Away Match Day Thread 29/03/24 - L1: Shrewsbury v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really must have been at a different game yesterday with so many people saying it was boring.
It was end to end attacking football with plenty of balls going into the box and chances created.
If we had been able to finish better then we would have won comfortably. That isn’t Des’s fault that players couldn’t finish yesterday.

They switched off towards the end and got punished but that what happens if you don’t take your chances, again though Des wouldn’t have told the team to switch off and not to close players down on the edge of the box.

It’s become a lazy comment from many when they say there is no style of play from a DB team when there is a clear style and has been for weeks now.
The issue is, he doesn’t have a squad of players who fully fit into this way of playing so for me maybe he should be given a chance to put his own squad together.

Exactly this. (y)

Think I almost got sunburn!

Well for starters, 2 players who Manning was after during the summer turned up here in the new year….Brurey and Cumming.
Well taking what Ryan spelled out for us earlier, I’m going to take an educated guess that those were players that Manning/Waldron had picked out and researched that had sufficient crossover to the Buckingham way of playing that they could still be seen as viable options…

If Buckingham sanctioned those signings regardless of them not being what he wanted then more fool him. Not exactly helping himself by doing that, is he?

• React
Reactions: Nox
He was still contracted at Chelsea so don't think he was twiddling his thumbs! I'm sure other clubs were interested, he's had several other loan deals previously.
He hadn't played any games all season though, not even Prem L2/U21 or EFL trophy and not making the squad once. So his first game of the season was for us against Carlisle in January.
If other clubs were interested I'm sure he'd have gone. He should be playing games more often than that for a 24 year old.

• React
Reactions: Nox
He hadn't played any games all season though, not even Prem L2/U21 or EFL trophy and not making the squad once. So his first game of the season was for us against Carlisle in January.
If other clubs were interested I'm sure he'd have gone. He should be playing games more often than that for a 24 year old.
He’s a niche goalkeeper. His footwork isn’t far off an outfield player. Strikes the ball beautifully and comfortable under pressure but we’ve now seen his limitation and why he is where is I’m his career - how susceptible he is to a handling error. He suits a Manning side that controls virtually every movement of the match and doesn’t concede chances easily. He’s not the solution for Des which is fine, but he’s not a bad goalkeeper by any stretch.

But it should be questioned why another player appears to be playing beneath their potential.

I really must have been at a different game yesterday with so many people saying it was boring.
It was end to end attacking football with plenty of balls going into the box and chances created.
If we had been able to finish better then we would have won comfortably. That isn’t Des’s fault that players couldn’t finish yesterday.

They switched off towards the end and got punished but that what happens if you don’t take your chances, again though Des wouldn’t have told the team to switch off and not to close players down on the edge of the box.

It’s become a lazy comment from many when they say there is no style of play from a DB team when there is a clear style and has been for weeks now.
The issue is, he doesn’t have a squad of players who fully fit into this way of playing so for me maybe he should be given a chance to put his own squad together.
If they had finished a couple of times early on then we might have lost too, but I guess we slightly edged it because of the 2 shots by Brannagan annd Murphy after the Bodin save/miss!

He’s a niche goalkeeper. His footwork isn’t far off an outfield player. Strikes the ball beautifully and comfortable under pressure but we’ve now seen his limitation and why he is where is I’m his career - how susceptible he is to a handling error. He suits a Manning side that controls virtually every movement of the match and doesn’t concede chances easily. He’s not the solution for Des which is fine, but he’s not a bad goalkeeper by any stretch.

But it should be questioned why another player appears to be playing beneath their potential.

So everything bad is Buckingham's fault. Even the fact that the goalkeeper selected by his predecessor is "susceptible to a handling error" What a surprise!

So everything bad is Buckingham's fault. Even the fact that the goalkeeper selected by his predecessor is "susceptible to a handling error" What a surprise!
Not everything. But it’s alarming to have only one or two players putting in good individual performances wouldn't you say?

Noted on the spelling 😅
It was Wayne Brown who got the Beadle deal done. Manning wasn’t convinced with Beadle and wanted to get Cumming instead as he had worked with him before but after a lot of persuasion from Brown and others we got Beadle.
Some have suggested it was the Baldock/brighton/Gordon Greer connection that was behind it. Would be strange for Manning to sanction his soon-to-be-dismissed goalkeeper coach to make such a big decision but who knows.

I don’t doubt that Cumming was very near the top of the list. Be silly if he wasn’t really.

Well taking what Ryan spelled out for us earlier, I’m going to take an educated guess that those were players that Manning/Waldron had picked out and researched that had sufficient crossover to the Buckingham way of playing that they could still be seen as viable options…

If Buckingham sanctioned those signings regardless of them not being what he wanted then more fool him. Not exactly helping himself by doing that, is he?
As much as I think des isn’t the answer I’m always impressed with how people skillfully turn the point round to still criticize him.
Well played!! ;)

Some people interview well, sometimes what appears like a perfect fit ends up as not working.
As always in those situations all parties should cut their losses and move on. Invariably they don't and it often ends up in a very messy end,.
The is only so much DD you can do and most of it was irrelevant anyway. Most often the cultural or personality fit just doesn't work, for a multitude of different reasons.
It's why hiring is such a difficult process at a senior level in small teams. Very few have a magic formula.
Classic loss aversion - hold onto your losses in the hope that your investment turns around and you don’t have to face the fact you’ve got this one wrong!

You may have a point re Reading. If Des fails (I sincerely hope he doesn’t) and is fired at the end of the season then Ruben Selles would be my choice to take over here.
Not a bad shout.
If we had picked up the same amount of points as Reading since Buckingham's appointment, we would be joint third with Bolton.

Some have suggested it was the Baldock/brighton/Gordon Greer connection that was behind it. Would be strange for Manning to sanction his soon-to-be-dismissed goalkeeper coach to make such a big decision but who knows.

I don’t doubt that Cumming was very near the top of the list. Be silly if he wasn’t really.
Listen to Wayne Brown on the behind the badge podcast.

To a degree yes but he can’t physically close players down on the pitch.
Isn’t it the captains job on the pitch to lift the players too? I never see Moore being called out for a lack of leadership on the pitch?
Bang on, Moore isn’t a leader, we can do better

If we are mathematically out of the play offs with two or three games left it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he was sacked. Why would you prolong something that is inevitable?
Because they aren’t going to P**s £1m down the drain. They didn’t get rid of Robinson for £250k until they really had to.

For someone who absolutely kept giving the previous manager some of biggest pelters on this forum, I’m surprised you are willing to give the current manager another window. For me he doesn’t have a clue about League One football and the type of players that are needed.

Both he and the recruitment team have had a January window that can only be described as shocking!! 400k on Goodwin is becoming an embarrassment, not to mention the appalling loans!!

Sorry but I wouldn’t trust Des, Ed or anyone involved in the running of our great club with another transfer window.

Comparing Des and KR is like comparing apples and pairs.

On one hand you’ve got a journeyman lower league manager, who was shagging the women’s team, having bin liners full of possessions dropped at the training ground, telling everyone who’d listen how fabulous he was while pissed up in Old Marston. Meanwhile presiding over a dire season - having had 4 others to get a good look at the players.

On the other hand, we’ve invested heavily into a young Manager, with clear connections to the football club who came in at a turbulent time off the field, albeit results had been strong for a relatively short period of time on it. Cracks were appearing with this group under Manning towards the end.

24 games is a very short amount of time to give a manager that we have substantially invested in to get him here and personally, I believe that we owe it to him to continue building in the summer, getting him the assistant that he wants and clearing the current group of a lot of the dead wood.

This season isn’t done yet. Win today and it’s all very much still on and this convo could look quite silly if Des is walking up the steps to collect the play off trophy in May. Here is hoping!

Back
Top Bottom