Away Match Build Up 4/12/2021 L1: Sunderland v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Seddon suspended I would move Long to lb, reward Hanson and McNally for their efforts last week by keeping them in the side and bring in whichever of Moore/thornily has recovered best.

With Seddon suspended I would move Long to lb, reward Hanson and McNally for their efforts last week by keeping them in the side and bring in whichever of Moore/thornily has recovered best.
Moore has been in training pictures so I would think he's the one looking more likely. From what KR has said some have come through this covid hit relatively unharmed where a few others may need longer recovery time, not unlike Sam Long did. The best news is that Matty Taylor was also in the training pictures from yesterday so I would think he's in line to start tomorrow which is a huge boost.

My team for tomorrow with Sedds out, and based on who's been spotted in training too:

Easty
Hanson McNally Moore Long
Kane
Henry CamBran
Whyte Taylor Holland

Even if Forde and Thornily are available, I think Hanson and McNally were standouts in the last two games (of the fringe players, Long and the midfield were also excellent) and they have earned their place in Saturday's team.

Head says 1-1 draw, heart says 3-1 win. Would take either result happily.

I said this on the Rotherham thread, but I really don't get the complete 180 that everyone has made on Hanson this week.
Yes, he was great against a very poor Fleetwood team, but I thought he struggled against the Millers (outside of the one epic old school tackle), and I just think that Long is a vastly better RB option against what, presumably, will be another competent opponent.

It's hard to pick a team without knowing who's healthy and who's still struggling with the Covid after-effects. But if I assume that all the Covid sufferers are back (but Jack is not), I would go with:

Eastwood
Long Moore McNally Thornily
Kane
Brannagan Henry
Sykes Taylor Holland

And the only position that I really have any doubts over is RW......but although Gavin Whyte is starting to show some signs of life, his end product has still been severely lacking. Sykes has been the better player so far this season, so deserves his place back if he's fit.

I said this on the Rotherham thread, but I really don't get the complete 180 that everyone has made on Hanson this week.
Yes, he was great against a very poor Fleetwood team, but I thought he struggled against the Millers (outside of the one epic old school tackle), and I just think that Long is a vastly better RB option against what, presumably, will be another competent opponent.

It's hard to pick a team without knowing who's healthy and who's still struggling with the Covid after-effects. But if I assume that all the Covid sufferers are back (but Jack is not), I would go with:

Eastwood
Kane
Brannagan Henry
Sykes Taylor Holland

And the only position that I really have any doubts over is RW......but although Gavin Whyte is starting to show some signs of life, his end product has still been severely lacking. Sykes has been the better player so far this season, so deserves his place back if he's fit.

Same as Agyei innit, opinions change very quickly on here. Agree players should be rewarded for good performances, and with the LB slot open, we can still get Longy in the line up. Massive.

Anyone any idea what the news is on Jack Stevens is.
I heard that he had glandular fever weeks ago, but would have thought that he would have been well on the road to recovery by now

Eastwood
Kane
Brannagan Henry
Sykes Taylor Holland

Dont think well see Sykes so Whyte on the right has a ring to it.

Eastwood
Kane
Brannagan Henry
Sykes Taylor Holland

Dont think well see Sykes so Whyte on the right has a ring to it.

Eastwood
Kane
Brannagan Henry
Sykes Taylor Holland

Or, not everyone on here agrees with the shoutiest posters, so when the latter make a noisy about-face they are only switching to opinions that many already hold

Or, not everyone on here agrees with the shoutiest posters, so when the latter make a noisy about-face they are only switching to opinions that many already hold

So you're saying that a lot of less shouty posters think that Hanson is a decent right back, and always have?

In which case, I'll respectfully disagree. I just don't think he's positionally sound enough, I think he struggles against high quality wingers.....and I don't think he's strong enough in the air, or going forwards, to make up for that in the way that, say, Josh Ruffels was.

I don't hate him as a player - he's got a decent engine, and is generally good in the tackle. He can play a good pass, even if his radar is sometimes set to scattergun. But I think his appropriate spot in our current squad is defensive midfield cover. If we're a goal up tomorrow with twenty to go, then I'll be absolutely content to see him come on in place of Henry or McGuane to shore things up. But I don't think he's a RB in anything other than a desperate emergency, and last week didn't convince me otherwise......

So you're saying that a lot of less shouty posters think that Hanson is a decent right back, and always have?

In which case, I'll respectfully disagree. I just don't think he's positionally sound enough, I think he struggles against high quality wingers.....and I don't think he's strong enough in the air, or going forwards, to make up for that in the way that, say, Josh Ruffels was.

I don't hate him as a player - he's got a decent engine, and is generally good in the tackle. He can play a good pass, even if his radar is sometimes set to scattergun. But I think his appropriate spot in our current squad is defensive midfield cover. If we're a goal up tomorrow with twenty to go, then I'll be absolutely content to see him come on in place of Henry or McGuane to shore things up. But I don't think he's a RB in anything other than a desperate emergency, and last week didn't convince me otherwise......
Agree he did better although the part of his game that still rankles with me is his slowness to get back if we’re in trouble and he’s upfield. My son pointed it out and I did see this happen, more of a jog than a sprint. To be fair to him he may have been blowing out of his a**e due to lack of game time.

Sat here watching the start of the build up of Gateshead v Charlton and then seeing the tie of Borehamwood v St Albans on the screen and thinking this:- here I am after working a near on 10 hours today and in just 12 hours from now I will be setting off for a near on 550 round trip to Sunlan and thinking... should I be happy with my lot or should I have had an extra hour with my psychiatrist tonight. You guys and gals who have abstained from travelling tomorrow please let me know. Both these football league clubs (Sunlan and The U's) are out of the FA Cup and either BW or St bloody Albans will have the chance to dance hopefully after the match with one of the big boys while we concentrate on the 'league'. I wonder (great song by madness) if this is really sitting well with the board and KR.

Nevertheless, if you are going tomorrow have a safe journey there and back and if you aren't don't spill your cereal on your pyjamas lol.

COYY'S

Sat here watching the start of the build up of Gateshead v Charlton and then seeing the tie of Borehamwood v St Albans on the screen and thinking this:- here I am after working a near on 10 hours today and in just 12 hours from now I will be setting off for a near on 550 round trip to Sunlan and thinking... should I be happy with my lot or should I have had an extra hour with my psychiatrist tonight. You guys and gals who have abstained from travelling tomorrow please let me know. Both these football league clubs (Sunlan and The U's) are out of the FA Cup and either BW or St bloody Albans will have the chance to dance hopefully after the match with one of the big boys while we concentrate on the 'league'. I wonder (great song by madness) if this is really sitting well with the board and KR.

Nevertheless, if you are going tomorrow have a safe journey there and back and if you aren't don't spill your cereal on your pyjamas lol.

COYY'S

If we finish tomorrow in 5th with a game in hand over a couple of teams around us then I think Robinson and the board will be pretty happy. Of course a big draw in the cup would have been fantastic, but league success has to be the priority.

COYY'S

I have abstained from travelling.
Mr Appleton has given an interview where he says how much cup runs contributed to the coffers in his time here.

If we finish tomorrow in 5th with a game in hand over a couple of teams around us then I think Robinson and the board will be pretty happy. Of course a big draw in the cup would have been fantastic, but league success has to be the priority.

Agree . Getting in to the 3rd round doesn't guarantee you a big draw anyways, still lots of league 1/2 will be left in round 3. We were lucky we had the glamour tie and replay against Newcastle a couple of years back. Concentrate on the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom