Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be looking at Divin Mubama from West Ham.

19 year old striker, scored plenty of goals in the PL2 and U18 Premier League. Has 10 goals in 9 games in the FA Youth Cup, and has already scored and assisted in Europe (Conference League).

Big and strong, but fast and mobile - can hold the ball up and run in behind. Suits our style of play.

Cogs have always turned slowly in recruitment here.
Is that true?

Possibly more so in recent seasons, but I think that's largely down to Robinson's 'philosophy' of neglecting to do any proper planning, ignoring advice from professionals before eventually landing on high risk/high reward players who owe him something.

There was a point in time about 7 or 8 years ago where our recruitment was a slick operation. Roofe, Sercombe, Ryan Taylor, Slocombe and Baldock (loan) were all 'signed' on 1 July 2015, but the reality is the work had all been done prior to that and many were actually announced ahead of the window opening. We then added Lundstram in the middle of August 2015 before Jordan Graham came in on loan towards the end of September 2015. We also picked up Jordan Bowery and made Maguire permanent in that January 2016 window.

1 July 2016 saw us sign the likes of Eastwood, Martin, Ribeiro and Thomas, but again all the work had already been done at that point. Nelson arrived on 4 July. Rothwell came on 12 July. Robbie Hall was back 1 week after that and then the likes of Ledson and Marvin Johnson came at the end of August 2016.

That recruitment system was dismantled over time by Robinson, but now it appears Waldron is putting it back together. That's certainly what it looked like based on how we operated over summer, but it'll take time.

Is it f*****g mental? I don't think it is. Portsmouth have been pretty well run for a while now, haven't they?

They signed Bishop on 21 July 2022. For comparison, that was the date we signed Ed McGinty (who absolutely could be a 20 goal a season striker for all we know). 2 days prior to that, we signed Stuart Findlay. Of course we had to wait for that one because he had to stay and help his existing club, or something. Either way it was the height of professionalism from us - waiting around to give an expensive 4 year contract to someone who had barely played on the other side of the Atlantic for the best part of 2 years. And one day after Portsmouth signed Bishop, we announced Yanic. So they were making moves like Bishop, whilst we were pinning our hopes on players with question marks all over them.

Despite that disaster of a summer window, we still (somehow) had Robinson in charge 12 months ago. He was overdue the sack by at least 3 months, but we had invested a lot of time in a leopard changing his spots and Tim was also getting along fine with his bodyguards, so it was deemed that there was no need to try and change anything for a further 2 and a half months.

Meanwhile, the infrastructure of the club had slowly been ripped out, until it started collapsing. Our then Head of Recruitment had been getting ignored for ages and was being lined up by Derby. As a result, with an outgoing Head of Recruitment, Robinson phoning it in and some fairly clueless senior leadership, I don't think it's that much of a coincidence that our January window consisted of the likes of Tyler Smith and Konate.

I think the only serious transfer window we've had, where grown ups were running the show and actually had something to work with, was the most recent summer window. Karl Robinson told a room of people (many from this forum) that it was really hard to sign strikers because 'Matty Taylor is the number 9 here so others are unlikely to come'. He said this whilst Ipswich were on their way to scoring 101 league goals through the rotation of Chaplin, Ladapo, Hirst, Broadhead and others. So that was the sort of attitude we had, and unfortunately it had assumed control of our recruitment for quite some time. So as far as I'm concerned, it's not worth getting too hung up on who we haven't signed in all but the most recent transfer window.

In terms of the summer just gone, it was widely reported we missed out on Marriott there, but we did pick up both Harris and Perkins. Granted, we missed the elusive fox-in-the-box, but we were at least fishing it the right waters. It's a shame that Perkins clearly hasn't worked out and the 'could Harris be a goalscorer at this level?' gamble doesn't look to have paid off, although at least he does offer the team something. We also had a considerable amount of work to do elsewhere other than just up front. That's not to say 'oh well, that's fine then'. I know Portsmouth signed Yengi on 2 July 2023 but at that point, we were still almost 2 months away from getting an actual left back in, after god knows how many seasons without one. Portsmouth ended the season unbeaten in 11, so I daresay their squad didn't require quite the same level as fixing over the summer as ours did, considering we ended ours scrabbling around for points against Cheltenham and FGR.

