Home Match Day Thread 16/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Plymouth Argyle

Yep fair play to Argyle. No beef with them! Great support, and done the business on the pitch.

Anyone who thinks KR will get us out of this league is deluded.

The best we can hope for is playoffs. There are always four to five teams better than us and Plymouth look to be one of them at this point this season. I’ll make the point again that I’ve made repeatedly about KR. We know he’s a good manager. He needs to prove he’s great to get us up and I just don’t think he has that x-factor.
Dans got 9 minutes!

Nine minutes or 90, Agyei is as Agyei does. Two bits of commentary summed him up from Jerome.

‘Taylor was being marked by two and Agyei wasn’t in the right place’

‘Ball into Agyei whose first touch is a poor one’

I’ve seen enough from him to know that he hasn’t developed into the player we thought he has the potential to be. It’s a cheerio from me for January.

It was a great game to watch. I am disappointed, but how could you not enjoy the way we played in the second half. Some beautiful football at times. Was very frustrating that our crosses were always too far ahead of our last man. Fair play to Plymouth too- a good set of fans and they will enjoy their long journey home.

It will come together for us and we will be there or there abouts by the end of the season.

I don't think we were awful today - mainly just really wasteful in the final third as bloody usual. Plymouth were very good IMO, defended well and counter attacked clinically. Keep that level of performance up and they'll be up there end of the season. Henry could - maybe should - have scored a couple, and a Taylor a couple years younger gets on the end of a couple of those low drives in front of the keeper.

I think we'll be in a similar position in the latter half of this season as last season - still not out of it but need a chunk of luck to get the playoffs. Will we get the luck this time? Maybe not. I think we need to prioritise a striker in January and - I can't believe I'm saying this - another winger who can score goals. That's where our big issue is this season IMO - Taylor has the weight of the entire club on his shoulders in terms of goals scored because there is just not enough goals coming from the rest of the team.

We seem to have gone from an incredible team to absolutely useless in 90 mins according to some!

And to think that we laugh at the insanity on the forums of other teams!!
I think we've got some incredible players in this squad, but it's up to the management to use them in the right way.

We've got a great record of taking the lead in games, so why are we throwing so many of those points away?
Why would we bring in Whyte as a marquee signing only to never play him on the right wing?
Why was Sykes brought on for Whyte when he was having his best spell of the game?
Why were Kane and Brannagan, two similar players, selected together against a top-of-the-league side, with Gorrin left on the bench?
What's being done to rectify our consistent profligacy in front of goal?

These aren't isolated mistakes either, they're trends that have emerged over the course of the season, and if they're not fixed you can wave goodbye to reaching the play-off places this season.

It was a great game to watch. I am disappointed, but how could you not enjoy the way we played in the second half. Some beautiful football at times. Was very frustrating that our crosses were always too far ahead of our last man. Fair play to Plymouth too- a good set of fans and they will enjoy their long journey home.

It will come together for us and we will be there or there abouts by the end of the season.
I would modify you opening sentence. There was some very nice pretty, pretty approach work, but the final third was a non event. I just hope we can hang on to around 4 or 5 point gap to the play offs by Christmas and that we then bring in the players we really need. Like an experienced defender and another consistent goal scorer. Maybe a change of approach as well. I have never understood playing only two centre backs when both full backs are really wing backs and bomb forward at every opportunity. That approach usually required three centre backs.

The frustrating thing is that we don’t look far off a team that could comfortably beat Plymouth. A small number of defensive errors and a large number of missed shots or incomplete final passes was the difference today. All from players who, on their day, don’t make those errors.

It's all a bit samey samey. Need 20 chances to score, weak and porous at the back meaning the opposition score from 1 or 2 chances. Any team who sits back and hit us on the break seem to beat us. The last 2-3 seasons have been pretty much the same. Look at Plymouth, struggled last season and now flying at the top. With our predictable style of play I don't think we will move forward.

The only difference.... For me..... Was the finishing.
Saying that, Holland and Whyte can go back in January, shadow of their former selves.

Well that was a frustrating afternoon the ref was s**t we outplayed Plymouth is the 2nd half they quite clearly were settling for us to attack and then to hit us on the counter I actually think they looked a decent team to be honest I just don’t know how we lost that game we had chance after chance and nothing
Oh well we will do it all again on Tuesday I just hope we have some shooting practice before then

The only difference.... For me..... Was the finishing.
Saying that, Holland and Whyte can go back in January, shadow of their former selves.
I would agree on Whyte I haven’t seen him do anything since he returned every game he’s rubbish
Holland I think was not to bad today

The Long and Henry combination on the right was dismal, Henry not tracking back or pressing and Long just being invisible meant Moore was dragged out wide to cover.
Robinson's obsession with playing Henry has got to stop.

I like to think I’m fairly objective and will happily give credit where it’s due, but I’m really surprised by the compliments for Plymouth on here. I thought they looked fine - 14 is some player, Camara impressed again and that 7 was tasty, but overall they struck me as a decent League One side that we’ve run into at just the wrong time. Confidence clearly through the roof. Had three chances and scored three (very good) goals. But 9 times out of 10 we run out of that comfortable winners.

A game of two halves. Thought the first half was very finely balanced, and they maybe just shaded it. But the second half, until Whyte came off, was so so good from us. You can’t accuse us of not making chances - we created more than enough in that 45-70 minute period to win that game comfortably. After that Henry skied effort from the angle, though, you always knew that third goal was coming. Entertaining game though - credit to Argyle for not resorting to any egregious gamesmanship.

I think our lineup killed us first half. I don’t really understand the logic of having Henry and Whyte playing but having Henry as the wife player and Whyte as the 10. Henry drifting in meant their LWB could push up and pull long out of position, which is where all their joy came from first half. Whyte moving wide caused them so much difficulty second half. I feel it also meant it pulled across one of their two CMs, who in the first half had sat on Bran and Kane and effectively neutralised them. That gave Kane the time on the ball to pull them apart in that second period.

No great cause for panic from me. The extent to which we’re dropping points from winning positions this season is becoming a concern, and we don’t seem to have shrugged off that ‘soft underbelly’ tag. But when we get on the ball and play our game we look one hell of a team. Today was frustrating, but it has left me feeling optimistic for the months ahead.

Could do with a few more zeros in the opposition column. Very hard to swashbuckle your way to glory and score a minimum of 2/3 goals every single week. Two clean sheets in 15 or so games in all competitions needs improving.

I’m going on Tuesday so no need to worry, the lads will be very excited and victory is assured. By 9:45pm on Tuesday the communal bath will be positively rocking.

Back
Top Bottom