Home Match Day Thread +++ 28/9/2019 L1 OUFC v Gillingham +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to be a recurring theme from supporters of teams we are beating quite easily in this run of games, that they have their worst performance of the season and we are okay at best.
Strange coincidence that.
Ok at best. Seriously? Sounds like sour grapes to me.
We outclassed them in all areas of the pitch

Ok at best. Seriously? Sounds like sour grapes to me.
We outclassed them in all areas of the pitch

Totally agree.

The only reason they had their worst game/worst defeat this season is OUFC.

Ripped them a new one and they had no answer.

Totally agree.

The only reason they had their worst game/worst defeat this season is OUFC.

Ripped them a new one and they had no answer.

If it wasn’t for Southend, Wimbledon, Bolton & Bury gilingham fans should be very worried

It seems to be a recurring theme from supporters of teams we are beating quite easily in this run of games, that they have their worst performance of the season and we are okay at best.
Strange coincidence that.

Yes, likewise that was my take.

The team as it is puts a lot of stress on the opposition - from the work rate to the patterns of play. Gillingham didn't have the mobility or commitment today - the likes of Burton worked their nuts off against us, Gillingham did not. The 352 they started with is the precise formation to not play against us.

Chris Short's impact on this team cannot be underestimated. At the moment, we look as fit as a butchers dog, and with the skill, our work rate and pressure when tired stands out. We are relentless from the kick off to the final whistle.

Great game/result, especially first half, shame we didn’t score a goal 2nd half.

Would have been amazing if Henry had got his hat trick in the first half, but scored two great goals.

I think Woodburn looks much better in his new role rather than no.10.

Only disappointment today was Sykes not making the squad.

Good job you're not the manager, Henry wouldn't have started. Masters in hindsight. Degree in bullshit

To be fair Gillingham were poor you can’t argue with that - nothing we did made them put simple passes straight out of play rather than to a player! It was almost unbelievable how many times they did that!

So according to Mapp: "No doubt about it, Karl's put together a squad that you'd expect to be competing at the top end of the the league.......................................they're gonna have a really good season".
Indeed - no doubt about it.

Gillingham didn't have the mobility or commitment today - the likes of Burton worked their nuts off against us, Gillingham did not.

Exactly this.

I was slightly worried going into the game - because I knew Gillingham would be big and ugly and I thought the Fat Crook would have them working hard.

After two minutes, they basically hadn't had the ball and weren't harrying us to get it back - they were letting us play, and just focusing on keeping their shape. Soon as I saw that, I was confident of the win.

Anyone who's getting ready to play us ought to watch film of the Burton or Bolton games, and employ the same sort of high press against us.
If you sit back and let us play, we've got too many good footballers for most opponents at this level. We'll find the gaps and exploit them.
Still it's one thing wanting to employ a high press - it requires bags of stamina and commitment to keep it going for 90 minutes......

I saw it on i-player (am working abroad atm), and while I don't want to get too carried away, it did remind me of the way we played in the early 80's when we were going through the old third and second divisions. Gillingham were not very good, but they weren't dreadful. We just outclassed them- they were puffing and blowing (like their manager) after half an hour because they were just constantly chasing around after us.
I was very impressed. I haven't been KR's biggest fan, but this team is now looking very good. Taylor makes a huge difference- it's been a long time since we've had a proper goal hanger. Still can't work out why Sykes can't even make the bench, and I am beginning to wonder what Akyei has done wrong as well! But overall, really encouraging- and good to watch......

Steve : Remember me ? The harder I try the luckier I get.

Yours

James Henry

Dt6P_HEXQAA46Zi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom