Home Match Day Thread 3/11/2020 L1 OUFC v Rochdale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair do’s for them sticking in there to get the 3 points. Shodipo again proving his value. Fast turning out to be the best signing Robinson has made for a while. Glad he plays golf with Les Ferdinand!

Had flashbacks to Mackie/Bradford in the second half - the Rochdale guy missing an absolute sitter (one of the worst we've seen at the Kasstad) and then us flying up the other end to score and go ahead.

Before that, I thought it was a pretty even game that could have gone either way. After that, we were absolutely rampant and could have scored more.

Thought the CBs were excellent today. Particularly first half, they were getting into a ton of good positions to ping balls into the box, but Long & Moore dealt with them generally really well. Course two goals gets Moore the nod for MoM - the second was a header that would've made Matty Elliott proud.

Taylor's work rate was amazing - now time to give him a bit of a rest methinks.
Shodipo was very lively - he doesn't look as if he's a 90 minute player yet, but first 60 or last 30, he's looks like he's going to cause some problems.

We deserved it in the end, but Dale were much better than I had anticipated they would be. I for one had them down as nailed on relegation candidates, but they played some decent stuff. Their #14 was excellent, thought he looked a real threat. The last two goals were lovely, and we dominated the final quarter of the game, but let's not pretend it wouldn't be a totally different story if they hadn't missed that absolute sitter - from which we go up the other end and score.

I do think we are in a false league position. We've had some very tough league games to start out (as others have pointed out, having Posh, Charlton and Fleetwood, as well as the surprise package Lincoln, away in our first 8 games, along with home games being called off all over the place) that, because they've come in quick succession, have given little chance to build any momentum or belief. And we have been unlucky - Gillingham's avalanche of missed sitters, for example, or even Saturday's missed pen. I also think we finally have, more than any time since we came up from L2, and maybe before, genuine depth. Being able to bring on Sykes and Shadipo changed the game. Along with Winnall, Brannagan, Cooper and Kelly, we have some serious quality in rotation, which is great to see. I also doubt Agyei gets into out strongest XI but I thought he was brilliant today. So much pace and power, he looks increasingly ready to play a big part for us this season.

It is pretty alarming how dependent we are on Gorrin though as an entire team to tick. He looked like he's getting back to his best today, and we looked much less vulnerable for it. I know the defensive unit is improving, and Moore was excellent today, but it does still need that shield in front of it to be at all solid.

Overall, obviously pleasing to get the three points and look so comfortable in the end, but I feel that comfortableness did paper over some cracks. That said, we need wins, and wins breed confidence, so here's to onwards and upwards. Knocking Posh out of the club would really give everyone a boost.

Good win.

Moore, Long, Gorrin, Forde all played well

Agyei, Shodipo, Sykes all showed glimpses of what they can do

Hopefully this can build confidence
And McGuane was ..... poor on the wing but actually did better in the centre ...

I am sure Shadipo can’t feature in the FA Cup but Shodipo might be able to.

[even the club failed to tweet his surname correctly after he bagged that beauty]

Good result, no less than we should expect. We made Rochdale look good for an hour which is a concern.

Mcguane is a complete enigma whats going on there. Moore, Long, Gorrin, Forde,Taylor all very good.

Overall important result but we did not dominate possession like we did generally last year, we were playing on the break for significant periods of the game until we went ahead.

Wheres the problem? I don't think its the defence, they look like they are being isolated 1 on1 which suggests they aren't being protected. So then its either the midfield 3 not covering or the wingers/inside forwards not tracking back. Both Agyei and Mcguane as wingers/IFs were replaced today which is probably a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom