Away Match Day Thread 22/7/2023 PS Friendly: Bristol City v OUFC

If he was under contract another year, would the decision have been different?

Coaching staff are on rolling yearly contracts for a reason. It's not like any industry where you can decide to move jobs at any time, they have to see out their contract before they can sign onto another club or role or they can pay out if their contract.

Do you judge Manning by his playing career?
Why would I? I'm trying to see the correlation between that and Brown.

And @battman, I thought Eastwood was excellent when he got here and got worse over time, although age and injuries will have been part of that. Stevens was good but never improved his distribution which was always crap and has never got anywhere near his pre illness form. Crocombe left in 2016 having played a handful of games and has just now worked his way back to our level. Even under Appleton the keepers were a blind spot and cost us winning the league.

Like I say I don't know for sure, maybe he's excellent but I don't think he can point at many keepers he's improved in his time here. If he wants to continue coaching then we'll see where he ends up.

Why would I? I'm trying to see the correlation between that and Brown.

And @battman, I thought Eastwood was excellent when he got here and got worse over time, although age and injuries will have been part of that. Stevens was good but never improved his distribution which was always crap and has never got anywhere near his pre illness form. Crocombe left in 2016 having played a handful of games and has just now worked his way back to our level. Even under Appleton the keepers were a blind spot and cost us winning the league.

Like I say I don't know for sure, maybe he's excellent but I don't think he can point at many keepers he's improved in his time here. If he wants to continue coaching then we'll see where he ends up.
You previously said it was understandable that fans were judging Brown by his playing days so surely you would judge everyone by their playing career?

Unless you realise that being a good or bad player doesn’t make you a good or bad coach.

I'd forgotten how the board gets after a poor result, but didn't think silly hour happened on preseason games too!

Go back to the old days when we use to play Didcot town in preseason and win comfortably with loads of trialists that no one knew who they were and there wasn't smart phones to Google them on the spot. 🤣

Coaching staff are on rolling yearly contracts for a reason. It's not like any industry where you can decide to move jobs at any time, they have to see out their contract before they can sign onto another club or role or they can pay out if their contract.
I understand that & I understand the whole concept of a contract, don’t worry!
But to my mind, if it isn’t renewed it is either because the individual wants to move on or the club don’t want them to stay - for whatever reason.

Call it whatever we want, contract or no contract, if he’s not here it’s because he’s not at the standard required by his manager where as Lewis Price clearly is. And we can’t say it is solely on the grounds that Manning knows Price when Manning has just worked with Brown over a good amount of time. Plenty to strike up a rapport and understand what he wants. And yet, he wasn’t retained in favour of someone better.

And Karl Robinson was given the assistant managers job at Leeds because he was the best man for the job!!!

I understand that & I understand the whole concept of a contract, don’t worry!
But to my mind, if it isn’t renewed it is either because the individual wants to move on or the club don’t want them to stay - for whatever reason.

Call it whatever we want, contract or no contract, if he’s not here it’s because he’s not at the standard required by his manager where as Lewis Price clearly is. And we can’t say it is solely on the grounds that Manning knows Price when Manning has just worked with Brown over a good amount of time. Plenty to strike up a rapport and understand what he wants. And yet, he wasn’t retained in favour of someone better.

This is football. Players don't get offered a new contract and another player comes in who is better and does. Coaches, managers all come under the same scrutiny and their job security is very performance based.

Now Liam Manning clearly wanted a GK coach who was capable of training his goalkeepers how to play sweeper keeper and play out from the back, obviously with Eastwood you can't teach an old dog new tricks but it will likely be seeing out his contract and not offering him a new one.

You previously said it was understandable that fans were judging Brown by his playing days so surely you would judge everyone by their playing career?

Unless you realise that being a good or bad player doesn’t make you a good or bad coach.
My bad, just read that back. I was doing a couple of bits at once and thought you said people were judging Brown based on the players he coached rather than his playing career. Of course you can't judge someone as a coach based on their playing career, you don't have to look very far to see that's nonsense and it's becoming more common now for people who only played at very low levels or even didn't play professionally at all to make their way into the game.

I was only judging Brown based on how I've seen the players he's coached perform and to my mind none have really improved and most have got worse.

This is football. Players don't get offered a new contract and another player comes in who is better and does. Coaches, managers all come under the same scrutiny and their job security is very performance based.

Now Liam Manning clearly wanted a GK coach who was capable of training his goalkeepers how to play sweeper keeper and play out from the back, obviously with Eastwood you can't teach an old dog new tricks but it will likely be seeing out his contract and not offering him a new one.
Isn’t that the point? He’s gone because someone else is better? Or politely put, better equipped to do the job Manning is asking for?

My first post on this subject was because it was suggested he was especially highly regarded and held back by the quality of keeper at the club. Maybe he is - I’m not on the inner circle. But I just dispute that slightly on the basis that he’s been replaced without much hesitation despite having a running jump at keeping his job at a league one club. The first good keeper we’ve layed our hands on in years, he’s been deemed insufficient to coach.

I am.not sure that is true.
I would think that Negru, Stevens McGuane, Smyth, O'Donkor could be decent back up. But a reserve team not surprisingly, have been outclassed by a Championship team
Yep, my comments may have been somewhat brutal/ inaccurate .
I do still think we will ultimately need ( budget permitting ) 2 or 3 more up front, to allow rotation and/or an impact substitution

Isn’t that the point? He’s gone because someone else is better? Or politely put, better equipped to do the job Manning is asking for?

My first post on this subject was because it was suggested he was especially highly regarded and held back by the quality of keeper at the club. Maybe he is - I’m not on the inner circle. But I just dispute that slightly on the basis that he’s been replaced without much hesitation despite having a running jump at keeping his job at a league one club. The first good keeper we’ve layed our hands on in years, he’s been deemed insufficient to coach.
It’s not as deep as you think. Price has been brought in as Manning has worked with him before and knows what manning wants.

This happens up and down the country every year. Aston Villa let Neil Cutler go when they brought in a new manager. Neil Cutler is regarded as one of the best GK coaches in this country.

It’s usual for managers to bring in people they know, who aren’t necessarily ‘better’ - they’re mates. But it has to be said that our keepers seem to have developed similar faults recently, which doesn’t reflect brilliantly on their coach.

It’s not as deep as you think. Price has been brought in as Manning has worked with him before and knows what manning wants.

This happens up and down the country every year. Aston Villa let Neil Cutler go when they brought in a new manager. Neil Cutler is regarded as one of the best GK coaches in this country.
Which is staggering as he was a genuinely shite keeper.

Yep, my comments may have been somewhat brutal/ inaccurate .
I do still think we will ultimately need ( budget permitting ) 2 or 3 more up front, to allow rotation and/or an impact substitution
Three more up front!

So you want our forward options to be:

Browne
Harris
Goodrham
Murphy
New signing 1
New signing 2
New signing 3
Wildschut
O’Donkor

Just the 9 (nine) players there vying for three spots in the starting lineup…

Back
Top Bottom