Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
It feels like adding strikers has been an issue for our recruitment team for a few years (they did very well with CB), we very much relied on Matt Taylor but struggling to remember many goal scorer successes (+15)..

Fact is that the new recruitment team have only had one window. They did brilliantly in the time they had and with the number of players we needed. Their success rate, circumstances considered, has been excellent.

Now the job is different. They are targeting specific positions and types of player, and all eyes are on the impact that those 1 or 2 will make when they come into the team. Get them wrong and it'll be highlighted. Get it right and it could turn this into a highly successful season.

A great start to the season has raised expectations. 2-3 transfer windows is the sweet spot for building a good team and squad.

Liam Manning gave us an insight into the plans the team have when he talked about Mehmeti at Bristol City being a target. There are some top players out there and I have no doubt that we will be giving this a good go in January.

Fact is that the new recruitment team have only had one window. They did brilliantly in the time they had and with the number of players we needed. Their success rate, circumstances considered, has been excellent.

Now the job is different. They are targeting specific positions and types of player, and all eyes are on the impact that those 1 or 2 will make when they come into the team. Get them wrong and it'll be highlighted. Get it right and it could turn this into a highly successful season.

A great start to the season has raised expectations. 2-3 transfer windows is the sweet spot for building a good team and squad.

Liam Manning gave us an insight into the plans the team have when he talked about Mehmeti at Bristol City being a target. There are some top players out there and I have no doubt that we will be giving this a good go in January.

Unless we have a blistering December then our problem could be attracting the quality of a Mehmeti. We looked a fantastic proposition to championship strikers six or seven weeks ago - toe to toe with Pompey and four or five points clear. Now we look nothing more than a club desperately clinging to a play off place. The dramatic slide under Des will certainly raise the eyebrows of any incoming striker - unless, as I say, we can turn this slump around in what remains of December.

The main concern is surely that what we really need is a striker who will come in and score 10-15 goals in half a season.

Any player with a high chance of doing that is going to cost an awful lot.

Think we're going to be relying on some very, VERY savvy recruitment.

I think that generally the recruitment team did a very good job.
The thing that they got badly wrong was the striker position however.

I think that generally the recruitment team did a very good job.
The thing that they got badly wrong was the striker position however.

Aside of a goalkeeper probably the most important position on the pitch and they got it badly wrong. I’d agree that elsewhere was pretty impressive but the fact they messed up that most vital of recruits I’d say they did a good job - 7/10.

The main concern is surely that what we really need is a striker who will come in and score 10-15 goals in half a season.

Any player with a high chance of doing that is going to cost an awful lot.

Think we're going to be relying on some very, VERY savvy recruitment.
Well, not necessarily. Bishop and Charles cost around 250k each.

Our problem is that, Taylor aside, we ALWAYS try to do something clever when it comes to striker, rather than do the obvious.

The Sonny Perkins, the Jonte Smiths, the Jerome Sinclair's. The most important position on the pitch and we consistently P**s about with it.

Well, not necessarily. Bishop and Charles cost around 250k each.

Our problem is that, Taylor aside, we ALWAYS try to do something clever when it comes to striker, rather than do the obvious.

The Sonny Perkins, the Jonte Smiths, the Jerome Sinclair's. The most important position on the pitch and we consistently P**s about with it.
True, but I can't think of another player of their standard that we could get for anything even close for that in January? I feel the summer was the time to get that 15-20 goal a season striker - they've all already been snapped up and their stock massively increased.

True, but I can't think of another player of their standard that we could get for anything even close for that in January? I feel the summer was the time to get that 15-20 goal a season striker - they've all already been snapped up and their stock massively increased.
Who was available through the summer? We obviosuly tried for Marriott - Longman? Burey?

The pool of strikers is already a very small one, throw in league experience, plus proven goals and it becomes smaller still.

Obviously it can be done, but even a stand out in League Two is now seeing a direct jump to the Championship (most probably! Al-Hamadi).

Freddie Ladapo
JCH
Jake Young
Isaac Olaofe

Four strikers that i'd be having a good look at. The top two have scored goals at this level and the bottom 2 are having excellent seasons in league 2 and of an age that could see progression.

Who was available through the summer? We obviosuly tried for Marriott - Longman? Burey?

The pool of strikers is already a very small one, throw in league experience, plus proven goals and it becomes smaller still.

Obviously it can be done, but even a stand out in League Two is now seeing a direct jump to the Championship (most probably! Al-Hamadi).
I've seen Al Hamadi several times this season (AFCW mates if I can't get to our game). He's the best L2 forward I've seen since Roofe. Looks like he's off to the Championship though- Leeds or Sunderland. But Peterborough are apparently also interested (they've denied it, but they have asked). He's just the sort of player Peterborough take a punt on, and it often seems to work out. AFCW are after £1.5M. Not bad for a player AFCW got on a free (with a sell on clause) from WW in January!

Rhodes and May are the one's that spring to mind. May for obvious reasons, and Rhodes because he's a proven EFL striker that can play in a couple of different ways.

I agree with what you're saying though which is the pool of what we need is very small, which is why it'll be big bucks to get one.

I think McGuane has dropped off massively from the level he was at early season, pretty poor last night I thought. There was talk of potential interest in him in January and I'd be very tempted if a decent offer came in.
Find this odd when you are the type of poster who would criticise us for selling our best players when trying to get promoted & behave like an ambitious club.

We know the player he is when he's flying and even at 50% of himself he's streets ahead of the average L1 midfielder. I'd go completely the opposite way and slap a new contract in front of him and make him feel important rather than leave him totally inferior to the guy playing 10 yards to his right doing the same job to the same level.

If it were up to me I wouldn't sell anybody but I certainly don't see the benefit of selling McGuane. You'd do well to replace him with anybody as good or better on the same wage and if he were to go on January the fee we receive would need to be spent replacing him.

Find this odd when you are the type of poster who would criticise us for selling our best players when trying to get promoted & behave like an ambitious club.

We know the player he is when he's flying and even at 50% of himself he's streets ahead of the average L1 midfielder. I'd go completely the opposite way and slap a new contract in front of him and make him feel important rather than leave him totally inferior to the guy playing 10 yards to his right doing the same job to the same level.

If it were up to me I wouldn't sell anybody but I certainly don't see the benefit of selling McGuane. You'd do well to replace him with anybody as good or better on the same wage and if he were to go on January the fee we receive would need to be spent replacing him.
Absolutely agree. Would he sign though?

Josh Stokes from Aldershot would be a good move.
Agree. Probably not the answer now, but one of the best youngsters kicking around in the lower leagues and having a great season at just 19 years old. Sort of player Peterborough always end up signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom