Home Match Day Thread 03/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tough one
They will see how Carlisle and PV played against us and will try the same

Exeter and Charlton came to win, Shrewsbury will come to defend and nick something ,they will make life difficult

Last edited:
REF WATCH

Surrey based referee Charles Breakspear is the man in the middle for tonight’s match with Shrewsbury.
Breakspear - appointed to the EFL in 2013 - is nicknamed the ‘Card King’ and has taken charge of nine matches this season issuing 43 yellow cards and two reds.
His last U’s fixture was the 0-3 home defeat to Bristol Rovers in February.

F4u1fA2XcAAeQyM

Last edited:
I'm finding it hard to be confident before matches after all these years, but I did say I was cautiously optimistic pre-Stevenage and I'm doing my best to feel it now.

We passed the test well then, so we should be able to do it again. Another 3-0 for me.

PLAYED FOR BOTH

Includes Steve Biggins, Cheyenne Dunkley, Brandon Fleming, Nigel Jemson, Carlton Morris, Conor McAleny, James Constable,
Steve Anthrobus, Sam Winnall, David Leworthy, Lee Steele, Asa Hall, Tyrone Barnett and many more.

E4UGCdEXoAAGYLG

Can we have a pick the team and a formation competition, I wouldn’t have thought there would be many with correct selections...... (obviously apart from “The Gaffer”)
I am predicting that Thorniley, Murphy, Mills and Harris return to the starting line up especially as we will almost certainly have 65% - 70% of the ball and the likes of Thorniley replacing Brown and Mills replacing Tyler will be for that very reason.
Murphy by all accounts within the camp deserves a starting place and of course Harris is back from suspension to replace the dependable Bodin.

......................Beadle.......................
..Long - Moore - Thorniley - Leigh..
....................McGuane.....................
..........RodrIgues - Brannigan..........
..Murphy................................ Mills..
.......................Harris........................

4 - 1 - 4 - 1 formation
In ironically a 4-1 home victory

Last edited:
Well if we want to be genuine Top 2 contenders we have to be winning these kind of games.
Shrewsbury will in all likelihood come to frustrate and stop us playing but we really should be breaking them down.
They didn't score in September (?), so no complacency at the back, and surely we can score 2 to 3 against them?

Well if we want to be genuine Top 2 contenders we have to be winning these kind of games.
Shrewsbury will in all likelihood come to frustrate and stop us playing but we really should be breaking them down.
They didn't score in September (?), so no complacency at the back, and surely we can score 2 to 3 against them?

Yep if we are genuine contenders we will win tonight.

They will come and try to frustrate us, but if we can get that important early goal, we will go on to win the game. Hopefully Goodrham plays and scores, when he scores we don’t lose.

Expecting a bunch of rotations tonight. We've played brilliantly but we can't expect everyone to be 100% at it right after putting in such a gut busting performance on Saturday. Would like to see a front 3 of Murphy, Harris and Mills starting. Think the core of the team should remain as it is though to not upset the ecosystem.

I'm half expecting Negru back, and Harris up top. Whether Harris coming back means Bodin drops to replace Ruben, with Ruben to the bench, or Bodin to the bench remains to be seen. I'd like to see us start with Murphy, Harris and Mills.. Get at them with pace right from the off.. Score early and open the floodgates.

I don't think Murphy will start. I suspect the policy here is to build his confidence by giving him increasingly long periods on the pitch as a sub when the opposition are blowing a bit. So I think we will see him tonight, but maybe for the last 20-25 minutes (depends on the match situation though).

I would like to see Mills start as he should be fresh and Leigh in left midfield. Harris as well, as I think we have missed his pace up front (which is of course a loopy thing to say as we have scored three goals in the last three league games!).

People on here seemed more confident in beating Stevenage away, a side who were in decent form, than Shrewsbury at home, a side who literally cannot score a goal or win a game (over the last 6, anyway)

Of course, in football anything can happen but it would be a massive shock and frankly very disappointing if we were to lose tonight.

This is the team I would pick for tonight.
It's important we keep momentum going but also equally as important to rotate the squad at the right moments. Harris will be eager to impress while Bodin is likely to be rested ahead of a tougher test VS Bristol Rovers on Saturday. Tyler also to drop to the bench with Mills coming in and giving us some energy on the right wing. Leigh looks dangerous where ever he plays on the left side so I would push him higher to replace the injured Edwards and give Brown a game at left back. Leigh will certainly track back to help Brown and that will be a tough area of the pitch for Shrewsbury to get any gains. Long in for Stevens is another rotation whilst Thorniley returns to a back 4. It would be unwise to break up our CDM duo from the start as both MM and CB are the backbone of the team at the moment absolutely bossing the midfield and conducting play.

On paper this should be an easy win without getting out of second gear but as we all know that's not always the case and The Shrews will try to stop us from playing our game. We are clinical though and as long as we take our chances when they arise I see nothing but three points for the mighty Yellows.

Subs.
13. Eastwood
15. Stevens
28. Negru
6. McEachran
19. Goodrham
23. Murphy
10. Bodin

1000016498.jpg

I know a few people have suggested it but I really don’t want to see Brown left back and Leigh left wing, at home, against a side who can’t score. It seems to me more of a tactic for a tough away game against one of the top teams?

Surely in a game where we will dominate the ball and attack loads we want our two most attacking fullbacks (Leigh and Stevens) playing, and a couple of attacking wingers?

Think Bodin might move out to the left with Leigh playing LB. Rodrigues playing as #10 and Harris up front. Murphy to come off the bench for 20/30minutes. Would start with the pace of Mills on the right also

I know a few people have suggested it but I really don’t want to see Brown left back and Leigh left wing, at home, against a side who can’t score. It seems to me more of a tactic for a tough away game against one of the top teams?

Surely in a game where we will dominate the ball and attack loads we want our two most attacking fullbacks (Leigh and Stevens) playing, and a couple of attacking wingers?

It's a fair point, but we don't have an alternative to Edwards unfortunately. I think it's either Leigh in an advanced role or else you have Bodin there as a sort of inverted winger and the onus is completely on Mills to provide the width on the right side.

Kyle Edwards is a big loss.

Back
Top Bottom