you’ve found a cure for cancer I’ll put you on the news”.

Apart from climate science though. That is totally settled ;) *

* To be clear, the comment is dripping in sarcasm!

Back
Top Bottom