Home Match Day Thread 26/03/2021 L1 OUFC v Lincoln City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
Another big test this evening. But Lincoln are having a big dip, even worse than ours. They have only won one of their last six games. Maybe, if the right team turns up, then we will have a chance. But I wish that the tv cameras weren't there.

I'm glad the TV cameras are there because I will be able to watch it in a pub in Sydney, albeit at 6:45 am on Saturday morning and not at 2am in the morning as usual (Yes, we are lucky here because the pubs are still open).
I haven't managed to go to a live match since August 2020 because we haven't been able to leave Australia for over a year and I hate watching matches on TV with no fans present just like everybody else. I have read all of the understandable criticism of the team, the managers and individual players over the last couple of weeks, but it seems with the exception of Blackpool and possibly Hull, Sunderland and Peterborough that no teams are being very consistent at the moment. They are all going through this relentless schedule of playing matches every Saturday and every Tuesday without a break which they have never had to do before, without any crowds to provide support. Of course they have to rotate players and inevitably players will get injured. Our record is no worse than Doncaster, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth or Lincoln. Doncaster and Portsmouth have both lost their managers over the last couple of weeks. The KR bashers should have listened to MAPP after their home defeat to Gillingham. Read the fans forums of these teams to see how delighted all of their fans are at their teams/managers/players performances.
Wycombe will be back down next season without having had any fans to see their year of glory. Coventry and Rotherham are not doing much better.
With no income from crowds, they are all struggling just to survive. It is never the same watching football on TV compared to watching it live, especially with no crowds and no atmosphere. It is easy to knock them from the comfort of your armchairs. I remember going to a match at Altrincham when we had to go past Old Trafford to get there. Let's please get a sense of perspective. We are not a "big" club, we do not have massive resources, we have no "divine right" to get promotion to a league above which we would probably struggle in any way, we do not own our own ground but have to pay rent to someone who never really had an interest in the club, we are owned by a group of Indonesians, Thais and Hong Kong based Germans and have no idea who they are or why they are interested in us. We are not Milan for gods sake and never will be.
Think yourselves lucky. The top "soccer" match here on Monday evening between Wellington (who Alex Gorrin used to play for) and Melbourne Victory was played in Wollongong, about 60 miles south of Sydney. The Wellington Players have to live in a bubble because they can't travel back to New Zealand. Crowds are allowed but there were only 1100 there to watch. There is no promotion and relegation. Teams can be created like the MK Dons. A team was created this year called Macarthur who play in Campbelltown, about 30 miles south of Sydney. Another team was created called Western United, who play at various grounds around Victoria. There is no sense of loyalty or feeling. The matches are shown on free to air TV in virtually empty stadiums and it doesn't really matter whether they win or lose, there are no away fans (Perth is a 4 hour flight away from Sydney) and the same teams will be playing in the same league next year whatever happens.
We all want to be back watching matches live again. It just seems to be a matter of just getting through it at the moment until we can do that again.
My prediction of the result based on recent experience is that I haven't got a clue!

To be fair there are usually (pre covid) between 2 and 30 away fans at glory games.

Lincoln best away record in League 1.

We are underdogs yet nothing but a win feels acceptable after the last 2 results and performances.

Got the date wrong of the last match I saw. August 2019 away to the Gas. We lost 3:1 and I sat in that crappy little stand behind the goal. The Rovers fans loved it when Taylor went off injured. Look where they are now, struggling to avoid relegation.

Of the managers gone from the promotion chasing clubs I missed Lambert from Ipswich out but hadn't picked up Bowyer going from Charlton.

We can win this, but we will need to find the swagger that we have lost down the sofa in the last few weeks.
From what I have seen, We still have the personnel to do the job, they are good enough to take the game to Lincoln.
What is needed is for the players to just go out there and show it.
Get in their faces, man for man be better than them and the result will look after itself.

A fairly meaningless game tonight. Play offs have gone and it’s one of those scenarios now where you just want the season to end.

Hoping, of course, for a win, but based on team selections and performances recently this could equally be 3-0 to us or 3-0 to them.

Tonight’s man in the middle is Scott Oldham from Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancs.

Oldham has refereed 25 games this season issuing 48 yellow cards and no reds.

FIRST U’s game : Oxford Utd 1-2 Walsall - September 23rd 2017

LAST U’s game : Ipswich Town 0-1 Oxford Utd - February 22rd 2020

ENEmXHCXUAAQyH0

Come on then lads were on the tele we’ve got sky cameras there so let’s put on a performance to show Oxfordshire how good we can be 3-1 Taylor agyei and shodipo
Coyy

Can see this becoming messy if they score early - Kelly or Grayson no where near the starting 11 tonight please. Play Ageyi up top and we might cause problems, offers so much more than Taylor does.

A match between two out of form sides due to injuries and players losing form. The form guide has Oxford at 14th and Lincoln at 19th. As said above this could go either way and will probably end up a 0-0 draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom