• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevens
Forde Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Brannagan Lee
Barker Taylor Shodipo

I say get at them early on! With that 11, we have more than enough to put them away in the first hour. We have started slow in the last 3 games and we cannot keep chasing games, in a hope of getting a result. We need to be clinical in front of goal and we need to start with our best 11. No more passengers. This is the business end of the season!

Ipswich are there for the taking and with their best player out on Saturday, this really is a chance to make another statement!

If Henry starts, I’m convinced he’s shagging Robinson.
That’s the team for me. I think KR feels it’s too attacking, but why not attack teams. We have the ability to score goals, let’s go out and do it.

I think Ipswich would probably take a draw, and that wouldn't be the worse result for us either. So it has the potential to be a fair dull game, but I'm not sure Robinson will settle for that. I think Robinson was a bit pissed with Henry and can see Lee starting is his place, but this may be on the right of the front three. I know that Kelly gets a bad press, but I still think he offers more stability in the middle which allows Gorrin more space to sweep up around him. Barker will likely start on the left, with Shodipo switching on the hour, and Winnall may give Matty a break upfront. Robinson often looks at paired games for selection and we'll likely see the front three switching for Pompey on Tuesday.

Ipswich
Stevens
Forde Atkinson Moore Ruffels
Brannagan Gorrin Kelly
Lee Winnall Barker

Pompey
Stevens
Long Atkinson Moore Ruffels
Lee Gorrin Brannagan
Sykes Taylor Shodipo

That’s the team for me. I think KR feels it’s too attacking, but why not attack teams. We have the ability to score goals, let’s go out and do it.
You’re absolutely right. I don’t understand this ‘too attacking’ point of view. We have attacking players. The point of the sport is to win. You can only do that by attacking. If we sit back, we invite pressure and naturally, over time, we are likely to concede goals. We can’t keep coming back from 1-0 down to rescue games. Against the better teams in this division, that just won’t happen!

You’re absolutely right. I don’t understand this ‘too attacking’ point of view. We have attacking players. The point of the sport is to win. You can only do that by attacking. If we sit back, we invite pressure and naturally, over time, we are likely to concede goals. We can’t keep coming back from 1-0 down to rescue games. Against the better teams in this division, that just won’t happen!

Agree. Karl has to accommodate his mate Henry though. So on that basis we will go 1-0 down and score a late equaliser. 1-1 is my prediction.

Agree. Karl has to accommodate his mate Henry though. So on that basis we will go 1-0 down and score a late equaliser. 1-1 is my prediction.
I’ve said this more than I care to count but based on form, James Henry cannot start on Saturday. If he cannot get into the game against a team from the league below, I don’t trust him to turn it on against a team like Ipswich. The sooner Maguane is back, the better..

Henry's his mate now?

I remember when he hated him because he didn't sign him.

Why else would he keep picking him? You pick the team on form, not what they have done in the past.

For me this is the big one. Win this one and we don't need a win against Portsmouth, who are going to be up there for the remainder of the season.

They don't score many goals. We do. Fingers crossed.

• React
Reactions: m
Do you seriously think that any manager picks a player because they are 'mates'?
Managers are judged on results and so really really want to win!

I was being sarcastic. But you must ask yourself why does he keep picking Henry? Also why did he keep picking calamity Eastwood?

Robinson’s always been pretty loyal to players in a way that Wilder for example, wasn’t always. Think it’s a good thing overall - he stuck with Ruffels, Long, even Dickie, through dodgy spells and it’s paid off in the end.

Robinson’s always been pretty loyal to players in a way that Wilder for example, wasn’t always. Think it’s a good thing overall - he stuck with Ruffels, Long, even Dickie, through dodgy spells and it’s paid off in the end.
I don't think Robinson is any more or less loyal to players than Wilder was (or indeed any manager is), and there is a long, long line of buses that he has thrown players under in public.

Im sure Dan Agyei will agree :sneaky:

Very winnable, Ipswich‘s form is average at best and we are still the form team in this league. We’re creating chances and if we start an attacking line up that shows a positive reaction from Tuesday we should win. I’d back Taylor to put Tuesday behind him.

I was being sarcastic. But you must ask yourself why does he keep picking Henry? Also why did he keep picking calamity Eastwood?
There are a whole range of reasons.
We know that Henry is very capable of being one of the best players in the Division. For 2 years he was generally exceptional.
So my assumption is that the coaching staff have been trying to get him back to his best. Maybe from a man management perspective, they think that dropping him won't give them the best chance?
I suspect that he is near the end and also that he is unlikely to get a new contract.
Doesn't mean that he is picked because KR likes him and they are mates though.

There are a whole range of reasons.
We know that Henry is very capable of being one of the best players in the Division. For 2 years he was generally exceptional.
So my assumption is that the coaching staff have been trying to get him back to his best. Maybe from a man management perspective, they think that dropping him won't give them the best chance?
I suspect that he is near the end and also that he is unlikely to get a new contract.
Doesn't mean that he is picked because KR likes him and they are mates though.
JH is a funny one , he is only 31 , his game has never been based on pace , while you would think performance would drop of a bit from being our playmaker and creating chances/ scoring a decent amount he seems to be struggling so much...wonder whether his injuries have been worse than realised ?

And to think, this time last year I was there standing amongst thousands of fans cheering a Matty Taylor winning goal. How times have changed 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom