Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
League of Ireland start’s February, wouldn’t mind both at Sligo
Is Sam Curtis realistic mate? I’d like to think that Oxford is a no brainer for any LOI player but I can’t help but feel like Sam Curtis is perhaps “too good” for league one and will move to a championship club soon.

Do we still have any sort of affiliation with Oxford City? Would be good to send GO'D and McGinty out on loan to them. Helps us out with their development, helps them out with fight against relegation.
That could work but Oxford City would have to want them
For GO'D he needs a team that win a few games and attack.

Is Sam Curtis realistic mate? I’d like to think that Oxford is a no brainer for any LOI player but I can’t help but feel like Sam Curtis is perhaps “too good” for league one and will move to a championship club soon.
Would think he’s off to the premiership.
Very good player.
I think Oxford would be a great move for him. 1st team football wouldn’t be far away.
Only got to look at the likes of Sykes, Whyte and McNally as examples. Or follow the path to bigger clubs, years of waiting for games or loaned out regularly as O’Connor Galbraith or Afalobi.
Jonny Kenny is another, good young forward. Signs for Celtic and has been loaned to Queens Park and Shamrock now 20 and may of been a starting most weeks, if had followed the route of Trai Hume for instance.

Last edited:
Do we still have any sort of affiliation with Oxford City? Would be good to send GO'D and McGinty out on loan to them. Helps us out with their development, helps them out with fight against relegation.
I'll use Christmas family get-togethers to spread the word on McGinty's form, and see what I can do...

It is also worth remembering that Oxford City did have O'Donkor on loan last year, and he didn't exactly set the world alight.

Was the season before, i.e. March/April of the 2021/22 season, wasn't it? He was only 17 at the time.

Though I have to say - at the beginning of the season, I thought we could find somewhere better than Oxford City for him, such was the promise he had shown last year. Now, I think I'd be delighted if City took him.....think National League South is probably more likely to get his confidence back.

It absolutely is a question that needs answering right now. We want to be closing in on a new number 9 on or around 1st January. not 31st January. Our strikers have 5 or 6 goals between them and we are 20 days from Christmas, in my opinion we have never been in greater need of goal scorers. Little point in worrying about wingers if you have centre forwards who can't hit the proverbial barn door. I'd be looking to bring in two goal scoring centre forwards who can push each other to the heights needed to sustain a promotion push.

I remember at the start of our success back in the early 1980's we had two strikers banging them in in L1 (old 3rd division), Steve Biggins and Mick Vinter (both 1 in 2 or 3), and then Smith brought in a renowned striker in Neil Watmore to add even more firepower. He got 15 or 16 in about 35 games and we never looked back. All three got moved on pretty sharpish when we moved up a league and in came Aldridge and then Hamilton. There's five or six genuine goal scorers in two or three years, I don't know why it's become so difficult to find them in this era, nor do I understand why managers seem so content to stick with strikers who, er, don't score ?

Clarke-Harris is a decent shout and in years gone by a player as free scoring as Young would have been brought in too.
Not quite as Whatmore came in the season Biggins was looking poor and Vinter / Foley were the preferred striking options 82/83....Vinter/Whatmore then expected to be main ones when Biggins hit 23 goals Inc the famous cup win v Man U 83/84 ....Aldridge signed at Easter then Hamilton during the summer ...Whatmore part exchange to Burnley ,Vinter a free I think while Biggins went to Derby after a month or so of Div 2 season .

Mick Vinter good grafter ,and Neil WHatmore another class player .Biggins what a season then the King turned up Aldridge just simply the best ,so far.

Caught the 2nd half of Bath v Yeovil.last night
0:1 att 3639
Local lad Jordan Thomas had a very good game, crowd were cheering every time he roasted the left back.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not being looked at by someone.

Seen a few say we shouldn't dip into the free agent market at this stage so I thought I'd look to see who's available.

I know this is wildly optimistic but Helder Costa (previously of Wolves & Leeds) is still a free agent...

On a more realistic note, Gwion Edwards is still available as back-up on the wings.

A few more freebies with EFL experience still available*:
FORWARDS -
Brandon Barker
Robert Snodgrass
Rolando Aarons
Sammy Ameobi
Reo Griffiths
MIDFIELDERS -
Matty Longstaff
Luke Amos
Josh Morris
Kevin Stewart
DEFENDERS -
Jack Simpson
Steven Caulker
Danny Rose
Liam Moore

*Not necessarily suggesting any of the above players for us*

Some 'interesting' options I wouldn't turn my nose up at...

Ronan Curtis - We all know him, most of us don't like him, but no doubt he can be a good player at L1 level.

Gary Madine - 8 goals and assists in the Championship last season (almost as many as Harris had in the Championship his entire career before he joined...). Wouldn't necessarily be a starter but would be a good replacement for O'Donkor should he go on loan. Good hold up play - may allow our wingers & Rodrigues/Bodin to play off him.

Josh Onomah - Still only 26, played over 100 games in the Championship. Can play as a holding or forward thinking midfielder. Very good option in case of McGuane or Brannagam injury/suspension, or to just play alongside them

Seen a few say we shouldn't dip into the free agent market at this stage so I thought I'd look to see who's available.

I know this is wildly optimistic but Helder Costa (previously of Wolves & Leeds) is still a free agent...

On a more realistic note, Gwion Edwards is still available as back-up on the wings.

A few more freebies with EFL experience still available*:
FORWARDS -
Brandon Barker
Robert Snodgrass
Rolando Aarons
Sammy Ameobi
Reo Griffiths
MIDFIELDERS -
Matty Longstaff
Luke Amos
Josh Morris
Kevin Stewart
DEFENDERS -
Jack Simpson
Steven Caulker
Danny Rose
Liam Moore

*Not necessarily suggesting any of the above players for us*

Some 'interesting' options I wouldn't turn my nose up at...

Ronan Curtis - We all know him, most of us don't like him, but no doubt he can be a good player at L1 level.

Gary Madine - 8 goals and assists in the Championship last season (almost as many as Harris had in the Championship his entire career before he joined...). Wouldn't necessarily be a starter but would be a good replacement for O'Donkor should he go on loan. Good hold up play - may allow our wingers & Rodrigues/Bodin to play off him.

Josh Onomah - Still only 26, played over 100 games in the Championship. Can play as a holding or forward thinking midfielder. Very good option in case of McGuane or Brannagam injury/suspension, or to just play alongside them

There's always going to be a Danny Rose available. Every 5th footballer is called Danny Rose.

Caught the 2nd half of Bath v Yeovil.last night
0:1 att 3639
Local lad Jordan Thomas had a very good game, crowd were cheering every time he roasted the left back.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not being looked at by someone.
Wasn't he at Didcot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom