Home Match Day Thread +++ 26/12/2019 OUFC V Lincoln City +++

Just home after having to go to the mother in laws for dinner.
Thoughts on the match from me;
Archer looked assured apart from the cross he spilled at the end which almost cost us.
Back 4 looked solid.
Our midfield played well.
Henry and Fosu not at the races.
Terrific back tracking from Taylor.
Don’t know what game MApp was watching. They didn’t have one shot on target. They set up to frustrate us rather than make a game of it.
I know it was windy, but didn’t realise it would affect their players so much.....kept falling over it was pathetic.
Enjoyed the result, but the game was a frustrating watch.

Completely disagree. It was performances like today, in the 2nd half at least, that led to us pushing him into midfield last season, you know, like we did today. Got turned by Akinde more than once and also the cynical foul.

His shakiest game this season I reckon.

He went into midfield after what, 85 minutes?! Fosu who had been struggling all game goes off, Moore sits at the back and Mous goes into the middle!

Some seem very luke warm towards Appleton on their forum.

I was also quite amused at us being referred to as the “south midlands” Real Madrid and some reference to our “Arrogant” passing. ??

I actually tried to join the vital forum to advocate for MApp but they rejected me as they don’t have an oxford forum (I stated I was an oxford fan ?). Dopey sods.

Anyway it’s fascinating to see how little regard they hold him in. They dont think he shows enough passion, he’s trying to get their s**t players to play in a way that is too hard for them, terrible track record and only succeeded at oxford because of wilder...I hope for their sake they show the same patience our board did and allow his style to flourish. It can only be good for the English game to have his style of management succeed

Very close game I thought. Well played Lincoln, they're going to be a real force in the coming months under MApp, think it's been lucky we've got them out of the way early in his tenure. They were tight defensively and had some good spells on the ball, under him they'll continue to push on.

Some of the players a bit off the boil, CB and Fosu especially quiet, but apparently threes been an illness going round, which explains that. Thought Mous was immense, my MOTM.

Haven't watched it back, but surely one of our goals of the season? He brushed off about three man before pinging it in the top corner! Unreal, and surely adds an extra million to his price tag in January...
Lincoln a far better team than Wycombe.

I thought the game was very similar to the Wycombe game. First half we were by far the better team and should have got more than one.
Second half we seemed to take it easier, stopped pressing so much, and looked a bit short of ideas in the final third.
They then started to play the long ball up to the forwards and, just like Wycombe, could have nicked a goal they wouldn't have deserved.

It was another game where we had plenty of chances in the first half, but only took 1. That said, Lincoln seemed a huff and puff teams at times, who only really got into the game as we tired. Oh for Klopp's hissy fit about playing too many games - we've done 3 games in 8 day with only 17/18. Suck on that one Jurgen.

Baptiste seems to be happier with the physical side of the game today and it really showed at times. Less fear, more mobility and a cracking goal. It does feel that the coaching staff did the right thing making him take it slowly after the injury. Henry and Fosu did their best, but both looked to be struggling. Same for Brannagan.

The lack of numbers in the squad is going to cause some interesting selection headaches. The transfer window cannot come soon enough

Completely disagree. It was performances like today, in the 2nd half at least, that led to us pushing him into midfield last season, you know, like we did today. Got turned by Akinde more than once and also the cynical foul.

His shakiest game this season I reckon.

Eh??

He went into midfield when Moore came on.

I actually tried to join the vital forum to advocate for MApp but they rejected me as they don’t have an oxford forum (I stated I was an oxford fan ?). Dopey sods.

Anyway it’s fascinating to see how little regard they hold him in. They dont think he shows enough passion, he’s trying to get their s**t players to play in a way that is too hard for them, terrible track record and only succeeded at oxford because of wilder...I hope for their sake they show the same patience our board did and allow his style to flourish. It can only be good for the English game to have his style of management succeed

BristolImp is hilarious, an utter loon. Complains about us being dirty then suggests Akinde should break Brannagan's jaw!

MApp's critics miss the obvious, he hasn't signed any of those players.

They also haven't grasped the "denying a goalscoring opportunity" law, a bit like MApp it seems.

BristolImp is hilarious, an utter loon. Complains about us being dirty then suggests Akinde should break Brannagan's jaw!

MApp's critics miss the obvious, he hasn't signed any of those players.

They also haven't grasped the "denying a goalscoring opportunity" law, a bit like MApp it seems.

You can see why they're annoyed though, it's not like Shandon Baptiste needed much of a 'goalscoring opportunity'.

I thought the game was very similar to the Wycombe game. First half we were by far the better team and should have got more than one.
Second half we seemed to take it easier, stopped pressing so much, and looked a bit short of ideas in the final third.
They then started to play the long ball up to the forwards and, just like Wycombe, could have nicked a goal they wouldn't have deserved.

Spot on

Provincial carrot crunchers like them will never understand or appreciate genius like Appleton and frankly they don't deserve him. Ian Atkins is their kind of magic.

I was impressed with KRs analysis after the game. We didnt try and play through them enough a bit too much going backwards. Still yet another encouraging performance from everyone COYY

Our defending, last minute alone, was magnificent.
Our back 4 is the strongest part of the team.
Mousinho’s form is amazing considering he was on his last legs in the last half of 18/19.
Thought Lincoln had a decent game plan and were pretty impressive. Robbo’s subs - as always - excellent.

If some of the first team who played yesterday had the same sickness bug as me (Noro Virus) I have to declare that win as the best yet. I could barely get off the floor for two days!

Back
Top Bottom