Current Player #16 Tyler Burey

The person who made that call was Manning. He decided it wasn’t working well enough for him -and did everything he could to make life as difficult as possible for his successor.

And I don’t know how you try and find a manager who works just like the guy who has not just left you in the lurch but taken His entire team with him.
See my point re a striker leaving. You try to sign a player who is similar in style to the one who has scored loads of goals before shafting you and sneaking off to another club. If they’re a Matty Taylor style poacher and you replace him with a new striker who is a hold-up merchant, and who doesn’t remotely play inside the penalty box, that’s on whoever made the call to sign a player who doesn’t fit the system. Of course any player coming in won’t be exactly the same as the old guy, but they should want to try to get into similar positions and play a similar way. The rest of the team shouldn’t have to completely change the way it plays to accommodate one new guy when they’re practically top of the league. Who would do that?

The idea that nobody was available who would have a similar approach, or was happy to work with the majority of recruitment plans that had been painstakingly put in place all year, seems pretty fanciful to me. I don’t think for a second that the board managed to attract 100 applicants who all wanted to throw the club’s plans in the bin. And if they somehow did, it would be pretty weird to pick what they believe to be the best candidate, who is also the most expensive, and then leave them working with a patchwork quilt staff for months on end when they should be focusing on implementing their ideas. Which were presumably so fantastic and impressive that they were worth changing literally the entire company’s plans for.

I’ve got no beef with Buckingham doing things his way, just as I’d have no beef with a target man trying to play like a target man, even if we weren’t remotely set up to play with one. That’s what they do - that’s their thing. I would, however, look at the people responsible for signing them and go, “What the f**k did you do that for?”

Well if Des did rip it all and up and start again he’s a prize mug for doing that mid season when he looked at the players, he had ample time to realise he didn’t have the right players to suit a different style. Therefore adaptability might not be his strong point then.

He didn’t rip it up and start again . He tried -at the beginning anyway- to play with the team and formation that Manning had- but unfortunately key players -like Greg Leigh- were injured and we lost Beadle and Mills.
And in my opinion Mills HAS been a big miss. I firmly believe that we will miss out on play-offs and look to the summer break to regroup and in the words of Darrem Patterson "go again" Or will it be typical Oxford make the play offs and get promoted. Who knows/

As mentioned, Greg Leigh wasn't dropped because Buckingham didn't want wing backs. He was out injured and we had the option of moving Brown/Thorniley across or finding a replacement. Bennett arrived and has never let us down.

Manning would have also faced problems without Leigh as we had no natural alternatives other than Murphy perhaps playing deeper.

I don't disregard the need for a DoF, or the need to have a longer term vision of where we wanted to develop on the pitch, but neither were in place, and Manning jumping ship undid a lot of the work that had taken place from the summer.

It's almost impossible to unite all views on here, but the one that we did have was that it would take a number of transfer windows to rebuild the club. Nothing has changed in that regard, but an enforced management change has made that much harder, and would have done no matter who came in.

He didn’t rip it up and start again . He tried -at the beginning anyway- to play with the team and formation that Manning had- but unfortunately key players -like Greg Leigh- were injured and we lost Beadle and Mills.
We lost Beadle and Mills in early-mid January. It was after Reading, his 4th league game in charge with no wins, that he stated it was time to do it his way. So unless that was a lie, it wasn’t induced by those players exiting, it happened long before and that isn’t me panning him since he won 3 of the subsequent 5 games. It’s just not true what you say.

Bennett is also not exactly the archetype ‘stay at home’ full back - that’s something I’d say Brown was when he played there. He has a fantastic appetite to get up the field and a great left foot. So if even temporary, he could’ve carried on with forward thinking full backs.

Feels like we’re really reaching here. It just hasn’t worked. His way either isn’t good or is not being adopted comfortably by the players he has. Either way it’s a mess and both the decision to appoint him and his inability to adapt/tailor a system to the players since are up for intense scrutiny,

We lost Beadle and Mills in early-mid January. It was after Reading, his 4th league game in charge with no wins, that he stated it was time to do it his way. So unless that was a lie, it wasn’t induced by those players exiting, it happened long before and that isn’t me panning him since he won 3 of the subsequent 5 games. It’s just not true what you say.

Bennett is also not exactly the archetype ‘stay at home’ full back - that’s something I’d say Brown was when he played there. He has a fantastic appetite to get up the field and a great left foot. So if even temporary, he could’ve carried on with forward thinking full backs.

Feels like we’re really reaching here. It just hasn’t worked. His way either isn’t good or is not being adopted comfortably by the players he has. Either way it’s a mess and both the decision to appoint him and his inability to adapt/tailor a system to the players since are up for intense scrutiny,
he always knew that Beadle was going though didn't he? And Beadle is a much better keeper than his replacement.

he always knew that Beadle was going though didn't he?
I don’t know, you’d have to ask him. But if he did, he would’ve known Cumming (or similar) was on his way who is more than competent with his short distribution meaning no need for a radical change in style. Or looking at it another way, he was going to get a chance to get a keeper of his choosing in so it’s hardly a major negative.

M
I don’t know, you’d have to ask him. But if he did, he would’ve known Cumming (or similar) was on his way who is more than competent with his short distribution meaning no need for a radical change in style. Or looking at it another way, he was going to get a chance to get a keeper of his choosing in so it’s hardly a major negative.
You don't really think that Cumming the keeper who used to play at Milton Keynes with Liam Manning was a player of Buckingham's choosing do you?

Which keeper do you think is better, Cumming or Beadle?

M

You don't really think that Cumming the keeper who used to play at Milton Keynes with Liam Manning was a player of Buckingham's choosing do you?

Which keeper do you think is better, Cumming or Beadle?
No I don’t think the idea of his signing originated from Buckingham. He can be excused for sketchy knowledge of EFL players as he’s been overseas. But he needed a goalkeeper quickly that filled a certain criteria and presumably he was already well on the club’s radar. So my best guess at what happened is Waldron and Price said “we don’t have time to research someone from scratch but we know this lad very well and he’s available now. He was one we had picked for Manning but does most of the things you were looking for. He’s risk free on a loan where we retain control over the decision in the summer depending how he does. shall we pull the trigger?” and Des will have been complicit for him to be here otherwise he wouldn’t be, surely.

Beadle is the better goalkeeper. It’s a non-contest. He’s universally better for any type of team where I think Cumming is more limited - but not poor.

No I don’t think the idea of his signing originated from Buckingham. He can be excused for sketchy knowledge of EFL players as he’s been overseas. But he needed a goalkeeper quickly that filled a certain criteria and presumably he was already well on the club’s radar. So my best guess at what happened is Waldron and Price said “we don’t have time to research someone from scratch but we know this lad very well and he’s available now. He was one we had picked for Manning but does most of the things you were looking for. He’s risk free on a loan where we retain control over the decision in the summer depending how he does. shall we pull the trigger?” and Des will have been complicit for him to be here otherwise he wouldn’t be, surely.

Beadle is the better goalkeeper. It’s a non-contest. He’s universally better for any type of team where I think Cumming is more limited - but not poor.
I guess Des would have said „what are the alternatives?“ and Waldron and Price would have said „Eastwood“

not many keepers move in January-it takes a long time for a keeper to build a rapport with a defence and you don’t want them doing that from scratch halfway through the season

Back
Top Bottom