Home Match Day Thread +++ 14/9/2019 OUFC v Tranmere Rovers Match Day Thread +++

He is the only one out of their team I would want based on today's game, they were very poor.

Their centre forward (Stefan Payne?) was awful, only notable for his fouling.

Fosu's defensive work was good today as well as his attacking play.

Also a mention for Mous who settled in and had a reasonable game.

Payne didn't look fit either

I don't think there is one, and I'm not sure why some want to suggest there is.

He has been building his fitness and was not expected to be featuring regularly yet anyway. The initial bench was balanced with a replacement keeper (Stevens), full back (Long), CB/CM (Mous), CM/AM (Baptiste), RM (Hall), LM (Forde) and Striker (Taylor). Not being in the match day squad doesn't mean that he is rated, but like Sykes before, it is more often a case of balancing the options to change all areas of the team if needed.
You’re a bit Pravda like Scotch Egg. The bloke has been clearly purchased non match fit, like Thorne. This raises eyebrows in my opinion.

Personally I thought it was two poor teams. Woodburn was anonymous and once we crossed the halfway line we looked short of ideas. We lack pace up front and as much as Mackie is entertaining to watch he is always treading a thin line and lacks mobility. Personally I would like to have seen Ageyi given some game time just to see what he could have done against back four. Most important was three points and that we achieved but I can’t help thinking with the potential we have we are massively underachieving at the moment.

maybe I have missed the point but Agyei was on the bench today - he just didn't come off it

I believe he wasn't on the bench originally - Moore was in the original starting line-up, and Mousinho was on the bench instead of Agyei.

Moore's late scratch led to Mousinho playing and Agyei ending up on the bench after all.

Eastwood: 6 - He doesn't look himself still, although he did make a couple of good saves. KR mentioned him negatively in his post match interview which is never good!

Cadden: 8 - It's not his fault that we're rubbish from corners. If we had a Luke Garbutt swinging brilliant balls in then his multiple corners generated a game would result in a few goals. He gets so wide and so high up that he's just a constant outlet and teams can't seem to live with him. One ball he drilled across the box would surely have been tapped in by a poacher like Taylor.

Dickie: 7.5 - He just looks classy, composed, and so good on the ball. If only we had a left-sided CB as good as him

Mousinho: 6.5 - He did well enough having only just come in to the team before the game

Ruffels: 6 - Didn't look his usual self to me.

Gorrin: 6.5 - Sorry but I don't rate him as high as some do on here. I can see why Guardian-reading football hipsters would like him, he's very Spanish and tiki-taka, but he doesn't always put enough tackles in for me and I don't think it's a coincidence that we look so vulnerable at the back with him in the team. His passing is also very uninspired, usually slow and backwards. Possible weak link for me.

Brannigan: 7.5 - He's just a step above the other midfielders on the pitch. He's comfortable on the ball, can dribble, give and go, and now he's added goals to his game he's quickly becoming the most vital player in our team. Not his best game but popped up with another goal.

Henry: 7 - Took both penalties well and it's nice to have someone reliable to score them - even when both he had to wrestle off other players! But overall I only thought he was good not great. He tried to take on his man a couple of times and failed in the first half, but was decent in the second.

Woodburn: 6.5 - You can see he has ability but he never seems to take the game by the scruff of the neck or really impact it. Frustrating and to be honest if it was a straight choice (not saying it should be) I'd rather see Baptiste there.

Fosu: 8.5 - clear MOTM for me - Tranmere couldn't live with him at times, how he could be anything other than MOTM is baffling to me when he won the penalty for the first goal, set up the second and generally tormented the defence - and even tracked back well! Seeing him defending for the cause was great, you couldn't really ask for more from a wide man.

Mackie: 7 - He certainly worked hard but at times there is little end product. It's funny watching him run, arms pumping, gangling legs flying about the place, yet getting nowhere fast. I think a fit Taylor or Agyei take him place in the team.

Subs:

Taylor: Didn't have much time but good to see him fit
Baptiste: Involved as usual. Won the penalty. Hope he's not injured
Forde: He's got class, good ball for the pen

Some might think these ratings are a bit harsh but let's be honest, we were poor today against a very weak team. Still, 3-0 win and a clean sheet is a good day at the office.

Scratching my head as to how on earth you think Mackie had a better game than Gorrin. That goal saving block alone was more than anything Mackie contributed.

I really hope I’m wrong, but I just sense a frustrating afternoon e.g. 0-0 scrappy game.

Now I’ve said that I know I’ll be wrong, so here’s hoping for a 3-0 win.

You must be ecstatic - bouncing off the ceiling.

Eastwood: 6 - He doesn't look himself still, although he did make a couple of good saves. KR mentioned him negatively in his post match interview which is never good!

Cadden: 8 - It's not his fault that we're rubbish from corners. If we had a Luke Garbutt swinging brilliant balls in then his multiple corners generated a game would result in a few goals. He gets so wide and so high up that he's just a constant outlet and teams can't seem to live with him. One ball he drilled across the box would surely have been tapped in by a poacher like Taylor.

Dickie: 7.5 - He just looks classy, composed, and so good on the ball. If only we had a left-sided CB as good as him

Mousinho: 6.5 - He did well enough having only just come in to the team before the game

Ruffels: 6 - Didn't look his usual self to me.

Gorrin: 6.5 - Sorry but I don't rate him as high as some do on here. I can see why Guardian-reading football hipsters would like him, he's very Spanish and tiki-taka, but he doesn't always put enough tackles in for me and I don't think it's a coincidence that we look so vulnerable at the back with him in the team. His passing is also very uninspired, usually slow and backwards. Possible weak link for me.

Brannigan: 7.5 - He's just a step above the other midfielders on the pitch. He's comfortable on the ball, can dribble, give and go, and now he's added goals to his game he's quickly becoming the most vital player in our team. Not his best game but popped up with another goal.

Henry: 7 - Took both penalties well and it's nice to have someone reliable to score them - even when both he had to wrestle off other players! But overall I only thought he was good not great. He tried to take on his man a couple of times and failed in the first half, but was decent in the second.

Woodburn: 6.5 - You can see he has ability but he never seems to take the game by the scruff of the neck or really impact it. Frustrating and to be honest if it was a straight choice (not saying it should be) I'd rather see Baptiste there.

Fosu: 8.5 - clear MOTM for me - Tranmere couldn't live with him at times, how he could be anything other than MOTM is baffling to me when he won the penalty for the first goal, set up the second and generally tormented the defence - and even tracked back well! Seeing him defending for the cause was great, you couldn't really ask for more from a wide man.

Mackie: 7 - He certainly worked hard but at times there is little end product. It's funny watching him run, arms pumping, gangling legs flying about the place, yet getting nowhere fast. I think a fit Taylor or Agyei take him place in the team.

Subs:

Taylor: Didn't have much time but good to see him fit
Baptiste: Involved as usual. Won the penalty. Hope he's not injured
Forde: He's got class, good ball for the pen

Some might think these ratings are a bit harsh but let's be honest, we were poor today against a very weak team. Still, 3-0 win and a clean sheet is a good day at the office.

I would disagree that Mackie was more effective in his role than Eastwood, Ruffels, Gorrin and Mousinho were in theirs.

I believe he wasn't on the bench originally - Moore was in the original starting line-up, and Mousinho was on the bench instead of Agyei.

Moore's late scratch led to Mousinho playing and Agyei ending up on the bench after all.

Thanks....was beginning to question my sanity.

We didn't play our best today, but got the result - I can take that though as we've played well and lost too much this year.

The risk with Woodburn is his complete lack of experience in the men's game until now - sort of like Tyler Roberts when he came on loan. He does struggle to consistently get into games, but he is getting there and had a moment today where he physically got stuck in. Give him a month or so more game time, and I can see the light really going on for him.

Other thoughts. Mous is a really good leader out there, just a calm voice in a sea of uncertainty. He has some moments, but the little moments from he and Mackie today really kept things focused. Cadden looks more comfortable at RB but needs seasoning, Mackie suffers from Ryan Taylor syndrome - makes his runs in the box too early, but is a royal pain the backside to play against and Henry has put a yard of pace on. I hope Baptiste is ok.

Stand out players were Fosu and Brannagan. Fosu was fully engaged in that game and really exposed Tranmere's weaknesses and made their lives so hard. Brannagan is really showing what playing football can do for a players career and why being in a Premier League Academy is not the be all and end all.

Tranmere looked like a decent L2 team promoted too early. They will struggle against the better teams as hard work won't win you games on L1, but if you scrape points against Rochdale and Accrington, they'll be ok.

Good point re Brannagan.

He has always looked a decent player but has been played out of position previously and has taken a little longer to show exactly how good he is compared to others who have moved on for decent fees.

Talks extremely well whenever I hear him on Radio Oxford. Just sounds like the sort of player you want to have around the place.

The move to play proper football for him is really starting to pay off. There will definitely be interest in him in the January window.

ok thanks for that - I arrived not long before ko so had assumed Agyei was in from the start

Personally I thought it was two poor teams. Woodburn was anonymous and once we crossed the halfway line we looked short of ideas. We lack pace up front and as much as Mackie is entertaining to watch he is always treading a thin line and lacks mobility. Personally I would like to have seen Ageyi given some game time just to see what he could have done against back four. Most important was three points and that we achieved but I can’t help thinking with the potential we have we are massively underachieving at the moment.

it was fairly poor as you say though we were clearly the better team at least potential wise - against a better team who knows what might have happened
I feel sorry for Mackie - he is too old to play the role being asked of him and was never exactly prolific even in his heyday - several decent crosses just going across their goal with nobody near them was both ridiculous and frustrating too - surely KR must see this too

This stat hasn't been updated to include yesterday's round of games, but it does suggest that the Gorrin can't/doesn't tackle label is unfair.

I just don’t get the criticism of Gorrin. He reads the game very well, doesn’t always get there on time hence his accumulation of bookings but I can see why the likes of Brannagan have spoken highly of him. He’s quietly aggressive, by that I mean he’s not Mad Dog aggressive biting your ankles but he can definitely put his foot in.

He maybe tried one or two too many extravagant passes out towards Cadden yesterday but a few did work and it’s a nice looking ball when he pings it and it comes off . He possibly plays the ball unnecessarily square or backwards sometimes but he moves it quickly and doesn’t dilly dally and is always available for the return and at this level quickness of mind and passing will undo the opposition as much as anything.

He’s very good and along with Cadden was our stand out player yesterday.

it was fairly poor as you say though we were clearly the better team at least potential wise - against a better team who knows what might have happened
I feel sorry for Mackie - he is too old to play the role being asked of him and was never exactly prolific even in his heyday - several decent crosses just going across their goal with nobody near them was both ridiculous and frustrating too - surely KR must see this too

I think once Agyei and Taylor are fully fit, Mackie will become the supersub who plays the last 20 odd minutes to see out a game and only start the odd game.

It was noticeable how his performances improved after Sinclair started playing regularly as well last season. Mackie just doesn't have the fitness to play well for 2 games in a week although he is clearly always willing to try if KR needs him to do so.

I think once Agyei and Taylor are fully fit, Mackie will become the supersub who plays the last 20 odd minutes to see out a game and only start the odd game.

It was noticeable how his performances improved after Sinclair started playing regularly as well last season. Mackie just doesn't have the fitness to play well for 2 games in a week although he is clearly always willing to try if KR needs him to do so.

you are spot on - he is certainly willing to give 100% for the cause and nobody could seriously doubt that - but he is being asked to do too much

You must be ecstatic - bouncing off the ceiling.

Not by the performance, but definitely by the result. Like so said, if I’d put a bet on that we’d win 3-0 it definitely wouldn't have come in with it more likely to have been a scrappy 0-0!!

Back
Top Bottom