Away Match Day Thread 22/7/2023 PS Friendly: Bristol City v OUFC

Naughty of the club to have 2 games within 24 hours with 1 excellent result and 1 expected result. The fans don’t know whether to be super positive or super negative. Even Kip is struggling to remember he is meant to be Mr doom and gloom 😂

Looking at the 2 line ups it is clear todays game was to give the fringe players a chance to shine and to see how players such as Bodin, Smyth, Negru and GOD do as the ‘main men’.

Against a very good Bristol City side I actually thought it could have been a higher score line.

Still a lot more positive about this season’s squad than last years and to only need 3 more in with 2 weeks to go is unheard of for OUFC!

Not too bothered about the result today - it was nothing more than a workout and we fielded a very fringe team that probably wont even be picked for the Football League Trophy ties. However there is players in that line-up that are miles off out starting XI and of the required quality for this league. I'd rather have 2-3 new signings that incorporate those into our squad but the state Robinson has left us in with contracts means we wont be able to bring in the quantity we would've liked.

Hopefully with a full, fresh side, we'll show much more when we play City in the Cup.

We still have the makings of a half decent squad.

Screenshot_20230722_182625_LINEUP11.jpg

We're unlikely to carry three keepers so we will likely loan one out, and we'll bring in at least one more striker/forward player, a left (wing) back and maybe another winger.

Having depth isn't about fielding a second string side who can compete with a first choice championship side. It's about Negru being able to come in alongside Moore or Thorniley and do well. Or Smyth giving you options in midfield, or Bodin and Henry playing little cameos. I didn't watch the game today, but judging what others have said, it's only Easty and Wildschut of the senior players that haven't stepped up. That's not a bad position to be in with 2 weeks until the first game and 5 weeks left of the window to make the necessary tweaks.

We still have the makings of a half decent squad.

View attachment 14731

We're unlikely to carry three keepers so we will likely loan one out, and we'll bring in at least one more striker/forward player, a left (wing) back and maybe another winger.

Having depth isn't about fielding a second string side who can compete with a first choice championship side. It's about Negru being able to come in alongside Moore or Thorniley and do well. Or Smyth giving you options in midfield, or Bodin and Henry playing little cameos. I didn't watch the game today, but judging what others have said, it's only Easty and Wildschut of the senior players that haven't stepped up. That's not a bad position to be in with 2 weeks until the first game and 5 weeks left of the window to make the necessary tweaks.
I think Negru could be the next Dickie and will break through this season.

Out of interest how long does Moore have left on his contract as I see Negru as his natural replacement.

I expect Eastwood to go out on loan as I believe Manning sees McGinty as number 2.

I think Negru could be the next Dickie and will break through this season.

Out of interest how long does Moore have left on his contract as I see Negru as his natural replacement.

I expect Eastwood to go out on loan as I believe Manning sees McGinty as number 2.
If he believed that, why did McGinty not feature yesterday or today?

McGinty has been involved in most PSF. Today was Eastwood’s first taste of action.
Yes, the two biggest pre season matches so far and Mcginty is nowhere to be seen. In all honesty, I suspect that Manning is not convinced by either keeper. I know Easty has had an injury hence McGinty's involvement but if he was really going to go out on loan then I don't think we would have seen him today.

McGinty has been involved in most PSF. Today was Eastwood’s first taste of action.
Neither McGinty nor Eastwood are the answer to the number two keeper. McGinty needs to go out on loan and unlearn all the B*****s that Brown filled his head with and Eastwood is just on the cusp of being past it at this level. He's had a good run but, on the showing today, he is not in a position to learn anything new. However, we have to accept that Beadle is on loan and we still need to have a keeper under contract. It's a real conundrum. What happened to the keepers we signed over the past few seasons, the youth/development squad?

Neither McGinty nor Eastwood are the answer to the number two keeper. McGinty needs to go out on loan and unlearn all the B*****s that Brown filled his head with and Eastwood is just on the cusp of being past it at this level.
Just out of interest , do you have inside knowledge that Wayne Brown was awful at his job, or are you guessing?

How long does Eastwood have left on his contract and how long does Mcginty?

Just out of interest , do you have inside knowledge that Wayne Brown was awful at his job, or are you guessing?
Don’t need the inside knowledge. We have the outside knowledge! Just look at our goalkeepers and their consistent failures at the fundamentals.

Who could blame Brighton if they sent Beadle here on the condition we made a change! Who’d send a top prospect like that here to work with Brown. (Don’t worry - I know that won’t be the case).

Cheeky buggers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722_202149_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_202149_Chrome.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 87
Doubt many people have knowledge of the ability of individual coaches but he was here over a decade and none of our keepers have had any sustained improvement in that time despite obvious weaknesses and most have regressed.

No insight into the hiring process either but he got the job having been in the building already as a player which doesn't scream going through a thorough process.

Neither McGinty nor Eastwood are the answer to the number two keeper. McGinty needs to go out on loan and unlearn all the B*****s that Brown filled his head with and Eastwood is just on the cusp of being past it at this level. He's had a good run but, on the showing today, he is not in a position to learn anything new. However, we have to accept that Beadle is on loan and we still need to have a keeper under contract. It's a real conundrum. What happened to the keepers we signed over the past few seasons, the youth/development squad?
Crocombe is/was at Grimsby
Harris is/was at Cheltenham
Plumley is/wasn't quite there
Next two or three in the pipeline very highly thought of....

So I do have ‘inside’ knowledge of Brown’s coaching ability and he is regarding as a very good GK coach. Unfortunately fans judge his coaching by his performances when he was a player.
He coached the keepers to how the managers wanted to play. It isn’t Brown’s fault that Eastwood isn’t a keeper that can play out from the back, that is just the keeper Eastwood is and it has never had to play out from the back until now then it’s the old saying of ‘you can’t teach an old dog new tricks’.

Eastwood was excellent up until his confidence was shot after a couple of mistakes and Steven’s was an excellent keeper up until his illness (Villa even wanted to pay money for him). Neither of those things are Brown’s fault.

Back
Top Bottom