Away Match Day Thread 15/01/2022 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to improve second half otherwise another game in 2022 we won't be winning I'm afraid

Get ready for 45 minutes of dark arts. Season starting to unravel a little for us when Taylor is off form we have about as much goal threat as my 5year deceased Dear Gran.

I can't help feeling we've wasted some chances in that half. None for Matty that I can recall though. He does need some support / cover during this window.

Same old.... not making the most of chances created

poor defending for their goal

our wingers n midfielders need to get involved more and get stuck in more

get at them from the start second half Oxford

Ref not to blame for us being behind, not making the most of our chances and not dealing with a corner is.
I’d say two players players miles offside and right in front of the goalie he can take some blame.

It annoys me our players don’t get stuck into referees more for bad decisions like that as it makes a difference . Shows insufficient passion and care in my opinion

This is the sort of game that makes me question KR. He rarely gets the better or has the plans to break down sides like this.

And the goals we’ve conceded form set pieces this season - Bolton away, Cheltenham at home, Wimbledon away, Cambridge away. So many points dropped from giving away goals from set pieces …

Only listening, but (as I think we all feared) McGuane is not a central defensive midfielder.

This is the sort of game that makes me question KR. He rarely gets the better or has the plans to break down sides like this.

And the goals we’ve conceded form set pieces this season - Bolton away, Cheltenham at home, Wimbledon away, Cambridge away. So many points dropped from giving away goals from set pieces …
basics of defending on set pieces are lacking - why have 11 men in / around our pen area?

We need to improve second half otherwise another game in 2022 we won't be winning I'm afraid

Can't even see us getting a draw to be honest, we badly need some signings to bolster this squad to give us a chance of not only making the play offs but to be successful in them. All this talk about brannagan and sykes being signed up by championship sides and they've been outplayed in midfield for the last game and a half. Need to sort it out .

We started well but Wycombe weathered the storm and then scored in the shocking and unexpected method of set peice.

When Taylor is off form we don’t have much threat up front, we could do with a different option to hold the ball up and play others in (am I the first on here to say that?!)

I thought McGuane was ok given his role was the holding one, he made some good tackles and interceptions but wasn’t supposed to be the one making everything happen going forwards, especially as we haven’t played our usual possession game, going for a more direct, counter-attacking approach. Brannigan hasn’t looked his usual self.

I wouldn’t mind seeing us try and control the ball a bit more second half, pass it around like we usually do - not because our change of style didn’t work, it did at first but Wycombe seem to have worked it out now.

Stick Thornley CDM McNally on . Get Sykes off .Score early second half still win this

Frustrating but predictable. I thought we started really well, well on top, created some good chances. Generally defended really well too, Moore winning absolutely everything in the air. That goals absolutely knocked the stuffing out of us though. All them ever since. Shades of Blackpool last year where we just look less athletic than them and can’t get anything going. Sykes and Maguane been anonymous unfortunately.

Frickin' Anthony Stewart - by my count that's four brilliant goal-saving blocks/interceptions he's made in the past three games against us.

Otherwise, hard to argue with the scoreline. We played really well for the first twenty, but since then Wycombe have been winning everything and they've looked the more dangerous team.

I'm gonna say the same thing I said last week, and the same thing I said against Cheltenham, but we've not got enough bite in the centre of the park. Wycombe are winning the battle in there, and it's consigned us to relying on long balls (that Matty T can't really be expected to win) and the occasional quick counter (which is when we've looked dangerous).

We badly need a Gorrin replacement this window, because I don't see anyone on the bench that can fix that problem (though obviously we're in better shape when we've got Kane rather than McGuane at the base).

As for today, just got to scrap like hell and hope we can put another couple of passages of good play together or get a lucky bounce ot two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom