Home Match Day Thread 7/5/23 L1: OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There were times yesterday when it was like watching kids football. Nobody shows any composure in the box and looks up! How many times did a player just leather the ball at goal when there were 6 or 7 Accy bodies in the way and a team mate in the better position for an easy tap in??

Browne, Joseph and Goodrham were all guilty of it (I’ll cut young Tyler some slack because of his inexperience)

I’ll probably get hammered for this but I do wonder if we had started Murphy - possibly ahead of Goodrham - things might have been different? For all Murphy’s faults this season, he does have that little extra about him to maybe look up at the crucial time to pick a team mate out. The chance he created for Joseph’s goal v Cheltenham illustrates that perfectly.

And just to add - I do really rate Goodrham. He’s going to be a great player for us.
Agree but i think Goodrham was the least wasteful out of the three of them.

Looked at the stats after my boss messaged me to ask how we lost that game and it just shows how wasteful we are in front of goal, poor finishing and terrible decision making cost us a win in a season where they have been few and far between.

You can see why we got 47 points when you can’t put away a very poor Accrington team who were wide open in that first half, they were terrible and looked like what they were, a team who have deservedly been relegated, we had them on the ropes after going 1 up early, had all the ball and we’re getting into dangerous areas yet we’re just so wasteful.

A half decent team puts that to bed by half time, these players just don’t have the right mentality to achieve anything, unfortunately we are stuck with a lot of them for another season.
Yeah, but according to Scotchegg we would have scored those chances if we needed to, so all’s well and good. Only a few tweaks here and there and we’ll be pushing for the autos next season. Yeah right!

Last edited:
Just had a little look back through your posts. I notice that you didn't post at all after Forest Green, and the only posts after Cheltenham were fairly critical of Josh Murphy.

Yet today you're all over here moaning about everything including the kids coming on the pitch.

Says it all really.
I’m not all over this moaning, just made an initial comment and now responding to others comments re; my initial comment.

Also, we applied ourselves better against poor opposition in Cheltenham and FGR’s, so not a great need to comment.

And re; your comment about me criticising Murphy, if you actually read it, I was responding to the Alfie May’s tackle on Browne, whereby, I said that Murphy was cleverly holding him off so that he couldn’t get to Browne.

I don’t mind losing when we genuinely put the effort in, but when we clearly took our foot off the pedal yesterday, combined with the poor decision making/finishing, then I will comment, especially when 10k+ fans could be bothered.

Last edited:
Not all over this moaning, just made an initial comment and now responding to to others comments re; my initial one.

Also, we applied ourselves better against poor opposition in Cheltenham and FGR’s, so not a great need to comment.

I don’t mind losing when we genuinely put the effort in, but when we clearly took our foot off the pedal yesterday, combined with the poor decision making/finishing, then I will comment, especially when 10k+ fans could be bothered.

No need to comment about our first win in 18? Nothing about staying up? But can't wait to rush on here after a defeat! As I said, it's clear that you can't bring yourself to say anything positive and only want to moan. I wonder why you bother at all? Maybe you're still upset that MApp didn't return?

We all know its been a poor season. I should imagine many who post on here including myself have seen a lot worse. The summer is a great time for speculation as to incomings and outgoings. The length of contract some players are on is a real problem for the manager. Despite everything we have let in 56 goals in 22/23 as against 59 in 21/22. 8 of these coming under the 10 games of Liam Manning's managership. So I would know where I would start to look to strengthen.

No need to comment about our first win in 18? Nothing about staying up? But can't wait to rush on here after a defeat! As I said, it's clear that you can't bring yourself to say anything positive and only want to moan. I wonder why you bother at all? Maybe you're still upset that MApp didn't return?
Yes, I was happier that we beat Cheltenham and FGR’s, but f**k me, if you want to live off of those 2 wins then jog on.

And I’ve been bothering for 45+years, so don’t speak to me about bothering.

Re; my comments yesterday, I was very disappointed that we couldn’t finish a very poor season by remaining professional and winning a very winnable game to send away 10k+ home fans who could be bothered, and if you cannot see that/expect that, then that’s why we ended up in the position we did this season, because if we all took your stance then the club/players will think it’s okay.

I think some of the criticism on elements of yesterday's performance is harsh.

Unfortunatly we did not finish enough of our first half chances yesterday, partly down to wrong options being taken and partly due to some rank poor fiinishing. We then missed a couple of decent 2nd half chances including free headers from corners. I thought the effort and application was there. Joseph certainly was putting himself about, tracking back and finding space. Cam Bran was making himself available and screaming for the ball (on one occasion he screamed for it but it would have taken a 50 yard cross field pass!), he definitly was giving his all. Finally towards the end I thought Findlay had done himself an injury committing himself to a tackle, it looked like he'd over-stretched and the Accie player looked concerned. Anyway a minute later Findlay is throwing himself at a header, going over the top of the player and landing heavily. Findlay looks to have a great attitude, I think he may be moved on and replaced by a ball playing centre back but he seems like a proper pro to me.

As for a few of the players attracting comments:-

If Marcus Browne could finish more reliably and show slightly better decision making in the final third then he'd be a top championship player. He isn't and that is why he is in division 1. But he has great ball carrying ability and offers a lot. It's a big season next year for him; I think he has 1 year left on his contract (plus we have a 1 year option). I reckon Manning is delighted he is part of the squad and I think we'll have a big season from him next year; he's not a centre forward but a useful playing wide of the striker.

I like Kyle Joseph and think there is a real player there. From my North Stand seat yesterday you could really see how his off ball movement created things, his application is there, has pace and has scored 10 goals in a struggling team injury hit season. Maybe it's just that my EFL knowledge isn't what it used to be, but are there many other 21 year olds who've scored 10 for a Div 1 team in similar circumstances this year? From what I have heard he also seems to be a player willing to listen and improve, and I think someone like Manning could improve him further. We can debate all day long what a 'reasonable' transfer fee and wages would be, but if he was within our budget then I'd like to see him next year.

Perhaps the reason for Murphy contributing a bit more consistently is that he is now being properly managed? His stinging shot yesterday was a brilliantly hit strike, and then the awareness he showed when he beat a couple of players and then pulled the ball back to Joseph who blazed over was a sign he is a cut above. If he wants it he clearly has the ability to get back to the level that earnt him big moves, and big salaries previously. Some of his play yesterday and against Cheltenham show how he earnt a £25k ish week contract at Cardiff. It will be really interesting to see how he does next year.

It's been highlighted by most the squad churn that is needed to get us back on track, I think to be challenging for promotion we need 10 or 11 players capable of being 1st team regulars. That is a big ask to sort out in 1 transfer window, for starters I think our priorities should be:-

1) Goalkeeper - on the basis that Eastwood sees out his final year as number 2. Then Stevens is sold and McGinty is loaned out. Eastwood has done well this season, and better than many thought he would do but I don't think at this stage he is a top 8 Div 1 keeper (certainly not with the ball at his feet).

2) Right back - a genuine right back who can support the attack. In the George Baldock style, big ask I know! We need a left back as well, but I think Ciaran Brown looks more assured there than Long does at right back.

3) Holding midfielder - someone disciplined, who can read the game and cover. A little experience would not go amiss.

4) 2 centre forwards, we need to aim 'realsitically' high. Players of the calibre of Ryan Hardie, are any of the Ipswich forwards available (i.e. I'm sure they'll strenthen up top) etc. It's a big ask but could we afford 2 big new signings, re-sign Matty Taylor as 3rd choice which would then allow G'OD to get a 6 month loan in Div 2? How high is Matty's stock after a hit and miss loan at Vale? I think he'd have scored goals under Manning,

5 & 6) Two out and out widemen.

Then I'd like to see a ball playing centre back, possibly created by moving Findlay on. It's going to be a really interesting Summer.

After a shocking season 10000+ home fans was brilliant. I've just started taking my 6 year old daughter and it was great to see a packed family stand, although I do still find it funny seeing Dads who 20 years ago would have been on it from 8:30am (as I used to be!) on some random away trip now sitting their with their soft drinks and ruck sacks full of colouring pads etc if their children get bored. Guess that is the circle of life! Their certainly is no better feeling than sharing your passion with your child, hopefully the move will happen to allow this to continue.

Up The Ox, bring on 23/24!

I think some of the criticism on elements of yesterday's performance is harsh.

Unfortunatly we did not finish enough of our first half chances yesterday, partly down to wrong options being taken and partly due to some rank poor fiinishing. We then missed a couple of decent 2nd half chances including free headers from corners. I thought the effort and application was there. Joseph certainly was putting himself about, tracking back and finding space. Cam Bran was making himself available and screaming for the ball (on one occasion he screamed for it but it would have taken a 50 yard cross field pass!), he definitly was giving his all. Finally towards the end I thought Findlay had done himself an injury committing himself to a tackle, it looked like he'd over-stretched and the Accie player looked concerned. Anyway a minute later Findlay is throwing himself at a header, going over the top of the player and landing heavily. Findlay looks to have a great attitude, I think he may be moved on and replaced by a ball playing centre back but he seems like a proper pro to me.

As for a few of the players attracting comments:-

If Marcus Browne could finish more reliably and show slightly better decision making in the final third then he'd be a top championship player. He isn't and that is why he is in division 1. But he has great ball carrying ability and offers a lot. It's a big season next year for him; I think he has 1 year left on his contract (plus we have a 1 year option). I reckon Manning is delighted he is part of the squad and I think we'll have a big season from him next year; he's not a centre forward but a useful playing wide of the striker.

I like Kyle Joseph and think there is a real player there. From my North Stand seat yesterday you could really see how his off ball movement created things, his application is there, has pace and has scored 10 goals in a struggling team injury hit season. Maybe it's just that my EFL knowledge isn't what it used to be, but are there many other 21 year olds who've scored 10 for a Div 1 team in similar circumstances this year? From what I have heard he also seems to be a player willing to listen and improve, and I think someone like Manning could improve him further. We can debate all day long what a 'reasonable' transfer fee and wages would be, but if he was within our budget then I'd like to see him next year.

Perhaps the reason for Murphy contributing a bit more consistently is that he is now being properly managed? His stinging shot yesterday was a brilliantly hit strike, and then the awareness he showed when he beat a couple of players and then pulled the ball back to Joseph who blazed over was a sign he is a cut above. If he wants it he clearly has the ability to get back to the level that earnt him big moves, and big salaries previously. Some of his play yesterday and against Cheltenham show how he earnt a £25k ish week contract at Cardiff. It will be really interesting to see how he does next year.

It's been highlighted by most the squad churn that is needed to get us back on track, I think to be challenging for promotion we need 10 or 11 players capable of being 1st team regulars. That is a big ask to sort out in 1 transfer window, for starters I think our priorities should be:-

1) Goalkeeper - on the basis that Eastwood sees out his final year as number 2. Then Stevens is sold and McGinty is loaned out. Eastwood has done well this season, and better than many thought he would do but I don't think at this stage he is a top 8 Div 1 keeper (certainly not with the ball at his feet).

2) Right back - a genuine right back who can support the attack. In the George Baldock style, big ask I know! We need a left back as well, but I think Ciaran Brown looks more assured there than Long does at right back.

3) Holding midfielder - someone disciplined, who can read the game and cover. A little experience would not go amiss.

4) 2 centre forwards, we need to aim 'realsitically' high. Players of the calibre of Ryan Hardie, are any of the Ipswich forwards available (i.e. I'm sure they'll strenthen up top) etc. It's a big ask but could we afford 2 big new signings, re-sign Matty Taylor as 3rd choice which would then allow G'OD to get a 6 month loan in Div 2? How high is Matty's stock after a hit and miss loan at Vale? I think he'd have scored goals under Manning,

5 & 6) Two out and out widemen.

Then I'd like to see a ball playing centre back, possibly created by moving Findlay on. It's going to be a really interesting Summer.

After a shocking season 10000+ home fans was brilliant. I've just started taking my 6 year old daughter and it was great to see a packed family stand, although I do still find it funny seeing Dads who 20 years ago would have been on it from 8:30am (as I used to be!) on some random away trip now sitting their with their soft drinks and ruck sacks full of colouring pads etc if their children get bored. Guess that is the circle of life! Their certainly is no better feeling than sharing your passion with your child, hopefully the move will happen to allow this to continue.

Up The Ox, bring on 23/24!
Agree completely with you

I thought Goodhram’s decision making when it was basically 4 or 5 of our players against 2 of theirs was very poor. Only had to pass that and I think we score.
Yep thats why i said least. He made mistakes but i thought Browne was far worse.

Yesterday was a game of two halves 1st was ours and we didn’t take our chances which has to be addressed, 2nd half the team were packing their suitcases ready for their holidays, and paid the price.
Issues that need to be addressed and swiftly hopefully Manning is doing that today.

Yep thats why i said least. He made mistakes but i thought Browne was far worse.
On his day, Browne is superb. Trouble is he doesn’t seem to have any respect for this level and possibly parts of the team around him (hard to blame him at times). You watch him and it’s as though he thinks he belongs somewhere else and this is all just a bad dream. It’s a confidence issue, just like Murphy, except it’s the other extreme. He’s over confident at times and needs to temper that slightly to remember he’s at this level for a reason and got it all to prove.

I do like Browne and I like his work ethic. I think he cares about the club and if we were in the championship I genuinely believe he’d be a different animal because he’d feel tested. But I think he feels L1 is beneath him and that smacks of the whole sickening impression we got with Tim Williams and Karl Robinson - it all has that feel about it. Unwarranted arrogance. That needs to change and if it does, he could very easily have a season like Scott Twine did for Manning (injury permitting).

On his day, Browne is superb. Trouble is he doesn’t seem to have any respect for this level and possibly parts of the team around him (hard to blame him at times). You watch him and it’s as though he thinks he belongs somewhere else and this is all just a bad dream. It’s a confidence issue, just like Murphy, except it’s the other extreme. He’s over confident at times and needs to temper that slightly to remember he’s at this level for a reason and got it all to prove.

I do like Browne and I like his work ethic. I think he cares about the club and if we were in the championship I genuinely believe he’d be a different animal because he’d feel tested. But I think he feels L1 is beneath him and that smacks of the whole sickening impression we got with Tim Williams and Karl Robinson - it all has that feel about it. Unwarranted arrogance. That needs to change and if it does, he could very easily have a season like Scott Twine did for Manning (injury permitting).
Well, the reality is, he’s not consistently meeting League One standards.

If I was in charge I’d definitely try to offload Browne and Murphy because I don’t believe they contribute enough at this level. Yes, there are moments, but we need more than that.

Players I’d get rid of if given the chance; Henry, Bodin, Baldock, Browne, Murphy, Findlay, Anderson, Wildschut, Seddon, McGinty.

Players out on loan; O’Donkor

Wouldn’t take on any of the players we had on loan, including Joseph.

All the players I’d try to recruit would hopefully be better than the ones left e.g. Long, Moore, McGuane etc as these would potentially be my 2nd choice players, but good enough as back-up/cover.

I’d be looking for pacy wingers e.g. like Shodipo, strong target man/striker (a league one version of Harry Kane e.g. can hold the ball up, but also play/move. Another striker in the mould of Robbie Keane, plus a back-up, possible Taylor, but not sure. A good intelligent CDM, good full backs e.g. like George Baldock, and lastly a creative midfielder. Oh, also another keeper potentially moving Eastwood to no.2

Think that’s it off the top of my head!!

Well, the reality is, he’s not consistently meeting League One standards.

If I was in charge I’d definitely try to offload Browne and Murphy because I don’t believe they contribute enough at this level. Yes, there are moments, but we need more than that.

Players I’d get rid of if given the chance; Henry, Bodin, Baldock, Browne, Murphy, Findlay, Anderson, Wildschut, Seddon, McGinty.

Players out on loan; O’Donkor

All the players I’d try to recruit would hopefully be better than the ones left e.g. Long, Moore, McGuane etc as these would potentially be my 2nd choice players, but good enough as back-up/cover.

I’d be looking for pacy wingers e.g. like Shodipo, strong target man/striker (a league one version of Harry Kane e.g. can hold the ball up, but also play/move. Another striker in the mould of Robbie Keane, plus a back-up, possible Taylor, but not sure. A good intelligent CDM, good full backs e.g. like George Baldock, and lastly a creative midfielder. Oh, also another keeper potentially moving Eastwood to no.2

Think that’s it off the top of my head!!
Shodipo who’s been on the bench for boring Lincoln?

If I was in charge I’d definitely try to offload ... Bodin, Browne, Murphy

The same Bodin, Browne, Murphy and Joseph who bossed our recent games?

Who scored 7 of the 11 goals we scored under Manning with a further 3 assists?

And relegating Moore and Eastwood to back ups at best despite both being in excellent form in the last couple of months?

Pretty glad you're not in charge!

Back
Top Bottom