My point being is that, whilst we can obviously compare the current state of our squad to others, it's a little pointless as ours only started to get properly assembled within the last 6 months. There was years of complacency before then, but I don't think anyone (in the right places of the club) is being complacent now. I think McEachran, Thorniley and Rodrigues all got announced the day the summer window opened, so hopefully we will see something similar in January. We're considerably more organised now, so hopefully that mythical £400k is aimed at a more realistic target than the likes of Evan Ferguson.

Good argument.

It's fair to say that KR did not identify what was needed, in the last window with a new management and recruitment team we saw what could be achieved with a sensible plan. It's just been unfortunate that the 2 'centre forward' signings in Harris & Perkins haven't yet worked out; most of the other signings have been great. I think Perkins time has been and gone, and Harris after a great start has tailed off (I haven't written him off in that role though). I can't wait to see where we are after the January window, and if we don't go up this year I think it will be interesting to see where we are at the start of next season. It was always going to take a few windows to reshape the squad, and we are probably ahead of where most of us thought we would be.

Having said that I would like us to sign 2 centre forwards this January, one who maybe is slightly more proven at this level and a youngster who has more experience than Perkins on a loan (poss loan to buy scenario). Assuming we keep who we want, if we could then strenghten with 2 centre forwards, a ball winnning midfielder, a right back and a wide man then I think we'll be back in business for a top 2 spot. I think we could accomodate those signings if we moved 1 or 2 on permanently, and let a couple go on loan

Is that true?

Possibly more so in recent seasons, but I think that's largely down to Robinson's 'philosophy' of neglecting to do any proper planning, ignoring advice from professionals before eventually landing on high risk/high reward players who owe him something.

There was a point in time about 7 or 8 years ago where our recruitment was a slick operation. Roofe, Sercombe, Ryan Taylor, Slocombe and Baldock (loan) were all 'signed' on 1 July 2015, but the reality is the work had all been done prior to that and many were actually announced ahead of the window opening. We then added Lundstram in the middle of August 2015 before Jordan Graham came in on loan towards the end of September 2015. We also picked up Jordan Bowery and made Maguire permanent in that January 2016 window.

1 July 2016 saw us sign the likes of Eastwood, Martin, Ribeiro and Thomas, but again all the work had already been done at that point. Nelson arrived on 4 July. Rothwell came on 12 July. Robbie Hall was back 1 week after that and then the likes of Ledson and Marvin Johnson came at the end of August 2016.

That recruitment system was dismantled over time by Robinson, but now it appears Waldron is putting it back together. That's certainly what it looked like based on how we operated over summer, but it'll take time.
Was slow before Robinson, but you’re right about him.

Good argument.

It's fair to say that KR did not identify what was needed, in the last window with a new management and recruitment team we saw what could be achieved with a sensible plan. It's just been unfortunate that the 2 'centre forward' signings in Harris & Perkins haven't yet worked out; most of the other signings have been great. I think Perkins time has been and gone, and Harris after a great start has tailed off (I haven't written him off in that role though). I can't wait to see where we are after the January window, and if we don't go up this year I think it will be interesting to see where we are at the start of next season. It was always going to take a few windows to reshape the squad, and we are probably ahead of where most of us thought we would be.

Having said that I would like us to sign 2 centre forwards this January, one who maybe is slightly more proven at this level and a youngster who has more experience than Perkins on a loan (poss loan to buy scenario). Assuming we keep who we want, if we could then strenghten with 2 centre forwards, a ball winnning midfielder, a right back and a wide man then I think we'll be back in business for a top 2 spot. I think we could accomodate those signings if we moved 1 or 2 on permanently, and let a couple go on loan
I broadly agree with that shopping list, but not sure how likely we are to see a right back or a central midfielder. I’m not sure Stevens/Long is enough for promotion at RB but I don’t think it’s a huge problem position either. I agree we could use an upgrade on Gorrin, but not an easy sell or priority when we have two or three established players in midfield.

Another winger to cover current and future injuries is important in January, but we do have depth.

The position that dictates this season from here is centre forward. We haven’t had a striker score since the 15th August and we’re 6th in the league. If we need to plough the whole January budget into fixing that one issue with a Ladapo or Joe Taylor then so be it, regardless of it means we get one or two in total rather than four or five, the hard work has already been done with the rest of the squad.

Is it f*****g mental? I don't think it is. Portsmouth have been pretty well run for a while now, haven't they?

They signed Bishop on 21 July 2022. For comparison, that was the date we signed Ed McGinty (who absolutely could be a 20 goal a season striker for all we know). 2 days prior to that, we signed Stuart Findlay. Of course we had to wait for that one because he had to stay and help his existing club, or something. Either way it was the height of professionalism from us - waiting around to give an expensive 4 year contract to someone who had barely played on the other side of the Atlantic for the best part of 2 years. And one day after Portsmouth signed Bishop, we announced Yanic. So they were making moves like Bishop, whilst we were pinning our hopes on players with question marks all over them.

Despite that disaster of a summer window, we still (somehow) had Robinson in charge 12 months ago. He was overdue the sack by at least 3 months, but we had invested a lot of time in a leopard changing his spots and Tim was also getting along fine with his bodyguards, so it was deemed that there was no need to try and change anything for a further 2 and a half months.

Meanwhile, the infrastructure of the club had slowly been ripped out, until it started collapsing. Our then Head of Recruitment had been getting ignored for ages and was being lined up by Derby. As a result, with an outgoing Head of Recruitment, Robinson phoning it in and some fairly clueless senior leadership, I don't think it's that much of a coincidence that our January window consisted of the likes of Tyler Smith and Konate.

I think the only serious transfer window we've had, where grown ups were running the show and actually had something to work with, was the most recent summer window. Karl Robinson told a room of people (many from this forum) that it was really hard to sign strikers because 'Matty Taylor is the number 9 here so others are unlikely to come'. He said this whilst Ipswich were on their way to scoring 101 league goals through the rotation of Chaplin, Ladapo, Hirst, Broadhead and others. So that was the sort of attitude we had, and unfortunately it had assumed control of our recruitment for quite some time. So as far as I'm concerned, it's not worth getting too hung up on who we haven't signed in all but the most recent transfer window.

In terms of the summer just gone, it was widely reported we missed out on Marriott there, but we did pick up both Harris and Perkins. Granted, we missed the elusive fox-in-the-box, but we were at least fishing it the right waters. It's a shame that Perkins clearly hasn't worked out and the 'could Harris be a goalscorer at this level?' gamble doesn't look to have paid off, although at least he does offer the team something. We also had a considerable amount of work to do elsewhere other than just up front. That's not to say 'oh well, that's fine then'. I know Portsmouth signed Yengi on 2 July 2023 but at that point, we were still almost 2 months away from getting an actual left back in, after god knows how many seasons without one. Portsmouth ended the season unbeaten in 11, so I daresay their squad didn't require quite the same level as fixing over the summer as ours did, considering we ended ours scrabbling around for points against Cheltenham and FGR.

My point being is that, whilst we can obviously compare the current state of our squad to others, it's a little pointless as ours only started to get properly assembled within the last 6 months. There was years of complacency before then, but I don't think anyone (in the right places of the club) is being complacent now. I think McEachran, Thorniley and Rodrigues all got announced the day the summer window opened, so hopefully we will see something similar in January. We're considerably more organised now, so hopefully that mythical £400k is aimed at a more realistic target than the likes of Evan Ferguson.
Agree - there is definitely balance to this debate. Ultimately nobody in their right mind watching us this season would deny we need an alternative to Mark Harris. But in the same breath you have to acknowledge a couple of things. People frame this as though it was gross neglect from Waldron/Manning but conveniently forget that we signed (on paper) the ideal loan player from a higher level to carry some of the goal-scoring weight. What's happened with Perkins, we can't be certain about, but it happens sometimes, and sadly leaves us with a problem to solve. But we didn't ignore the issue like some make out.

Secondly, as you say, we were at a standing start a matter of months ago. If we'd been clinging on to top half at this point, would be disappointed or would we say that's about what we expected all things considered? We're ahead of the curve despite no striker at the club scoring goals and a completely unanticipated change of manager taking a sledgehammer to our positive start. We've become victims of our own success now as fans forget where we were just 6 months ago, yet Manning still gets painted as 'not that good anyway' - just remember he is predominantly the reason we all feel disappointment at a couple of poor results. I still remember the pure overwhelming relief of staying up like it was yesterday.

It remains to be seen whether Des can carry on where Manning left off, but we couldn't have wished for a better hand going in to January. Imagine where we could be once the elusive goal-getter is added and I'm sure that was always part of the 2-season rebuild process (hence the Marriott chase) we expected, but for whatever reason it didn't happen on our preferred timescales. It is of course now a priority in January to capitalise on the position we rather unexpectedly find ourselves in so soon.

Agree - there is definitely balance to this debate. Ultimately nobody in their right mind watching us this season would deny we need an alternative to Mark Harris. But in the same breath you have to acknowledge a couple of things. People frame this as though it was gross neglect from Waldron/Manning but conveniently forget that we signed (on paper) the ideal loan player from a higher level to carry some of the goal-scoring weight. What's happened with Perkins, we can't be certain about, but it happens sometimes, and sadly leaves us with a problem to solve. But we didn't ignore the issue like some make out.

Secondly, as you say, we were at a standing start a matter of months ago. If we'd been clinging on to top half at this point, would be disappointed or would we say that's about what we expected all things considered? We're ahead of the curve despite no striker at the club scoring goals and a completely unanticipated change of manager taking a sledgehammer to our positive start. We've become victims of our own success now as fans forget where we were just 6 months ago, yet Manning still gets painted as 'not that good anyway' - just remember he is predominantly the reason we all feel disappointment at a couple of poor results. I still remember the pure overwhelming relief of staying up like it was yesterday.

It remains to be seen whether Des can carry on where Manning left off, but we couldn't have wished for a better hand going in to January. Imagine where we could be once the elusive goal-getter is added and I'm sure that was always part of the 2-season rebuild process (hence the Marriott chase) we expected, but for whatever reason it didn't happen on our preferred timescales. It is of course now a priority in January to capitalise on the position we rather unexpectedly find ourselves in so soon.

I agree completely about being victims of our own success this season.

Ciaron Brown was nailed on for 22/23 player of the season because he was readily available and committed. That stood out as something out of the ordinary last season because of how far standards had dropped, when really it should be the bare minimum that we expect.

Robinson was a huge part of the drop in standards, it's just he had been getting away with it for so long. Going the whole season with 6 defenders on the books was always reckless, it's just fortunate that they were all in decent form and mainly injury free. The real unravelling was when he lost the likes of Sykes, Williams and Forde. All players that were hard working and energetic, who had been used to plug holes all over the team (I'll never forget Williams having to play at left back).

Karl should have been out the door in August, but even then there were several opportunities after that to give him the boot. It's the dithering last season that we're playing catch up on now. Had he gone earlier then the next manager could have been appointed in time for the January window. We could have simply put Mous in temporary charge and who knows, possibly it could have been little old us competing for Marriott's signature alongside the might of Fleetwood. As it was, we still had the clown show until the end of February, so up until then there would've been very little (or likely zero) proactive stuff happening. The frustrating thing about a lot of that is that it's not even 'easy to say in hindsight'. Many of us were saying it in advance, but the club were so unbelievably slow to react (which is why I for one am still very wary of the Tim/Grant combo).

That said, things are looking much better now. I'm all for having standards and expectations, but they need to be realistically achievable. We've only started getting our house in order over the past 9 or so months (Waldron was appointed at the end of March), so now I think we can reasonably expect the right players to be targeted - hopefully January is an exciting month.

I agree completely about being victims of our own success this season.

Ciaron Brown was nailed on for 22/23 player of the season because he was readily available and committed. That stood out as something out of the ordinary last season because of how far standards had dropped, when really it should be the bare minimum that we expect.

Robinson was a huge part of the drop in standards, it's just he had been getting away with it for so long. Going the whole season with 6 defenders on the books was always reckless, it's just fortunate that they were all in decent form and mainly injury free. The real unravelling was when he lost the likes of Sykes, Williams and Forde. All players that were hard working and energetic, who had been used to plug holes all over the team (I'll never forget Williams having to play at left back).

Karl should have been out the door in August, but even then there were several opportunities after that to give him the boot. It's the dithering last season that we're playing catch up on now. Had he gone earlier then the next manager could have been appointed in time for the January window. We could have simply put Mous in temporary charge and who knows, possibly it could have been little old us competing for Marriott's signature alongside the might of Fleetwood. As it was, we still had the clown show until the end of February, so up until then there would've been very little (or likely zero) proactive stuff happening. The frustrating thing about a lot of that is that it's not even 'easy to say in hindsight'. Many of us were saying it in advance, but the club were so unbelievably slow to react (which is why I for one am still very wary of the Tim/Grant combo).

That said, things are looking much better now. I'm all for having standards and expectations, but they need to be realistically achievable. We've only started getting our house in order over the past 9 or so months (Waldron was appointed at the end of March), so now I think we can reasonably expect the right players to be targeted - hopefully January is an exciting month.

Also worth remembering that we not only went into January ‘23 with a manager that should have left long before, but also a head of recruitment that knew he was off to a league rival.

I know we like to hate manning, but he walked into a horror show. He did what was needed in keeping us up, managed to overturn things in the summer and left us in the automatic spots. It’s a shame he left, but he certainly moved the club on from where it was. Hopefully this January is a big contrast to the last - hopefully we maintain the summer strategy.

If the summer is anything to go by, we should have targets lined up and agreements in place. It’s obvious to most what needs to be done this window if serious.

F**king mental that Pompey can suffer the loss of their 20 goal a season talisman to injury, yet have a centre-forward with the goal scoring ability and all-round quality of Yengi come in as back-up.

How the other half live.

Meanwhile we still need the equivalent of both.

I think it just means that Pompey hit on their roll of the dice, whilst we missed on ours (Perkins). Yengi was good recruiting, but there's noone who can claim that signing a striker who had a grand total of 10 goals on his resume in the Australian Premier League was a sure thing to be a success at League One level.

That's the comparatively easy part of the January window - we send Perkins back and have another roll on a Premier League youngster or random international striker with an English Mum to be our backup. Over to you, Waldron & co.

The hard (and expensive part) of the January window is finding our Colby Bishop......the sure-thing goalscorer that we desperately need.

Yes, Stevens is part of our best back 4 line up, and is a youngster who will only get better with experience.

Teddy Mfuni is still showing as part of our first team squad on the OWS as is Max Woltman. The latter was signed as a development prospect I think (although he has been fairly conspicuous by his absence in any Paint Pot games etc). The former???

Looks like Manning is in for Young and Kemp at Swindon. Would have been interesting, had he stayed, as to whether we'd have gone for either (or both) of them.

Yes, Stevens is part of our best back 4 line up, and is a youngster who will only get better with experience.

Teddy Mfuni is still showing as part of our first team squad on the OWS as is Max Woltman. The latter was signed as a development prospect I think (although he has been fairly conspicuous by his absence in any Paint Pot games etc). The former???
Mfuni was in a training video the other week so seemingly still about. Don't think he is ever going to get near the squad though - a bit of a favour from KR really.
Went on trial at Gloucester City in the summer, and they didn't want him, so suggests what level he is at!

Mfuni was in a training video the other week so seemingly still about. Don't think he is ever going to get near the squad though - a bit of a favour from KR really.
Went on trial at Gloucester City in the summer, and they didn't want him, so suggests what level he is at!
I will not have that Karl worked on a "favours" basis. Absolutely not. Everything he did here was thoroughly researched, and with the club's long term interests at heart.

I thought Woltman was nursing an injury for a while? Probably just never made a talking point since he isn’t a notable absence.

We also need to move players out:
Henry
Perkins
Josh Mc
Replace Stevens (?)
Mcginty (loan)
GOD (loan)

Would be my list…
I think it’s been glaringly obvious which players need to go or need upgrading but I’m surprised not to see Thorniley on that list, I’ve never been a fan of his even in his first spell I remember watching him get bullied against the likes of Lincoln Wycombes away etc & knew then he wasn’t up to the job, in the last 3/4 games against Cheltenham Peterborough Reading he’s looked the biggest weak link he’s far to slow to keep up with play & I know it’s his manner but his body language seems a bit off to me you never see him bust a gut to get back to stop an attack he allows them to get past him far to easily he’s so sluggish. Moore/Brown partnership with Negru & another CB going forward imo

I think you can add Smyth & Gorrin to that list as well & go out to bring in a decent CM who is going to push McGuane & Brannagan all the way

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom