Home Match Day Thread 3/10/20 L1 - OUFC v Crewe Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was being a cryptic sod on the “getting the crowds in” thread at just after 11am, I’m not sure how the club didn’t find out until around 1:40pm that there was an issue. Somebody must have known, which then presents another issue of why the hell nobody told the management.

I’m absolutely stunned that Crewe turned up and seemed almost surprised at being told there wouldn’t be a match. How on earth could they have thought there would be? And what were they thinking letting their players go into the stadium and go in and out of dressing rooms? Even if they went to the ground they should’ve stayed on the bus until they were told by an OUFC rep that it was okay for them to enter.

Highlights the massive problems faced by football, especially lower down. Who is in control of this in terms of the authorities? They’ve had over half a year to prepare!
Yes this true , and spot on.

If I was being a cryptic sod on the “getting the crowds in” thread at just after 11am, I’m not sure how the club didn’t find out until around 1:40pm that there was an issue. Somebody must have known, which then presents another issue of why the hell nobody told the management.

I’m absolutely stunned that Crewe turned up and seemed almost surprised at being told there wouldn’t be a match. How on earth could they have thought there would be? And what were they thinking letting their players go into the stadium and go in and out of dressing rooms? Even if they went to the ground they should’ve stayed on the bus until they were told by an OUFC rep that it was okay for them to enter.

Highlights the massive problems faced by football, especially lower down. Who is in control of this in terms of the authorities? They’ve had over half a year to prepare!
Totally agree, what planet are Crewe on? Don't they know that there's a virulent virus about the U.K. at the moment?

Valid points... but it doesn’t take half a year to develop some common sense.

If they have no common sense now, they never will.

Valid points... but it doesn’t take half a year to develop some common sense.

If they have no common sense now, they never will.

Don’t mention common sense for Christ sake. We know that’s been sadly lacking all year across the country..

Yes Dave you have F*****d up

EjaWXjKWkAMZfWW

If I was being a cryptic sod on the “getting the crowds in” thread at just after 11am, I’m not sure how the club didn’t find out until around 1:40pm that there was an issue.

3 possible scenarios here.

1. Crewe knew hours before they let Oxford United know. They then turned up at the ground, putting their own players at further risk, and all our players, the match officials, as well as all those involved with the operational running of a club on match day. If this is true, then it is a very serious allegation and could possibly lead to criminal charges for intentionally endangering others. If this was leaked a number of hours before Crewe arrived then I would have hoped you would have advised the club as such to minimise risk to all involved?

2. Oxford United were aware, but for some reason decided not to make this information public. By these actions, they have put their own staff and the match officials, press etc at risk as well as incurring huge costs in preparing for a game that would never take place, and also having to pay for a deep clean of changing rooms etc. If true this would be incredibly reckless by all involved.

3. You made a sweeping comment about the season not completing and entirely by coincidence our game is called off. With absolutely no pre-knowledge, cryptic or otherwise, you post in a way that implies that you knew all along. If this is correct, and I suspect it is, then I would urge you to consider the implications of what you say.

My guess is that Crewe found out that the player was ill, dropped him and hoped that would have been enough. It was incredibly naive and reckless, but I'm not sure it was done with any malice. And I certainly don't think there was any conspiracy going on.

Absolutely aghast at David Artell's interview...

"I don't blame Oxford, they don't know how many infected were on our bus".

"We could have gone ahead and played, made Oxford weaker for next week"
Unbelievable.

the result should have been communicated to OUFC this morning as soon as it was known. It seems to me Crewe knowingly put other members of the community at risk.
If someone spits at someone saying “I’ve got COVID or aids or whatever” they are open to arrest and probably charged for assault.

It's disappointing that what David Artell is reported to have said on this forum, and what he actually said are very different.

There is clearly a need to be testing players, something KR has been saying, and something David Artell mentioned in his interview.

The league needs to take the pressure off clubs to play, and tests need conducting... What was it that the hopeless Matt Hancock/Wancock & BoJ promised us?

Test, test, test was supposed to prevent incidents like today. It's difficult to get a test, because this nation lacks leadership, too many people are promoted because of their mates, rather than ability. The misrepresentation of what David Artell has said enables those truly at fault to escape scrutiny.

Let's be grateful that a Crewe player took it upon themselves to test.

Crewe should not have been at the ground after the test, but... Following the positive test earlier this week, the Government should have ensured that all players and staff of Crewe FC could be tested.

3 possible scenarios here.

1. Crewe knew hours before they let Oxford United know. They then turned up at the ground, putting their own players at further risk, and all our players, the match officials, as well as all those involved with the operational running of a club on match day. If this is true, then it is a very serious allegation and could possibly lead to criminal charges for intentionally endangering others. If this was leaked a number of hours before Crewe arrived then I would have hoped you would have advised the club as such to minimise risk to all involved?

2. Oxford United were aware, but for some reason decided not to make this information public. By these actions, they have put their own staff and the match officials, press etc at risk as well as incurring huge costs in preparing for a game that would never take place, and also having to pay for a deep clean of changing rooms etc. If true this would be incredibly reckless by all involved.

3. You made a sweeping comment about the season not completing and entirely by coincidence our game is called off. With absolutely no pre-knowledge, cryptic or otherwise, you post in a way that implies that you knew all along. If this is correct, and I suspect it is, then I would urge you to consider the implications of what you say.

My guess is that Crewe found out that the player was ill, dropped him and hoped that would have been enough. It was incredibly naive and reckless, but I'm not sure it was done with any malice. And I certainly don't think there was any conspiracy going on.
1. Crewe did know hours before, they have said as much. It wasn't "leaked" it was talked about via social media and rumour. They very cleverly avoided making anything official until after they arrived at the Kasstad. And, it was only very late this afternoon that it was made public that Omar Beckles was the player who had tested positive.

2. Officially OUFC did not know and could therefore, not comment publicly. (Crewe should have taken the lead and not turned up)

3. Given the implications of infection and isolating and games not taking place, I would have thought that this was a reasonable argument to make. The schedule is already overloaded. KR referred to being expected to field a side for nearly every Tuesday, Saturday for the rest of the season, clearly not ideal to say the least. Many clubs will just not manage this with the added situation of salary caps etc. ( another factor somehow ignored by those voting in favour of the cap) With no chance of supporters returning in the foreseeable future many clubs will be resigned to facing financial ruin and would have to see shutting down and possibly folding completely as inevitable. Completing the season may well be the last thing they are contemplating.

You talk of malice, very, very unlikely but, reckless, yes, irresponsible, yes.
There is clearly grounds for Crewe to face censure. Clearly grounds for education. Grounds for legal action under HMG directives, possibly. I am no legal eagle.

I get that you wish to put a positive spin on things but, in this instance I believe you may be pushing it a little too far.

It's disappointing that what David Artell is reported to have said on this forum, and what he actually said are very different.

There is clearly a need to be testing players, something KR has been saying, and something David Artell mentioned in his interview.

The league needs to take the pressure off clubs to play, and tests need conducting... What was it that the hopeless Matt Hancock/Wancock & BoJ promised us?

Test, test, test was supposed to prevent incidents like today. It's difficult to get a test, because this nation lacks leadership, too many people are promoted because of their mates, rather than ability. The misrepresentation of what David Artell has said enables those truly at fault to escape scrutiny.

Crewe should not have been at the ground after the test, but... Following the positive test earlier this week, the Government should have ensured that all players and staff of Crewe FC could be tested.

Good post.

just a thought...but here’s a theory for you.

Player A tests positive after Newcastle game and informs the club.
The club decides not to check anyone else
Player B feels he wants to be sure, so pays for a test himself,
The team, minus player A, travel to Oxford Friday
Player B feels unwell on the way down and gets his positive result this morning, tells his club
Club decides to say nothing and were “prepared to play” (Crewe managers words) it seems
‘Someone’ in the Crewe party (who is not happy with the managements stance) let’s a mate in the Oxford camp know the situation quite early.
Crewe arrive at the Kashstad ...and in an ‘oh sh*t’ moment, discover Oxford already know
Oxford confront Crewe who are eventually forced to contact the EFL and the match is called off.

Surely not?

Attachments

• C5D1548F-F7C1-4D4F-B123-AB5E34482FAB.jpeg
    C5D1548F-F7C1-4D4F-B123-AB5E34482FAB.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 21

?

https://bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08t8zns link repeated for clarity...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom