Home Match Day Thread 16/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Plymouth Argyle

Also, slight bugbear: the challenge on Whyte first half. That challenge, anywhere else on the pitch, is a yellow. Dangerous and reckless. But equally, Whyte looked through - so it should also have been a yellow for cynically stopping a counterattack. I know you never see them given as reds, but it feels like a real loophole in the laws that one challenge can’t receive two bookings for two separate reasons.

We had a great attacking team on paper but it was poor defending for the first two goals. The second was well placed but Stevens was flat footed. Well done Plymouth for exploiting our weaknesses, they were a tidy, well drilled team, but nothing more, there will be better teams in our league this season.
Shooting practice from now until Tuesday please.

I thought we more than matched them for large parts of the game, but they had quality when and where it mattered and that was the difference.

No shame in losing to that team.

Up the U's!

Quality side that defend and counter very well are Plymouth, and they put away 3 of thier 5 chances

How many chances did we create? Yet just 1 goal to show for it

Playing to narrow against competent wingers does not work. The amount of times they tore Sam long was terrible as much as I like Sam Long he should have been subbed for Forde. They were catching us out down the wing with Garrin cutting inside and going for the return pass near the byline and then hen skimming his way in the box and getting a cross off. When we did get down the line toward their byline the cross was in no one on the end of it.
We went a goal up they changed their system and pressed high and we never cope against a team that press high. We have to adapt and change but we don’t.
Plymouth did play out from defence a few times one pass from the keeper the receiving player one pass to another defender/midfield ls and 8 Rhine’s out of 10 the next pass to their player is received in our half we play out from defence and god knows how many passes but a couple of minutes later we still have it in our defence. Now if we went long from a kick out more often we may score more.
We may have played ok but we have to up our game if we want to be challenging at the end of the season.

Should have put forde on the right wing not Sykes . Completely stopped our attack and Sykes does not get stuck in I won't be upset when Sykes moves on he's not good enough at this level. Where was Williams he's a much better player. Roll on Wednesday 3-0

Should have put forde on the right wing not Sykes . Completely stopped our attack and Sykes does not get stuck in I won't be upset when Sykes moves on he's not good enough at this level. Where was Williams he's a much better player. Roll on Wednesday 3-0
Maybe Tuesday

Hopefully we've got the team just nor enough goals from different players like last year . You look at most teams we turn out you look and go that looks good. But the old saying looks good on paper but not grass.

I think we've got some incredible players in this squad, but it's up to the management to use them in the right way.

Good coach but poor manager

We've got a great record of taking the lead in games, so why are we throwing so many of those points away?
Why would we bring in Whyte as a marquee signing only to never play him on the right wing?
Why was Sykes brought on for Whyte when he was having his best spell of the game?
Why were Kane and Brannagan, two similar players, selected together against a top-of-the-league side, with Gorrin left on the bench?
What's being done to rectify our consistent profligacy in front of goal?

These aren't isolated mistakes either, they're trends that have emerged over the course of the season, and if they're not fixed you can wave goodbye to reaching the play-off places this season.

We don’t put our chances away and we give soft goals away at the moment, we are not a bad team but we are also not a clinical team at the moment, unless that changes it’s a mid table season.

Seen us come good later on in the last few seasons so you can’t write this one off yet but equally we have those two big problems to solve to have any chance.

So don’t know how my comment got put into this post.
But to repeat we have a good coach but poor manager,
to compete or win against the better teams at this standard you need forwards who are wanted by championship sides, not ones their happy to let go.

So don’t know how my comment got put into this post.
But to repeat we have a good coach but poor manager,
to compete or win against the better teams at this standard you need forwards who are wanted by championship sides, not ones their happy to let go.
Which current league one strikers were wanted by Championship sides?

Yes they had some good players, but so do we. Taylor can’t do it alone but Dan is not the man to help, after Stevenage I have given up on him. Holland shows flashes of brilliance but not enough, Long was left out to dry today, they took there chances and we didn’t simple as that, onwards and upwards we go.

Back
Top Bottom