Home Match Day Thread 28/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Wycombe Wanderers

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This wasn't the minutes silence. They all came together for that and he stood apart. He didn't do anything else and did not disrespect it. I have no issue with him not wanting to take part in that with his team mates if he didn't want too. He is Irish. While we all get taught all the great things about our 'empire' and our armed forces, people need to remember that for a lot of the world a lot of bad things happened to them regarding the 'empire'. The idea that for many Irish people, given not just the history of the troubles from their view but the long history prior to that of what Britain did in Ireland, that they feel uncomfortable with moments like this is perfectly understandable. I'm sure many people on here would feel the same if brought up in the same situation.
See I don’t understand this point of view at all. I have no problem with being anti war, I am too, and I understand that Irish people wouldn’t want to go to a North-Korean style rally which glorifies the British army, but as has been pointed out Irish people have been dying in the British army and navy since Napoleonic times, and given that there was conscription in WW2, plenty of people who are being remembered didn’t even want to be there. Hopefully keeping it fresh in our minds every year will stop it from ever happening again.

If you go down with a head injury and the physio comes on, or even if the game is stopped, then you have to wait a minute or two to come back on rather than being waved on straight away. Unfortunately punishes genuine cases but would cut out the fakery. The only issue is people trying to play on with a genuine head injury rather than taking a minute out but I'd have thought if it was serious then you wouldn't be able to play on anyway.
I'd say if a player goes down with a head injury, then the physio shouldn't have to wait to be waved on by the ref, they should just come on and tend to the player, and the game should just carry on, and the player has to stay down until the ball goes dead.

That way, if it's genuine, then the player gets immediate treatment, but if it's fake, then the other team doesn't have to suffer by having the game stopped unnecessarily.

It would very quickly stop the faking, as it would be pointless, and would actually be detrimental to the team of the player faking injury.

Last edited:
Actually I like the way Rodriguez does hold onto the ball and wait for things to open up. He gives himself time to look up when he gets the ball which is why his passing can split defenders. As others have noted, it doesn’t always work but I’d rather that than a quick pass back.
It’s a shame in some ways that he’s actually now finding his feet at this level after the system has changed. He seemed to have the freedom of the park in the first 7 or 8 games but often got caught taking a second too long. He’s now much more at the pace of things and starting to grow those eyes in the back of his head but now playing in a system that wipes out the space he has.

I think if we reverted to the old system of the structured 4231 (442 when defending), he would be much more effective now. I think this system is a stop-gap until our wide players return. The prospect of Browne right, Rodrigues central and Edwards left is pretty mouth-watering and would instantly change some of the problems we’re having. Browne is a bit unreliable with his end product but looked much more himself on the right before his injury. If you then reinstated Negru and put Leigh and Stevens behind those wide players, we’d have far too much for most sides. It’s a shame that we’re patching things up already and that’s essentially what’s hurting our form.

I am going to guess you must be over the age of 35 because schools now (and definitely universities) are heavily, heavily critical of the empire. The idea we are taught it was all great and sing god save the queen is a fallacy that left-leaning newspapers would probably have you believe.

Over 200,000 Irishman fell fighting in World War One and over 80,000 in World War Two. It is a warped view of history to think the Troubles cancels out the incredible bravery Irish people have shown fighting for the armed forces.

It's up to him, but I think it's a warped understanding. A matchday thread isn't the place to discuss these things so we should leave it there!
I think the perception of Remembrance Day is that we are glorifying empire, it is actually about remembering people who gave their lives and are also victims of the establishment themselves in many cases

I'd say if a player goes down with a head injury, then the physio shouldn't have to wait to be waved on by the ref, they should just come on and tend to the player, and the game should just carry on, and the player has to stay down until the ball goes dead.

That way, if it's genuine, then the player gets immediate treatment, but if it's fake, then the other team doesn't have to suffer by having the game stopped unnecessarily.

It would very quickly stop the faking, as it would be pointless, and would actually be detrimental to the team of the player faking injury.
Maybe if you go down with a head injury you should have to leave the field for a concussion assessment for ten minutes. That would stop people going down for no reason.

Maybe if you go down with a head injury you should have to leave the field for a concussion assessment for ten minutes. That would stop people going down for no reason.
Yes but as has been mentioned, that might lead to some players ignoring genuine head injuries, as they won't want to go off the pitch

Yes but as has been mentioned, that might lead to some players ignoring genuine head injuries, as they won't want to go off the pitch
True although it happens in other sports. I think in most cases, incidents will be noticeable to others (officials/medical staff) if they have the potential to cause concussion and officials should be able to send people off the pitch for assessments. I also think individual players, as difficult as it may be, have to take personal responsibility too if they have a genuine head injury.

As a talking point, how it is done to the best of my knowledge, in the code I have most awareness of these days, the NRL in Australia.

The club official / trainer / doctor has first refusal on removing a head-injured player from the action for a SCAT5 assessment, but if they don't - there is a neutral doctor sitting in the central bunker who can make the call that they need to be hauled off for a assessment.

There is a mandatory stand-down period of 15 mins that they need to serve, even if passing the test and returning to play. There is a free sub if the head injury results from foul play (I think) so that the team is not unduly punished during this time.

Works reasonably well.

Easiest thing in the world to do that in L1 at a price we can afford 😂!
Sometimes you have to spend a little more to get a player you want. Nobody wants to lose thier strikers, we need to start being ruthless. If they owners want to build a £100m stadium. £750k on a quality striker is short change to help them achieve their ambitions & being in the championship would help finance that stadium and make planning just that little bit easier if we have a great buzz & publicity going round the club & Oxfordshire. They financed a high turnover in the summer, they will need to do the same for 3/4 in January.

Yet just over a week ago we had won 5 in a row.

Both teams have had poor results, results where they have been lucky and results where they have completely out classed the other side.

It’s far too early to say if we will be top 2 contenders or in the play offs but to say 1 side will go up automatically and the other currently isn’t even a play off contender is knee jerk and IMO a bit ludicrous.

Everyone is disappointed after the last 3 games but we are always going to have these spells through out the season and guess what, I’m sure we will hit another slightly rough patch again at some stage.
We won’t be top 2 with the current squad. We aren’t getting enough goals from Harris & our top scorer is Greg Leigh. That’s why we will struggle to maintain our current position. January is massive & can’t come quick enough. We will see how serious the board are about promotion if we are still where we are. I’ve heard we will give it a right go in January if we are still in and around the top 2.

Do what they do in other sports, have an independent assessor, or as soon as there is a head injury you take the player off, first sign of a clash of heads you make a concussion sub for both which can be reversed after the check is complete

We won’t be top 2 with the current squad. We aren’t getting enough goals from Harris & our top scorer is Greg Leigh. That’s why we will struggle to maintain our current position. January is massive & can’t come quick enough. We will see how serious the board are about promotion if we are still where we are. I’ve heard we will give it a right go in January if we are still in and around the top 2.

Why won't we be top 2 in January? Look at the games we have between now and then. Leyton Orient (a) Cheltenham (a) Bolton (h) Peterborough (a) Reading (a) Burton (h) Northampton (a) Cambridge (h) Derby (h) - there's absolutely no reason why shouldn't be looking at 6 wins and a couple of draws from those games. That'll put us 49 points and will keep us very much in automatic promotion contention.

Its defeatist to think that a couple of poor games that have coincided with a sickness outbreak in the squad will define us any more than the 11 games before that when we have been flying.

Back
Top Bottom