Home Match Day Thread 19/04/2024: L1 - OUFC v Stevenage

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
it was stonewall and sky punditry team agreed. They were surprised our players didn’t protest more.

But sorry I don’t have it
It's 'clever' play from Marcus Browne. Running on to a through ball (which he hasn't yet touched or got under control), he doesn't run at an angle to try and put the ball towards the goal, but to keep himself between the ball and the goalkeeper. At the last moment, he flicks the ball (away from goal and out of play) and makes sure he runs into the keeper, who is chasing out. So technically it's a penalty, and the keeper should have been more careful, but I can see why a ref is reluctant to give it. Giving a corner is baffling though, and an indication of bottling the real decision. And he got both other penalty calls wrong too.

It's 'clever' play from Marcus Browne. Running on to a through ball (which he hasn't yet touched or got under control), he doesn't run at an angle to try and put the ball towards the goal, but to keep himself between the ball and the goalkeeper. At the last moment, he flicks the ball (away from goal and out of play) and makes sure he runs into the keeper, who is chasing out. So technically it's a penalty, and the keeper should have been more careful, but I can see why a ref is reluctant to give it. Giving a corner is baffling though, and an indication of bottling the real decision. And he got both other penalty calls wrong too.

Why is the referee reluctant to give it? It's blatant at the time, blatant on watching back and blatant to every commentator including those at SKY who watched it. Moreover, Assistant Singh (a highly regarded official) offered no/very little support. What's the point of the linesman if their sole job is to give throw in decisions and not offer visible support to the referee (that I believe is a directive - you'll never ever see an assistant criticise his colleague in the middle or reluctant to make a decision on behalf of the on field referee).

It doesn't balance itself over a season, you don't get three/four abysmal penalty decisions in the last 180 minutes of football at the Kassam that have literally cost this football club a shot at the playoffs (Yep, I know we can still make it in through the back door).

It's not just "technically a penalty" it is a penalty in every aspect of the law.

The only reason to give a corner is because he thinks the keeper got a hand to the ball from his angle. If the keeper doesn’t (and he doesn’t at all) then it’s not just technically a penalty, it is a penalty. The real insane error is from the linesman who’s right there. It would have been so simple for him to flag and say ‘penalty’ but he either didn’t have the guts, or somehow didn’t see it

Back
Top Bottom