Home Match Day Thread 28/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Wycombe Wanderers

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder what the odds are for Harris to score before Xmas
Give Perkins a chance surely he can’t do any worse

What you didn't see on the highlights was exactly the same thing - an absolute carbon copy - happening to a Wycombe defender in the first half, and the ref giving nothing.
In isolation I think the McGuane penalty was correct, although I'm not 100% sure on the wording currently. Like you say almost identical to the first half and if you don't give that you can't give the other. He doesn't have the excuse of not seeing it either as the defender had the ball directly under him for a little while. Shambolic .

Give Perkins a chance surely he can’t do any worse
I'm with Manning on this one, if it is his attitude that isn't right (suggested but not fact of course), I don't want him starting games, however desperate we may be for goals, Harris is ours for the foreseeable, Perkins is not.

You make it sound so simple!

As we saw in the summer when the owners were bidding half a million quid for Marriott, it’s not that easy to sign a proven striker if the club they are at don’t want to sell.

I’m sure the club will go back in for Marriott in the new year but they will already be looking at potential players to bring in.

As someone else said, Manning has had just 1 transfer window to turn a whole squad around and it clearly needs a bit of tweeking but surely no one expected it to take just the last summer window to build a complete promotion squad?

The not signing a striker has been ramped up by Perkins not performing or his attitude as to why he isn't making the squad.

We aren't far off being a play off contender but I think Bolton and Pompey will go up automatically.

Was a pen however it was also a pen when the Wycombe player did the identical same thing 1st half. Ref was cheating by giving one but not the other.

In my view, having only seen it 2-3 times earlier, is their player genuily slipped and was unaware the ball was coming for his right arm (from behind, as in, it wasn't intentional).
Until the full match is up, that'll be my view.

The assessors sat virtually next to us. They were actually laughing when he gave their second pen..Oh, and they stood up and left when he gave our pen. I would hope that Stockbridge does not get another match for a while. Absolutely scandalous.

really need edwards and Browne back
100% - either or really, we’ve been totally one dimensional since we lost Edwards. Realistically only four league games until December, hopefully enough time to get him fit again.

Brown and long below standard they didn’t do nothing wrong defended well all game they didn’t have a sniff If them penalties didn’t happen, can tell your ball knowledge with saying Harris was good 😭
Didn’t do anything wrong?! You love that ball knowledge comment but you need none of that to be observant. Watch how the second penalty came about.

Enough has been said about Long but Brown had a major off day today. First half they waited for him to break stride (marking Leigh) and then pounced on him several times. He didn’t learn, it happened several times. Then there’s the long balls in to the channel that were almost all over hit, not forcing Wycombe to defend at all. He’s better than he showed today but if his job is to hit longer passes when on, I’d fancy Thorniley to execute that better without much compromise at the back.

Harris was better today than Tuesday, he grew in to things. But he’s too easy to play against for me. A squad option but not your main man. A step down from Joseph, sadly, who was similarly busy and untidy but always carried a goal threat.

The assessors sat virtually next to us. They were actually laughing when he gave their second pen..Oh, and they stood up and left when he gave our pen. I would hope that Stockbridge does not get another match for a while. Absolutely scandalous.
why would assessors leave (a minimum of ) 6 minutes before the actual end of the match?

Plenty of people were hyping Perkins and suggesting he was the answer to our striker concerns, do you really want the receipts?

Bit of whataboutery with the GO'D comment. I admit he's been very disappointing at times. But his contribution has still been better than Perkins?

Regardless, GO'D's role - rightly or wrongly - is to be the big lad holding it up when ahead in the last ten minites. A squad player.
Perkins role is to be the 2nd choice striker behind Harris. The same Harris who has been out through suspension and then out of form. Perkins hasn't even made the bench in that time.

The venn diagram of people who ridiculed the potential signing of Jack Marriott - and those suggesting sigining Perkins was akin to getting an 18 year old Jermain Defoe - is a perfect circle.
We signed a highly-rated England youth international who our manager has worked with previously, who was wanted by several other clubs at this level. I was well up for trusting that there was a reason he was signed given Manning knows him already - it would be weird for one of his former coaches to bring him in if he didn’t think he was any good. Something clearly isn’t right, and that’s really disappointing and is costing us, but on paper there were plenty of reasons to trust the manager. Given how well the rest of the window went overall it’s a massive ball ache that this is the one that seems to have misfired.

Don’t think it’s unreasonable to bring O’Donkor into the conversation. Lots of people wanted him to stay here and he often doesn’t look good enough - we need more from a senior striker than to win a few throw-ins if they’re going to get on the pitch regularly for a promotion side. If he had been sent on loan maybe we would’ve been minded to get another body in to replace him. Perhaps it would’ve been the catalyst to really push the boat out on another forward. I don’t think it’s completely irrelevant.

I think the problem at centre forward is being made worse by the fact that Browne and Edwards both being out means that we haven’t got much pace or dribbling ability in the attacking areas to shake things up. It doesn’t impact Harris not being able to hit a cow’s a**e with a banjo, obviously, but it certainly makes it worse if we aren’t carving out chances inside the box. The candle is currently being burned at both ends.

He'll be ruining a game again next week.

The not signing a striker has been ramped up by Perkins not performing or his attitude as to why he isn't making the squad.

We aren't far off being a play off contender but I think Bolton and Pompey will go up automatically.
We are 6 points ahead of 7th place with a game in hand. I’d say we are very much a play off contender and with a bit of reinforcements in the new year will hopefully be a top 2 contender.

Out of interest you say Bolton will go up automatically but what makes you say that? Considering they have played the same amount of games as us, won, drawn and lost the exact same amount as we have. The only difference is they have scored 1 more goal than us but we have conceded 4 less goals than them. Yet we aren’t play off contenders while they are going up automatically 🤷🏼‍♂️

i think every single body is questioning the Perkins signing..
supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread..
Negru is another puzzling one as well.
I'm also starting to think about Thornliey as well???

Back
Top Bottom