Away Match Day Thread 20/02/2021 L1 Ipswich Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never realised Ipswich were nicknamed The Tractor Boys because they play on a ploughed field. Portman Road really was in an appalling state.

You want to take a look at the Peterborough pitch at London Road. Looks like a Massey Ferguson has gone over it with a cultivator.

You want to take a look at the Peterborough pitch at London Road. Looks like a Massey Ferguson has gone over it with a cultivator.

Ours has hardly played brilliantly either lately. I don't think the weather conditions have been great for the pitches for a while. It has been very wet (well seems it anyway as the Thames has been high for weeks) since late(ish) last year. The team will have to find a way to play in such conditions as it is affecting most teams* I reckon.

*Northampton was self inflicted though with Keith Curle insisting on training on a waterlogged, already wrecked pitch.

its been brutal. Finally got power back but still no clean water. We were sat in -18 in the dark with no water no power no communication for three days. Proper rough.

Crikey. Sounds like being in the Kassam Stadium!

In all seriousness though, that sounds terrible. Hope you and the family managed to cope and things are back on the mend.

Ours has hardly played brilliantly either lately. I don't think the weather conditions have been great for the pitches for a while. It has been very wet (well seems it anyway as the Thames has been high for weeks) since late(ish) last year. The team will have to find a way to play in such conditions as it is affecting most teams* I reckon.

*Northampton was self inflicted though with Keith Curle insisting on training on a waterlogged, already wrecked pitch.

I agree a lot of pitches around the football league have suffered, and the groundsmen have a lot to deal with, and it is hard work keeping a pitch in good order.

The part I always find amusing when attending a match is that it’s raining, and they sprinkle the pitch. I’m think it has enough water on it already 😂

Crikey. Sounds like being in the Kassam Stadium!

In all seriousness though, that sounds terrible. Hope you and the family managed to cope and things are back on the mend.

Thank you buddy. Yes we are all fine although it’s looking like the death toll is starting to come through and will be quite high. Some very sad stories of people (including kids) freezing to death in their homes.

People were so desperate there was something like 300 carbon monoxide related hospital admissions in the first 24 hours.

Part of it was fun for the kiddos though...having the labradors in the bed to help create some warmth and boiling snow with the camping gear.

Thank you buddy. Yes we are all fine although it’s looking like the death toll is starting to come through and will be quite high. Some very sad stories of people (including kids) freezing to death in their homes.

People were so desperate there was something like 300 carbon monoxide related hospital admissions in the first 24 hours.

Part of it was fun for the kiddos though...having the labradors in the bed to help create some warmth and boiling snow with the camping gear.

Do you think Texas will look to join the national grid (for want of better wording) or stick to a separate system?

Do you think Texas will look to join the national grid (for want of better wording) or stick to a separate system?
Nope. Texas is a very independent state and benefits in other ways from the deregulated nature with very cheap energy prices. It’s also the word energy capital.

But they underinvested in winterizing because they simply didn’t think they’d hit a 100 year event like this. It’s really well set up to cope with the high energy needs and impact of 45 c heat, but not -18 c cold.

A perfect storm literally started knocking over substations which then created a domino effect as the ones not knocked out by the ice storm got overwhelmed. This was exacerbated by the significant investment in green energy and the freezing of the wind turbines thereby adding more pressure on the system. (Solar surprisingly held up well).

Nope. Texas is a very independent state and benefits in other ways from the deregulated nature with very cheap energy prices. It’s also the word energy capital.

But they underinvested in winterizing because they simply didn’t think they’d hit a 100 year event like this. It’s really well set up to cope with the high energy needs and impact of 45 c heat, but not -18 c cold.

A perfect storm literally started knocking over substations which then created a domino effect as the ones not knocked out by the ice storm got overwhelmed. This was exacerbated by the significant investment in green energy and the freezing of the wind turbines thereby adding more pressure on the system. (Solar surprisingly held up well).

Wasn't the biggest loss of % of supply from Gas (the biggest energy generation source)? Nuclear was also down as well. Whilst the fall in wind energy had an impact, it wasn't close to the energy loss of Gas and Nuclear combined so I thought blaming green energy has been debunked.

Edit: Answered my own question. Gas/Coal/Nuclear lost twice (give or take) the supply as Wind energy:

Wasn't the biggest loss of % of supply from Gas (the biggest energy generation source)? Nuclear was also down as well. Whilst the fall in wind energy had an impact, it wasn't close to the energy loss of Gas and Nuclear combined so I thought blaming green energy has been debunked.

Edit: Answered my own question. Gas/Coal/Nuclear lost twice (give or take) the supply as Wind energy:

I think the reality is somewhere in the middle. This wasn’t the fault of wind power but neither is it coming out looking as Rosie as the BBC make out. They’ve gone on pure volume rather than percentage when it was only 20% of overall net contribution. The point being it’s not wholly to blame but it exacerbated the situation. By failing, it heaped pressure on the legacy supply which couldn’t handle the overload. Had we been 100% reliant on turbine this situation would have been far more serious. The blend of energy solutions is our reality for the time being and that may not be a bad thing as the industry works out its risk matrix. I’m an advocate of green energy but it’s still a very immature industry when scaled up, and making a profit from it is not proving easy

(On a sidenote a huge number of people used their cars to stay warm in the critical 72 hour period, something that they might not have been able to do with electric)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom