Current Player #2 Sam Long

If JR can get a Championship contract from Millwall, he should bite their hands off; I wouldn't want Oxford to give him one.

Good L1 LB. No shame in that.

If JR can get a Championship contract from Millwall, he should bite their hands off; I wouldn't want Oxford to give him one.

Good L1 LB. No shame in that.
I hold out hope that he’ll stay. It’ll all come down to who actually puts a contract under his nose and what he wants from this chapter of his career. He’s 27 now - 28 in October. He’s getting to the point where clubs won’t pay a fee for him, so his best chance of a good move is on a free before he gets any older. He needs to decide if he wants to try his luck elsewhere while he can or if he wants to be someone who gets a testimonial here. That’s the territory he’s in now. Even a new 2-year deal and he’s practically 30 by the end of it, let alone a longer one where he passes that milestone. If he’s going to leave Oxford then this is his moment.

It was definitely interesting listening to Robinson’s comments on the fans forum on Thursday. “I want him to stay but it’s up to him to want the same” was very much the message.

I hold out hope that he’ll stay. It’ll all come down to who actually puts a contract under his nose and what he wants from this chapter of his career. He’s 27 now - 28 in October. He’s getting to the point where clubs won’t pay a fee for him, so his best chance of a good move is on a free before he gets any older. He needs to decide if he wants to try his luck elsewhere while he can or if he wants to be someone who gets a testimonial here. That’s the territory he’s in now. Even a new 2-year deal and he’s practically 30 by the end of it, let alone a longer one where he passes that milestone. If he’s going to leave Oxford then this is his moment.

It was definitely interesting listening to Robinson’s comments on the fans forum on Thursday. “I want him to stay but it’s up to him to want the same” was very much the message.
I hope we don’t lose him by offering a measly contract. Presumably we offered Sam a big improvement and he should get similar. However as you say he might want to see if he can go further at a bigger club.

Really hope he doesn't go , I'd love to keep hold of this back 5 with a couple of cover players to push them.
We have a few gaps to fill in midfield and dont want to end up having to chase 4 or 5 positions if possible.

I’m not his greatest fan, but I’m really happy for Sam, especially as he’s been an exemplary servant for the club.

Great news, and well deserved.

He’s improved a huge amount in the last 2 seasons, becoming one of the most important players in the squad, and can play in any position across the back line, so a no brainier really.

Player of the season for me, and an example to all the younger players coming through, and any new signings coming in.

Well done Sam 👏

Sam Long is a lesson to every kid coming through our academy.

However much natural talent you have (and Sam is probably middle of the pack in that regard), you've got to control what you can control. Work hard and get as fit as you can (and I doubt there's too many players in the division fitter than him) and your opportunities will come.

Really excited to have him signed on for the next three years. He's my Player of the Season as well, and we look a different team when he's playing well......

Sam has bided his time well been with the club since he was 7 and he could have dropped a division or 2 to get regular game time to see if he could get move higher, but no he stayed and was patient, good on him.

Player of the season.

Hopefully be given the number 2 shirt in the summer as our first choice right back

Lofthouse continuing to impress at right back for Woking will hopefully be cover and challenge him & given cup games to impress.

2 of our very own.

Player of the season.

Hopefully be given the number 2 shirt in the summer as our first choice right back

Lofthouse continuing to impress at right back for Woking will hopefully be cover and challenge him & given cup games to impress.

2 of our very own.
Lofthouse started at right back but hasn't played there for a while.
In the last few games he has played in Centre Midfield. He has played in numerous positions.
In some ways it is a shame that he hasn't just played at right back as then, as you suggest he may have been good back up to Long

Lofthouse started at right back but hasn't played there for a while.
In the last few games he has played in Centre Midfield. He has played in numerous positions.
In some ways it is a shame that he hasn't just played at right back as then, as you suggest he may have been good back up to Long

Tbf, KR & co will know of his capabilities at right back as he has played there, amongst other positions, throughout his time in the Academy. He is playing NL football and learning "men's" football rather than Academy/u21s football which is what they'll want and whilst it would be ideal if he played right back it isn't that bad that he isn't imo.

Tbf, KR & co will know of his capabilities at right back as he has played there, amongst other positions, throughout his time in the Academy. He is playing NL football and learning "men's" football rather than Academy/u21s football which is what they'll want and whilst it would be ideal if he played right back it isn't that bad that he isn't imo.
I don't think that it is bad by any means.
I just think if we are looking for a serious right back cover for Long, would it be Lofthouse. Clare similarly had played right back at Hibs and I think Gillingham, but has been deemed not good enough to be a right back here
Lofthouse, like Clare seems to have gravitated to central midfield.
I guess it is a matter of whether KR gets out and out right backs/ left backs in as cover or whether he uses more utility like players

Longs improvement this season has been remarkable (if I wasn’t an Oxford fan I would be demanding he was drug tested). He looked decent second half of last season but has really pushed on and improved both his defending, he had problems against a few wingers last season but much less so this and massively improved his attacking play to a stage where I am close to calling him the league one Cafu.

If there was a most improved player at league one level award I reckon Long would have a good shout, really earned the new contract.

Have to give a lot of credit to Sam Long, 18 months ago i thought he was a bog standard L1 plodder, he continues
to surprise me and in a very good way, the new contract is well deserved for a fantastic effort.

If we are in L1 next season i would be quite happy with Forde being back up to Long and maybe Lofthouse as 3rd choice ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom