Away Match Build Up 15/01/2022 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
Have we signed anybody?
Is the new stadium finished?
What! We have a football game to play as well?
Okay, this one will not be easy, no Kane and uncertain if CB will/can play.
But the lads can do it, after all they will make the Wanderers go and sit on their chairs.
0-1 to the Mighty Yellows (after a nervous second half).

Tough game, hope there’s a reaction after last saturdays shocker, looking like a new midfield but we’ve seen that we can tough it out when the chips are down.

Was not confident before Lincoln and that has made things worse! Forget how cringeworthy they are as a club, they have a really strong side this season with some top players.

I watched the three goals that Wycombe put past Sunderland in their 3-3 draw on Saturday. They're the most typical Wycombe goals that you can imagine although more worryingly, they look exactly the sort of goals that we tend to concede - two set pieces and a low shot from the edge of the area into the bottom corner.

Whilst Wycombe's stone age football has hardly developed since their time in the second tier, they do have some better players in who can do it. Loathe their style as we might and as much shade we throw their way, Wycombe are effective at what they do.

Sorry to say it, but without much of our best midfield available, I can only see this one being a frustrating one-goal-in-it defeat.

Think Lincoln in their last two games + us vs Rotherham/Fleetwood/Wigan shows the advantage of siege mentality, think KR will get them fired up for this one.

On the tactical side, will be interesting how it plays out given we'll likely be a bit more defensive, which in turn may force Wycombe to change their style slightly.

I watched the three goals that Wycombe put past Sunderland in their 3-3 draw on Saturday. They're the most typical Wycombe goals that you can imagine although more worryingly, they look exactly the sort of goals that we tend to concede - two set pieces and a low shot from the edge of the area into the bottom corner.

Whilst Wycombe's stone age football has hardly developed since their time in the second tier, they do have some better players in who can do it. Loathe their style as we might and as much shade we throw their way, Wycombe are effective at what they do.

Sorry to say it, but without much of our best midfield available, I can only see this one being a frustrating one-goal-in-it defeat.
Agree that they were typical 'Wycombe' goals but from what I've seen, the football has moved on - they have better players and do move the ball around a bit more, albeit they are not playing possession based football. They also have a distinct plan B, whereby the fat bloke comes on instead or alongside Vokes and they just pump it forward at every opportunity. It seems to work as they have managed some late equalisers recently.

They also concede slightly more goals than they did the the last time in League One.

I usually always think we are going to win, but if we don't have Brannagan and Kane then I'd be very happy with a draw on this occasion.

Lincoln winning at Sunderland shows that they are on the mend and our below par performance gave them a leg up. Against Wycombe we have nothing to fear. Play our best football and only one winner. Looking forward to an excellent away win.

Not too hopeful about this based on the last 2 performances, will take a battling draw and a good day out if it comes to it.

Any better option for CDM than Mousinho with Brannagan & Kane out?

Stevens
Long Moore Thorniley Seddon
Mousinho
Henry McGuane
Sykes Taylor Holland

Eastwood, McNally, Forde, Bodin, Williams, Winnall, Whyte​

Eastwood
Long McNally Moore Seddon
McGuane
Henry Sykes
Whyte Taylor Williams
That’s assuming CB is injured. I’m sure I remember McGuane playing the holding role recently and being decent there. I don’t buy that the midfield lacks bite as Kane doesn’t tackle much when he’s in there, he‘a more of a passer, and Sykes can snap into a tackle or two. I think McNally deserves to keep his place as well. The other option would be, depending on fitness and if we’re going to punish players for poor performances:

Eastwood
Long McNally Moore Thorniley
Forde
Henry McGuane
Sykes Taylor Holland
I actually think it’s less about the team and more if we can rediscover our form and the way we like to play. I think McNally’s physicality could be key, as well as the likes of Sykes’ pressing, and not having 4-5 players having an off day.

Obviously like us all I really want us to win but I just can't see it Wycombe will be to strong for us on the day they will score first and do there usual tricks
2-0

Any good tips for parking? As usual parking at the ground is a non starter. Arriving at 13:30 so don’t mind bit of a walk…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom