Home Match Day Thread 7/5/23 L1: OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dunno, there has to be a mixture. Every team needs its Anthony Fordes and Kevin Sandwiths.

We don’t have enough first teamers at the moment, priority has to be to improve the first 11 before worrying about the squad.

We simply can’t afford another bad transfer window, if we end up weaker then we are down, we have have taken 56 points from our last 55 league games, no point pretending this is run of bad form and we are underperforming, nobody underperforms for this long.

We don’t need the players who can do a job if someone is injured, who can fill in somewhere, who we might get something out of for half a season or will be ready in a season or two, we need oven ready players who can come in and be firing, improve the team straight away.

We don’t have the luxury of any of that because of how bad the last 4 transfer windows have been, with Joseph/Bate gone we have a squad left that’s weaker than the one we got 47 points with, we desperately need a good window.

It would be nice if we could actually fill all of our available squad spaces, and not by allocating them to players who don't need to be in the total number such as the youngsters.

I think we have to be careful not to fall into the sentimentality trap. Matty Taylor has been an excellent player for us - but last season he was pretty dreadful. There may be reasons for that (such as the poor supply to *any* striker) and loaning him out without a replacement was certainly very poor (I would certainly rather we'd kept him than had nobody) but if he wasn't our player and you looked at his performance last season (for both us and Port Vale) - would you want to sign him?

I'm not a big believer in signing players to be 'squad' players. Every experienced player we sign should be good enough and fit enough to think they can get into the first team and hang onto the place. I don't want any more 'well, he is good in the dressing room' players.
I agree with this. As much as I’ve been a fan of Matty’s, and believe that KR and the club made a huge mistake in loaning him out in January, maybe it’s now time to move on, for both the club and him.

I’ll probably get hammered for this but if it was a choice between Taylor or Stockton, for a similar cost, I’d take Stockton.

I agree with this. As much as I’ve been a fan of Matty’s, and believe that KR and the club made a huge mistake in loaning him out in January, maybe it’s now time to move on, for both the club and him.

I’ll probably get hammered for this but if it was a choice between Taylor or Stockton, for a similar cost, I’d take Stockton.
So would I

Any excuse to go for a few beers hey !

I wonder if he could have a role at the club a bit like John Mousinho the past few years.
A coaching role to help our strikers and of course he will train to keep fit when needed. Maybe fourth choice striker,occasionally getting on the bench and playing in the early tin pot trophy /league cup games.
If our two main strikers are injured which happens all the time he would be a ready made replacement a bit like Mous.
Obviously his wage would be reduced but who in our league or below will take a punt on a striker whose pace has gone.

Just out of interest who would you get rid of/keep if you had the choice?
The players that you are suggesting to get rid of are all under contract aren’t they. I suppose we could pay them all off and leave nothing in the budget for anyone else.

The players that you are suggesting to get rid of are all under contract aren’t they. I suppose we could pay them all off and leave nothing in the budget for anyone else.
Not sure who we need to pay off, but they are the players I’d like to get rid of, so if another can take them on or we’re financially able to offload them that’s what I’d do, but the fear is, we’ll have to wait a few months/year to ultimately get a team that serious for promotion as these players won’t be taking us anywhere.

May be the 2 Chuckle Brother accountants could do some financial wheeling and dealing, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

2 of the players I mentioned have gone (Anderson & Gorrin), but that’s easy.

And that doesn’t ring any alarm bells?

Let’s sign first team players to play football.
In a squad of 24 players not everyone is going to be a top player.
1. Because you can’t afford it
2. Top players wouldn’t even get into the match day squad and would become disillusioned

So you have to have say 16/18 really good players who will be pushing for a first team place then a few others like Forde/Williams who were utility players the rest would be made up of youth players Goodrham, O Donkor etc and experienced players like Mous / Henry last season.
Some will force themselves into the team with good performances

Not sure who we need to pay off, but they are the players I’d like to get rid of, so if another can take them on or we’re financially able to offload them that’s what I’d do, but the fear is, we’ll have to wait a few months/year to ultimately get a team that serious for promotion as these players won’t be taking us anywhere.

May be the 2 Chuckle Brother accountants could do some financial wheeling and dealing, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

2 of the players I mentioned have gone (Anderson & Gorrin), but that’s easy.
Definitely wouldn’t be paying any of them off, some should be “encouraged” to leave more likely. Wildschutt is a good example.

Back
Top Bottom