Home Match Day Thread +++ 26/12/2019 OUFC V Lincoln City +++

Tough game. Despite some players performing below their best, we got our way through.

We keep on going. Wimbledon looks a tough gig with our slightly tired looking squad.

Well, we had to dig in again late on. Expenditure of energy in this team is so great that they are having a tough time staying the course at the moment. A couple of Reinforcements will be required in the new year just to keep us cooking.

Some of the passing is sublime though at times - Dickie and Cadden moving up through the gears, Henry and Brannagan in the engine room and that is where I feel that we may need a bit more puff. Fosu, for all his trickery is not quite on it at the moment but lucky for us, down in the kitchen, doing the dirty dishes is Gorrin. Neat and tidy, he wins it and passes it on - Just a great player (one of many) doing his work right under our runny noses.
Yes, we ground out the result today, but it is a mark of a good side that we can do that while not quite at the top of our game. Take what rest you can lads and see you at Wimbledon.

Tough game. Despite some players performing below their best, we got our way through.

We keep on going. Wimbledon looks a tough gig with our slightly tired looking squad.

Everyone is tired this time of year. You'd think with Shorty about we might be in better condition than other squads that are about.

I'd bring in Sykes and Mackie into the starting lineup at least. If we had any fit central midfielders, I'd say one of Brannagan and Baptiste needs to be rested too.

But Wimbledon have a very young squad this year. Hopefully the quick turnaround between Bristol away today and us at home on Sunday will take its toll more on them.

Just looked at some of Sunday's other fixtures:

Doncaster Rovers - Sunderland
Fleetwood Town - Bristol Rovers
Lincoln City - Ipswich Town
Rotherham United - Peterborough United
Wycombe Wanderers - Coventry City

What a tasty little gameweek that is to round off the year!

I defo must of seen a different game to a few people, I thought Lincoln were terrible. We totally dominated for the most part and they only threatened very late on. Long balls and set plays is all they had
Probably you saw a different game to the other 10,149, we weren’t at the races at all today, we were better than Lincoln but it t was a laboured performance from Oxford today to much turkey and pudding possibly. From where we sat Mouse possibly lucky to stay on.
Oh how the mighty have fallen Payne at Premier club Huddersfield they recall sent to Blackburn he come on as sub for Blackburn scores his only goal against us and now only on the subs bench for Lincoln. Anyway 3 points 3rd in the table let’s keep it up and get 3 more on Sunday. COYY

I defo must of seen a different game to a few people, I thought Lincoln were terrible. We totally dominated for the most part and they only threatened very late on. Long balls and set plays is all they had

Some seem very luke warm towards Appleton on their forum.

I was also quite amused at us being referred to as the “south midlands” Real Madrid and some reference to our “Arrogant” passing. ??

If an opposition keeper joins the attack, send one of our own up to the halfway line. it’ll either bring one or two of theirs further back.

If an opposition keeper joins the attack, send one of our own up to the halfway line. it’ll either bring one or two of theirs further back.

It shouldn't in the 91st minute. The point of bringing the goalkeeper up is that you either go all out to score or you lose anyway. No point bringing the goalie up only to send a more effective attacking player back in his place.

Brannagan MOM for me. Great crossfield passes. Rob Dickie close second.

Probably you saw a different game to the other 10,149, we weren’t at the races at all today, we were better than Lincoln but it t was a laboured performance from Oxford today to much turkey and pudding possibly. From where we sat Mouse possibly lucky to stay on.
Oh how the mighty have fallen Payne at Premier club Huddersfield they recall sent to Blackburn he come on as sub for Blackburn scores his only goal against us and now only on the subs bench for Lincoln. Anyway 3 points 3rd in the table let’s keep it up and get 3 more on Sunday. COYY

I'm not saying we were great by any means, but they were terrible. Our worst showing for a while but we were very rarely in danger. Little nervy at the end but that's about it.

In the circumstances, a fine win. Running on fumes by the sound of it...

We weren't at our best by a long chalk but did enough to grind out a result.

I don't think Fosu had a period when somebody wasn't blocking him off or pulling his shirt. Absolutely ridiculous that a player is targeted in such a way but has no disciplinary comeback on the players doing it. As cynical as what Mous did when he got booked. Also, regardless if Fosu has this bug or not, he has looked knackered for a few weeks so hopefully we get those wingers in quickly in the transfer window.

Nice to see walking out some of the very young 'uns who were clearly at one of their first, or close to it, games looking so excited at the end.

And finally what a goal by Baptiste, simply stunning.

MOM for me was Mous. Dealt with a faster opponent well, so calm under pressure when with the ball; and calmly, but cynically, committing a foul stopping a very dangerous attack which he rightly got booked for.
Completely agree. He's been incredible this season. Hard to remember a time when we were all calling him a complete liability at the back!

Completely agree. He's been incredible this season. Hard to remember a time when we were all calling him a complete liability at the back!

Completely disagree. It was performances like today, in the 2nd half at least, that led to us pushing him into midfield last season, you know, like we did today. Got turned by Akinde more than once and also the cynical foul.

His shakiest game this season I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom