Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we all just remember that if a striker isn't the first player through the door, it doesn't mean one isn't on the shopping list at all?

It's possible to work on more than one deal at a time, and it may be the case that the 'bigger' ones take a little longer to come to fruition.

I’m intrigued if we decide to put Harris out wide
Certainly has the pace for it... and when he's not shrugging his shoulders about not being fouled, he has the work rate too.

Can we all just remember that if a striker isn't the first player through the door, it doesn't mean one isn't on the shopping list at all?

It's possible to work on more than one deal at a time, and it may be the case that the 'bigger' ones take a little longer to come to fruition.

Hmm, I'm not sure about all this.

We need a Center forward to come in and bring the life back to the squad . We’ve lost our mojo at the moment and need that spark

I think McGuane has dropped off massively from the level he was at early season, pretty poor last night I thought. There was talk of potential interest in him in January and I'd be very tempted if a decent offer came in.
Seemed to do exactly the same last season if I can remember right start the season off both this & last to a flyer then it tailed off & had less of an impact in games like what’s happening now, this is why we need genuine competition for places come January just like Harris does up top he needs proper competition & all needs a bit of a rest

Another goal and assist last night
4 league and cup goals in 388mins.
This season.

What about Daniel Jebbison? offers something we definitely need pace and physicality up top, there’s also the link between Chris Wilder and Des now.
He had some injuries and has only played a handful of games in the last couple of seasons. He was at Burton previously on loan and did pretty well and he's certainly got the physicality. If he's fit then certainly worth looking at.

We need a Center forward to come in and bring the life back to the squad . We’ve lost our mojo at the moment and need that spark
I think we probably need a more savvy manager to do this rather than a striker - sadly our Board went fotr the nice homecoming story rather than an experienced manager with experience in management at this level

Pompey sign a player from Oz in Yengi who scores goals, how far do our recruitment team look?

Aren’t you a miserable fucker.

Not really. He or she is entitled to his/her opinion.

To an extent he/she has a point. I think a more experienced appointment would have been my choice. Just because posters don’t agree with the appointment, it doesn’t mean we are miserable fuckers.

We all want what’s best for OUFC and bleed Yellow and Blue, and want to see the club succeed. It’s not been a great start for Des Buckingham, and whilst he wasn’t my preference, I will also give him a fair crack of the whip. He has to show signs of improvement, and show he has what it takes to build a squad, and recruit well.

But it may take time, for me he has until 10 games in to next season. Then he would have had two windows to work in, and clear out the dead wood. Start off badly next season, on the back of two windows, then I will be leading the sack him chants.

People moan about the lack of atmosphere. Is it any wonder there isn’t any when so many are incredibly impatient, quick to criticise and downright negative. There’s no way those people are partaking in backing the team vocally. They’re too busy telling everyone around them about how the manager wasn’t their choice.

How about those of us that did want Buckingham but are now not totally convinced by him? And want to see a bit more passion, drive and energy from the team? I know he has had injuries to contend with but - and this is something I’m surprised hasn’t been picked up on more - I was concerned that, during his Reading post match interview, he said that people were now seeing his style, or words to that effect. I didn’t really see any real identity. Yes there were periods where we had possession but not really in dangerous areas. I want to see something more dynamic going forward. Hopefully that will come and - I will say it again, I know he’s been hamstrung with injuries to important players and has a lack of options up front - but I definitely don’t think he has put his stamp on things just yet.

When Appleton came in and started poorly, I remained supportive because I could see what he was trying to implement. I could see the identity. At present, I’m not quite seeing it yet. Maybe Des needs a Fazackerley type character by his side?

At this stage I’m still hopeful we made the right choice but I have to admit I’m disappointed with how things have started. The next two or three games are now vital to get some points, and also some confidence and belief back. Then we head into a crucial transfer window. Hopefully he’ll also - finally - get the support staff in to fill the gaps and help him implement what he’s trying to bring.We still have a great opportunity to have a successful and enjoyable season and it will be really frustrating to see it slip away. The next few weeks are pivotal.

Last edited:
When Appleton came in and started poorly, I remained supportive because I could see what he was trying to implement. I could see the identity. At present, I’m not quite seeing it yet. Maybe Des needs a Fazackerley type character by his
You were pretty much on your own then .
Well more than 50% on here wanted MAPP out.
We lost what 4 0 away at Cambride- MAPP bombed out a number of players including some he had bought in.
At that time I am not sure even MAPP could see an identity!

I think McGuane has dropped off massively from the level he was at early season, pretty poor last night I thought. There was talk of potential interest in him in January and I'd be very tempted if a decent offer came in.

I agree that MM has struggled to hit the levels of the first 10 games or so of this season. He was incredibly dynamic for that period and felt like a new signing.

We are having a tough time just at the minute and it needs to turn sharpish, but, this remains a very average league 1 this year and I don’t think we should be looking to offload the likes of MM.

I would be looking to add to the centre midfield pool of options, along with adding 2 out and out strikers (1 loan & 1 permanent) - not someone that can play all across the front line, but someone who knows what they are, a goalscorer that will lead the line.

If it were my responsibility, I’d look to do the following:

Offload:

Henry, permanently (amazing servant but his time is up)
Seddon, permanently
Findlay, permanently
Perkins
Smyth, loan
O’Donkor, loan
McGinty, loan
Thorniley, loan/permanently
Edwards - subject to the severity of his injury

Incoming:

Centre midfielder
Left back cover on loan (allowing Brown to be one of CB options)
2 strikers
Attacking wide player (who likes to get to the by-line and not constantly cut inside!

I‘d say it’s been obvious since the summer - when the Marriott deal collapsed and Harris stopped scoring - that we needed a striker (or two) so the recruitment team have had nigh on 6 months to get their ducks lined up. If we are waiting until late in the window and another 6 or 7 games passing us by then something has gone badly awry. I’d be very surprised if the first striker isn’t in by the first 10 days of window, a second could well be later in the month.

I agree that MM has struggled to hit the levels of the first 10 games or so of this season. He was incredibly dynamic for that period and felt like a new signing.

We are having a tough time just at the minute and it needs to turn sharpish, but, this remains a very average league 1 this year and I don’t think we should be looking to offload the likes of MM.

I would be looking to add to the centre midfield pool of options, along with adding 2 out and out strikers (1 loan & 1 permanent) - not someone that can play all across the front line, but someone who knows what they are, a goalscorer that will lead the line.

If it were my responsibility, I’d look to do the following:

Offload:

Henry, permanently (amazing servant but his time is up)
Seddon, permanently
Findlay, permanently
Perkins
Smyth, loan
O’Donkor, loan
McGinty, loan
Thorniley, loan/permanently
Edwards - subject to the severity of his injury

Incoming:

Centre midfielder
Left back cover on loan (allowing Brown to be one of CB options)
2 strikers
Attacking wide player (who likes to get to the by-line and not constantly cut inside!

Agree with much of this - although the pessimist in me feels like this is probably two transfer windows worth of activity (particularly the outgoings, which I presume you’re partially using to fund/squad space the incomings). Would be a heck of a January window to condense all that down…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom