Home Match Day Thread +++ 14/9/2019 OUFC v Tranmere Rovers Match Day Thread +++

Important to get a win and the bonus of a clean sheet for confidence alone.

Fosu was deservedly motm, he was the main difference between the two sides.

Without Fosu this current starting XI looks very one paced, Fosu has pace and trickery, you can see that oppositions fear and target him. Yes we have some technically good players, but pace is the key added ingredient for this team to be reasonably successful. We need to get Fosu, Baptiste, Taylor and Aygei into this side on a regular basis.

A lot of people are slating yesterdays performance, I don't know what game you lot were watching, but I thought we played well, and showed a freshness and urgency that has been lacking in recent games.

All the players who were subbed off, were given standing ovations, including Woodburn, who I agree, until yesterday had not done much to impress me, but had his best game for us, and there was a lot of applause at full time, which suggests the majority of the crowd were as pleased with the display as I was.

We were passing the ball well, defending well, and looked like we were getting our mojo back, and hopefully that result, and performance, signals the end of our loss of form, and we can now go on and have the season we all thought we would have.

Thought Fosu had a great game & Cadden must have impressed the watching Steve Clark - who, apparently, did not know he will be off at Christmas!

Thought Fosu had a great game & Cadden must have impressed the watching Steve Clark - who, apparently, did not know he will be off at Christmas!
I've got a feeling Cadden won't be going either. Reckon the loan will either be extended to a season long deal or we'll look to turn it into a permanent deal.

I am hugely relieved by the three points and the clean sheet.

Having said that I thought both teams were bloody awful in the first half - we didn't get going at all until the half hour mark. We did improve a little in the second half, but we will have to be better than that when we play anyone decent (Tranmere will go down based on that performance). Honourable mentions for Fosu, Dickie and Brannagan, and Baptiste added a lot when he came on - I thought if we'd had a proper striker on the pitch for more of the game he would have got to some of those crosses and we had the normal problems with a general lack of pace and there being a gap behind Cadden a lot of the time. Some players were a bit anonymous and we looked quite disjointed, but I don't think anyone had a 'bad' game. Not the finished article by any means, but encouraging and hopefully it will give the players come confidence. Another three points on Tuesday please!

Comfortable win yesterday, we now need to go on a run to restore confidence and get our season back on track. A great opportunity on Tuesday for our first away win and back to back victories.

Some might think these ratings are a bit harsh but let's be honest, we were poor today against a very weak team. Still, 3-0 win and a clean sheet is a good day at the office.

Not harsh at all. We were poor in the first half against a dire side that didn't seem to have watched us play.

In the second we seemed to get a bit of confidence and deserved the win but:

The defence yielded up chances under minimal pressure, not well organised

We desperately need a striker, a real one, Mackie may be a threat to defenders' health but not to the goal

Anyway, hope we put Bolton to the sword. We need to. Then perhaps we can improve.

You have to say that Henry is a very calm penalty taker.
He waited for the keeper to move yesterday and simply put it in the other side of the net.
Don't think their goalie was particularly fussed before the second penalty take. Struck up a conversation with a couple of our players while Baptiste was having treatment...…...Still, it was all over by then.

Don't think their goalie was particularly fussed before the second penalty take. Struck up a conversation with a couple of our players while Baptiste was having treatment...…...Still, it was all over by then.
I didn’t think you watched the penalty’s.

A lot of people are slating yesterdays performance, I don't know what game you lot were watching, but I thought we played well, and showed a freshness and urgency that has been lacking in recent games.

All the players who were subbed off, were given standing ovations, including Woodburn, who I agree, until yesterday had not done much to impress me, but had his best game for us, and there was a lot of applause at full time, which suggests the majority of the crowd were as pleased with the display as I was.

We were passing the ball well, defending well, and looked like we were getting our mojo back, and hopefully that result, and performance, signals the end of our loss of form, and we can now go on and have the season we all thought we would have.

Not sure a lot of people are but it’s by no means anywhere near our best performance of the season and against a team that showed very little. Our passing is always good, think we are in the top 4 passing accuracy in the league along with possession too.

Not sure a lot of people are but it’s by no means anywhere near our best performance of the season and against a team that showed very little. Our passing is always good, think we are in the top 4 passing accuracy in the league along with possession too.
I reckon it was one of our worst performances against one of the worst 2 opponents (Blackpool were very poor although we were very very good in that game)
Having said that even not playing particularly well we won fairly comfortably and with Taylor and Baptiste especially to come in things look a lot better than they did yesterday morning.

Back
Top Bottom