Sam Long

Alex Jeanin has to have his day in the sun first. And Mattie Day to block it out. /snigger

Emiliano Dìaz has to be up there being he looked and played like a mascot/prize winner.

Odd how a thread on Long has developed into references to Emiliano Diaz and Steve Anthrobus!

Anywho - I've written Sam Long off a few times on here and he's always come back to prove me wrong. He's having the best run in the side since his breakthrough to the senior side and is now looking like our most comfortable RB we've had all season.

I've said in another thread on him that we need to have a development plan for him. At his age and with our current position, we can't have him popping up season after season, making a dozen appearances or so and then playing development games to fill the time. He has to become a first team regular and make the most of his abilities. The person he can learn from the most (and someone he had similar utility man credentials to) is Josh Ruffels. Make the utility man tag your strength - 'I can be your CB/RB option'. Make the most of your chances in the side and develop as a player.

He's made 45 appearances in his Oxford United career to date. I would like to see him make that number in a successful season for us to show that he's capable of necessary improvement as a player.

The last week has shown that no only is Sam a very good player, his versatility and attitude has also been first class. His value to the squad must be worth us looking to extend his contract for a couple of years rather than the year long deals he's had recently?
If we don’t, he should probably go and be captain of Cheltenham or similar, he deserves a proper contract

Player of the month for October! I know it was a bad month, but credit where its due, Sam has really stood up to the battle. He and Moore have looked much more comfortable in the last couple of weeks and both have grown in confidence. He's not a natural centre back, and I'd rather see him at right back, but no one can fault his effort and commitment to our club.

Well done Sam.

Long looks more like a centre half than a full back to me. Very composed and reads the game well.

Player of the month for October! I know it was a bad month, but credit where its due, Sam has really stood up to the battle. He and Moore have looked much more comfortable in the last couple of weeks and both have grown in confidence. He's not a natural centre back, and I'd rather see him at right back, but no one can fault his effort and commitment to our club.

Well done Sam.
You do know that he came all the way through the age groups up to the first team as a centre back? I watched him on many occasions as a youth player developing.

You do know that he came all the way through the age groups up to the first team as a centre back? I watched him on many occasions as a youth player developing.

Yes I'm aware of that. But at youth level many players are a similar size, now I feel that at 5'10 he's a bit too short to play regularly at centre back, and can also get outmuscled. Sam reads the game well, and is better in the air than his height suggests, but he will struggle against some big forward lines.

Well done Sam.

giphy.gif

What has happened to Sam Long?
Always a ferocious competitor and solid defender ( and versatile along the back).
But now a flying full back, making goal after goal and scoring one of the best goals from a right back in years.
Great to see. I remember seeing him get a nasty injury at Sheffield Wednesday a few years ago. I wondered whether he would make it back.
Amazing Improvement this season in an attacking sense.

Back
Top Bottom