General Sam Long

Sarge

God like member
Contact extended 12 months.....https://www.facebook.com/197976068046/posts/10158240191258047/

Most underrated player in this squad. I really do believe if he hadn't got sent off against Bristol Rovers 2 seasons ago he would have been first choice Right Back along time ago. Unlike Hanson he keeps it simple and doesn't panic in a tough situation.

Deserves this 100%

From what I read he is an ultimate professional. He plays where he is asked to play, always ours in 100% and trains very well.
He has had a lot of bad luck with injuries.
It was good last Saturday to see Long and Ruffels at full back all of the managers seem to have rated Long. He deserves some luck.

Got to 'declare ' a vested interest where Sam Long is concerned.....many years ago my youngest daughter (when she lived in bicester-she's lived in northern Ireland for a few years now) , used to babysit a then young Sam Long .... I have to keep her (& my 2 grandsons) updated with Sam's OUFC exploits (Whyte n Sykes too for me grandsons at school in N I too)

This is the first year that it's felt like he's been injury free. But for his injuries he probably would have established himself by now. He's done well to remain at the club and has every chance now of kicking on. Would like to see what kind of player he'd develop into if he played regularly.

Possible unpopular opinion time.

I’m surprised at this and can only presume Sam Long is on lowish wages with us. For me, he would have been earmarked for being released come the season’s end.

Considering he’s been here for so long and has had some stinkers with injuries, he’s now played under five permanent managers and a number of caretakers but has never really pushed his way into a starting line up for an extended period of time. Managers sing his praises and I have little doubt he’s totally professional, but at 24 we need to start seeing improvement from him. A dozen appearances a season isn’t enough for me and he’s only appeared 40 times for the first team in six years. That needs to improve.

Maybe the ugly games like we had against Blackpool are his forte? Whatever the case, I hope to see it in his extended spell with us.

Possible unpopular opinion time.

I’m surprised at this and can only presume Sam Long is on lowish wages with us. For me, he would have been earmarked for being released come the season’s end.

Considering he’s been here for so long and has had some stinkers with injuries, he’s now played under five permanent managers and a number of caretakers but has never really pushed his way into a starting line up for an extended period of time. Managers sing his praises and I have little doubt he’s totally professional, but at 24 we need to start seeing improvement from him. A dozen appearances a season isn’t enough for me and he’s only appeared 40 times for the first team in six years. That needs to improve.

Maybe the ugly games like we had against Blackpool are his forte? Whatever the case, I hope to see it in his extended spell with us.

Five managers who've seen something in him. I can't really comment on the lad because I've not really seen him play (apart from in that sending-off v Bristol Rovers). I think he probably is on low wages, but to survive at this club for so long when so many 'promising' young players have come and gone speaks volumes. Plus he's a local lad who loves the club, passion like that spreads around the dressing room.

I’m pleased for him, think he’s worth a run in the team over Hansen who always looks like he’s one reckless challenge away from a card. I think Hansen gets put there because he’s got to be playing because he’s our record signing so we decide he’s suddenly a full back. Same thing with Garbutt.

I’m pleased for him, think he’s worth a run in the team over Hansen who always looks like he’s one reckless challenge away from a card. I think Hansen gets put there because he’s got to be playing because he’s our record signing so we decide he’s suddenly a full back. Same thing with Garbutt.
Hanson has just been dropped for Long and Garbutt has been left out for Ruffels for most if the season so I'm not quite sure what you are saying?
Garbutt played Saturday as Browne and Whyte were injured and to be fair he was very good

I think he could hang on to be the next Josh Ruffles. Long term investment. Good luck Sam

Back
Top Bottom