Home Match Day Thread 03/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All the feels, after reading this post.

Thanks for sharing and it's certainly an exciting time for the club. Glad to hear your daughter is supporting her local team too - I'm a bit old school in thinking that everyone should support their local club, so appreciate that you've gone down that route despite being a Palace fan. Palace are a club that I think most Yellows fans have a lot of time for too - and especially your fanbase.

Excellent avatar btw - "this is every journalist headshot" is one of the all-timer viral Tweets for me, Clive.
Sorry MJB but just can’t agree your point on supporting local clubs. You’ll understand though when I say my Grandson lives in Milton Keynes of all places, no way in a million years am I or my Son not going to make him a yellow.
If he shows any interest in the Dons I’m taking his dad out of the inheritance. 😂

Sorry MJB but just can’t agree your point on supporting local clubs. You’ll understand though when I say my Grandson lives in Milton Keynes of all places, no way in a million years am I or my Son not going to make him a yellow.
If he shows any interest in the Dons I’m taking his dad out of the inheritance. 😂
See, thats perfectly acceptable as your grandson doesn't have a local club :LOL:

Playing for Oxford City? Really?
I suspect that Manning, like most supporters, will be able to see the strengths GoD already has and the huge potential he has.
I am a little surprised that people are crticising a 19 year old, who has done pretty well with us so far.
Good work for Leigh’s goal Tuesday, and gave Dickie a hell of a game at Bristol.
Clubs are looking at Jonathan Afalobi at Bohemians, who’s just scored something like 13 in the last 12 games. And got called into the last rep Ireland sqaud.
But prior to that had failed to score in the previous 12 or so games.
Afalobi is now 23 after spells at Southampton and Celtic, O’Donkor 18 and has scored at youth level and will at senior.
There’s a five year gap between the two, both similar in style, but O’Donkors time will come.

O Donkor will go out on loan at some point, he is still young enough to learn from being around the squad, training and cameos but obviously he will have to get some proper game time at some point, he is a prospect but not ready to be the main man up front yet (that is especially true if we are in the championship next season). I could see Manning keeping him around for this season and sending him out next, he still has a lot of time on his side.

Good work for Leigh’s goal Tuesday, and gave Dickie a hell of a game at Bristol.
Clubs are looking at Jonathan Afalobi at Bohemians, who’s just scored something like 13 in the last 12 games. And got called into the last rep Ireland sqaud.
Afalobi is now 23 after spells at Southampton and Celtic, O’Donkor 18 and has scored at youth level and will at senior.
There’s a five year gap between the two, both similar in style, but O’Donkors time will come.
Are we one of them? Would like to think we are..

I’m willing to make exceptions to the rule!

As you’ll know we played both Palace and Arsenal last season. I was a lot more impressed by the way Palace conducted themselves, they seemed a genuine and respectful bunch whereas Arsenal were really snide and up themselves.
That was a tricky match for me. I wanted Palace to win but I have so much affection for Oxford Utd now it had zero joy for me. Of course there are idiots in all supporter groups but Palace fans are mostly a good bunch and are grateful for where they are. It's easy to be cynical when you have lived your teams ups and downs over the years and seen many false starts. As a sort of outsider to the Us (albeit a team my daughter loves) I can tell you that it is a very special club that does a lot of good (true community support, very inclusive, fans that care, a culture that works). And of course you had the mighty John Aldridge.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Yep. That is different. You are providing a service there that your grandson will thank you for

As you’ll know we played both Palace and Arsenal last season. I was a lot more impressed by the way Palace conducted themselves, they seemed a genuine and respectful bunch whereas Arsenal were really snide and up themselves.
I remember reading Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch (1992) about his love for Arsenal (of all teams!), and him moaning on about them doing so poorly at times...when they probably didn't go any lower than midway down the First Division. Talk about entitled!

That was a tricky match for me. I wanted Palace to win but I have so much affection for Oxford Utd now it had zero joy for me. Of course there are idiots in all supporter groups but Palace fans are mostly a good bunch and are grateful for where they are. It's easy to be cynical when you have lived your teams ups and downs over the years and seen many false starts. As a sort of outsider to the Us (albeit a team my daughter loves) I can tell you that it is a very special club that does a lot of good (true community support, very inclusive, fans that care, a culture that works). And of course you had the mighty John Aldridge.
If you’d be happy to be quoted about this kind of thing publicly, I think OxVox or OUSP would love to feature this kind of brilliant sentiment in the context of the new stadium and why the club matters so much to the community.

Not to worry if you’d rather not, as not everyone wishes to be featured publicly in this way, but just say if it might be of interest and I’m sure they could look to feature this kind of insight and experience in their regular local media columns or other channels.

If you’d be happy to be quoted about this kind of thing publicly, I think OxVox or OUSP would love to feature this kind of brilliant sentiment in the context of the new stadium and why the club matters so much to the community.

Not to worry if you’d rather not, as not everyone wishes to be featured publicly in this way, but just say if it might be of interest and I’m sure they could look to feature this kind of insight and experience in their regular local media columns or other channels.
I'd be more than happy to be quoted. If I can help in anyway with the new stadium (which by the way I think will be a genuine community asset and not just of vital importance to the football club) then I will be pleased to do so.

I'd be more than happy to be quoted. If I can help in anyway with the new stadium (which by the way I think will be a genuine community asset and not just of vital importance to the football club) then I will be pleased to do so.
Fab, that’s really good of you.

I’ll have a chat with some folk and it may well be that someone sends you a Direct Message on here in future, to see what might be possible.

Thanks.

Think he out paced him and got a little shove from Dunkley! That’s why Dunks looked at our fans with a grim knowing he possibly got away with something
perhaps so. thats where he needs to learn the nuances of the game (ie if he goes down he might get the free kick). all that to come with age/experience though

O’Donkor needs games, better for himself and the club. And if that’s on loan, all for the better.
Afalobi couldn’t hit a barn door for the first dozen or so games for Bohemians, they could afford to keep preserving with him. then got 1 and scored in the next dozen or so games. Regular game time and then confidence came.
We can’t afford to be as patient. Lots of similarities and a 5 year gap between the 2.
A good run of games helped Afalobi and could do the same for O’Donkor.
But pretty obvious, it’ll need to be elsewhere on loan.

Back
Top Bottom