General Sam Long

I’m pleased for him, think he’s worth a run in the team over Hansen who always looks like he’s one reckless challenge away from a card. I think Hansen gets put there because he’s got to be playing because he’s our record signing so we decide he’s suddenly a full back. Same thing with Garbutt.

Hanson gets put at right back because that’s where he prefers to play and spoke to staff to ask them to play him there.

I think Long deserves to keep his place at RB for the next game at least. Maybe he just needs a run of games to make the position his own? I’ve not seen much of him but I think he also plays CB so I assume he’s not the type of fullback who’s going to bomb on the overlap and get crosses in? I think a good solid no-nonsense fullback whos primary asset is defending is what’s required until the end of the season though.

As for Garbutt, it will be interesting if he finds his feet in a position further up the pitch. His header against Accrington was really impressive but got ‘lost’ in the awful team performance and result. One thing I’ll say, I’m impressed with his strength of character, he’s not had a great season by any stretch of the imagination but he’s never gone into hiding or shirked responsibility. Another quality we’re going to need to see from the players if we’re going to pull away from the drop zone.

Five managers who've seen something in him. I can't really comment on the lad because I've not really seen him play (apart from in that sending-off v Bristol Rovers). I think he probably is on low wages, but to survive at this club for so long when so many 'promising' young players have come and gone speaks volumes. Plus he's a local lad who loves the club, passion like that spreads around the dressing room.

Can’t argue with that. A lot of managers have praised him.

As I said, development and improvement is needed now. Blackpool sounded like a good performance from him and I hope it can be a springboard. He can’t have a career from sporadic good performances only to drop back to the bench again.

Rejected the original offer before Christmas and was looking at alternative options for regular football. Funny how football can change so quickly.

Rejected the original offer before Christmas and was looking at alternative options for regular football. Funny how football can change so quickly.
That’s interesting. I’m sure he could go and be captain at FGR or Orient and that might have been tempting

Sam Long is on a low wage and would almost certainly get paid more if he moved on, even if he meant dropping down a league or 2. But I think he knows that with a decent run of games he is good enough to hold down a permanent place in the team and has a point to prove. He has rarely let the team down and more than held his own against Man City only a few months ago.

Delighted for Sam - always felt he has done a job for us when playing and surprised he doesn’t get picked more. Also think we have discovered Garbutt’s position - not good enough defensively for left back but has looked a real threat in a more attacking position.

would've been good if we were nearly at the magic 50 points with nothing to play for then give Long and some of the youngsters a good run of game time. would be like starting pre season early and a chance to have good look at what we've got in competitive games other than the u23s

would've been good if we were nearly at the magic 50 points with nothing to play for then give Long and some of the youngsters a good run of game time. would be like starting pre season early and a chance to have good look at what we've got in competitive games other than the u23s
If only

Back
Top Bottom