Home Match Day Thread 16/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Plymouth Argyle

I would agree on Whyte I haven’t seen him do anything since he returned every game he’s rubbish
Holland I think was not to bad
Today

Little bit harsh as he hasn’t been played in the same position he was used previously.
Also we’re not as strong defensively as when he was last here, to let him do what he does best.
Came from crusaders with a lot of ambition and something to prove. and a manager who got the best out of him at the time.

I like to think I’m fairly objective and will happily give credit where it’s due, but I’m really surprised by the compliments for Plymouth on here. I thought they looked fine - 14 is some player, Camara impressed again and that 7 was tasty, but overall they struck me as a decent League One side that we’ve run into at just the wrong time. Confidence clearly through the roof. Had three chances and scored three (very good) goals. But 9 times out of 10 we run out of that comfortable winners.

A game of two halves. Thought the first half was very finely balanced, and they maybe just shaded it. But the second half, until Whyte came off, was so so good from us. You can’t accuse us of not making chances - we created more than enough in that 45-70 minute period to win that game comfortably. After that Henry skied effort from the angle, though, you always knew that third goal was coming. Entertaining game though - credit to Argyle for not resorting to any egregious gamesmanship.

Think that's pretty unfair on Plymouth, to be honest. As well as the three goals, they hit the post, and Jack made the best save of the game second half (for all our possession in dangerous positions, other than the goal, I don't think we actually tested their keeper once?). And Jephcott got into good positions on at least three occasions, only to dismally fail to hit the target (two headers, one near post flick). BBC says they had 12 shots in total, 5 on goal......and that feels about right to me.

We had 14 shots total, only 2 on target - which rather emphasises where we went wrong today (going forwards, at least). Nothing wrong with our build-up play (again).

But all in all, I think Plymouth were as good a side as we've played this season. Now could we have beaten them on our day? Yes, absolutely. But that's because we're also one of the better sides in League One.....at least going forwards.

Also.....KR - great eye for a player, seems to be a good man-manager, but tactically he just isn't the sharpest and he got out-thought again today in the second half. We were rampant for twenty minutes, but then Lowe made a couple of changes to shore things up down their left.....and we made a couple of changes that only served to blunt our attack......to the point where they were actually able to see the game out pretty comfortably in the last twenty.
When he has a week to plan, then KR's Plan A is often pretty good. But coming up with Plan B on the fly once the oppo has deployed counter-measures? Not his forte.

A poor performance against a Plymouth side that knew how to nullify kr's one dimensional tactics. Once they had done that, all they needed to do was to cruise in fourth gear, and as we reverted to long ball nonsense pick us off on the counter.
Another failure to beat a top 6 side, with a full strength squad.
There's no need to panic, as we won't go down, but on the other hand, unless some form of consistency is had, we wont go up either.
The chances that went begging today were crazy, showing that another striker was possibly needed during the recent window.
Two incidents of poor defending cost us two cheap goals, probably the game, but you could feel we were beaten when deep into the second half, we reverted to hoofing it up the field in hope more than expectation.

Bright start, brilliant opening goal and all seemed rosy.

Then Plymouth discovered that we weren’t all that in the challenge and they frankly turned us over. I doubt that would have happened with Spanish hatchet on pitch . He played in Sheffield Wednesday win, so why wasn’t he played today?

We lacked a lot of strength and speed . Holland is a very incomplete player; has ability but simply doesn’t seem to be very good at tracking back. The left hand side with a non tackling left back is therefore weak. Watch the better sides target us here.

Plymouth weren’t all that but they kept their shape and the 14 has a bright future; very impressive. They had two or three seemingly FIFA moments where we couldn’t touch them and bang, goal, goal, goal. The reality was that we let them have too much space through not enough positional discipline on the day.

Honourable mentions to Moore and Taylor; kept going and kept getting stuck in. Taylor’s goal a joy, he’s such a cute finisher.

We did make plenty of chances and our play is generally progressive and pleasing on the eye but the finishing was Sunday league standard. Whyte was a major culprit. So slow to get his shot off . He needs a rocket up his a**e.

I’d imagine a few changes on Tuesday.

Final thought - I'm starting to worry that Cardiff may have broken Gavin Whyte. Certainly the last couple of years has completely drained all his confidence.

There was one point early second half where he got free, and was racing into the area.
The Gavin Whyte that we saw previously would have driven on for another touch and then drilled it on goal. May not have scored, but typically would have at least worked the keeper.

The 2021 version stopped, held it up and then rolled a poor ball across the area to no-one in particular.

It's a little sad, but I'm really not sure he's worth a place in the side right now. I don't think he's currently one of our best XI players. He's desperately bereft of confidence.
I know there's some logic in trying to play him into form, but he's had nine games now and isn't really looking any better........
Maybe a run of games on the RW might bring the best version back, but equally maybe we'd do better with Williams, Sykes or Bodin out there, or with Gorrin in the middle to free up Cam & Herbie, and Henry out there (where he was certainly effective first half)?

I wonder if the week off actually worked against us. We do best when we’re on a roll, which Plymouth certainly were.

I wouldn’t get despondent, we had an off day and Henry would have had a couple most weeks. Just lacked some sharpness and focus but created loads of chances against the league leaders.

Agree that Whyte has been very disappointing this season so far. I’d give Williams a chance on Tuesday.

Not for the first time this season, finishing cost us that game. They only made a good 5/6 chances but took 3 of them, we missed countless chances and opportunities I lost count.

Plymouth will make the playoffs this season, they can be ruthless on the counter attack.

Kane and Brannagan are a sensational duo for league one, we aren't getting the best out of them, what a shame they were both sat deep for 90 minutes today. They should be creating further forward.

Bright start, brilliant opening goal and all seemed rosy.

Then Plymouth discovered that we weren’t all that in the challenge and they frankly turned us over. I doubt that would have happened with Spanish hatchet on pitch . He played in Sheffield Wednesday win, so why wasn’t he played today?

We lacked a lot of strength and speed . Holland is a very incomplete player; has ability but simply doesn’t seem to be very good at tracking back. The left hand side with a non tackling left back is therefore weak. Watch the better sides target us here.

Plymouth weren’t all that but they kept their shape and the 14 has a bright future; very impressive. They had two or three seemingly FIFA moments where we couldn’t touch them and bang, goal, goal, goal. The reality was that we let them have too much space through not enough positional discipline on the day.

Honourable mentions to Moore and Taylor; kept going and kept getting stuck in. Taylor’s goal a joy, he’s such a cute finisher.

We did make plenty of chances and our play is generally progressive and pleasing on the eye but the finishing was Sunday league standard. Whyte was a major culprit. So slow to get his shot off . He needs a rocket up his a**e.

I’d imagine a few changes on Tuesday.
Moore needs to leave and shut the door behind him, not good enough if we want to progress, its as quiet as a mouse on that field, defence not good enough sorry and am not over reacting, we need winners on that pitch, also up top we could do with a young big robust centre forward, Simms from Everton, bullied us for fun for Blackpool,

I have only looked briefly at thread but am sure others have said the same
Against Stevenage we had a load of chances but only took one
Today again we had loads, Holland created 2 unmissable tap ins, if only someone had been on the end on those crosses
Henry had 1 if not 2 glorious chances, the first of which was the best, albeit on his left he should have scored
Matty Should or could have had a second but was just left of the upright
JT header, off target
The off target number must been quite high

Which current league one strikers were wanted by Championship sides?

Neocortex is

Jephcott is 21 and the the other guy is on loan from Swansea.
Would guess both have more potential and interest than our 3.
Two of who are over 30.
Blackpool had Yates and Simms late last season and got promotion and made Atkinson and Moore look average.

Neocortex is

Jephcott is 21 and the the other guy is on loan from Swansea.
Would guess both have more potential and interest than our 3.
Two of who are over 30.
Blackpool had Yates and Simms late last season and got promotion and made Atkinson and Moore look average.

So neither of the players you mention were wanted by Championship sides which is the benchmark that you're making for success?

Hey, it was Plymouth.

For large parts of that game we had a team who are unbeaten for two months completely on the ropes. Should be pleased with that at least.

In terms of that front 3: Whyte should've played 90 minutes at right wing today. Henry looked promising at number ten if only he could finish. I really like Holland but for 85 minutes today he was woeful.

Having a roast dinner this evening so feel entitled to say Herbie Kane is different gravy. Thought Moore was absolutely solid today too, Taylor's finish was gorgeous as well.

Today's performance was nothing to be ashamed of against a very good team, certainly no reason to be fantasising over sacking our manager!

As I left today, a Plymouth fan stopped his car and asked 'where are we?' I was about to start giving directions, but before I could respond he yelled 'we're top of the league' and screeched off!

So neither of the players you mention were wanted by Championship sides which is the benchmark that you're making for success?

Yep not good enough for Bristol city Barnsley or Sheffield Wednesday ,
The other two have potential and a careers to build.

Learn to be as clinical as Plymouth were today and we’re not losing too many games.

Today I was thoroughly entertained and the crowd was decent. Result was gutting and at times it was frustrating. After all those chances you could have written the script that we were going to be hit with a sucker punch.

12 games in last season we were on 13 points and 18th, so really not feeling negative about our chances at this moment in time.

If we can sort out our decision making in front of goal (easier said than done I know) we would put together another very decent run of results like last season.

Need a good response on Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom