Home Match Day Thread +++ 14/9/2019 OUFC v Tranmere Rovers Match Day Thread +++

Much needed win, and a very good performance.
Took us a while to grow into the game, but as the game went on, the better we got.

Thought Woodburn had his best game for us today, with some excellent play, very impressive. 7.5

Fosu also had his best game for us, his link up play, use of the ball, and tracking back was really excellent, and he deserved to be MOTM. 8

Gorrin was quietly solid, and put in a great first half block, real body on the line stuff, excellent. 7

Brannagan was excellent again, we're really gonna struggle to keep hold of him in January, although I would like to see him be a bit more intricate with his passing at times, but still, what a player. 8

Henry, superb again, great composure on the ball, and from the spot, and puts in a real shift off the ball as well, brilliant. 8

Cadden was excellent, great forward play, has a great relationship with Henry, and solid defensively, really gonna miss him when he leaves. 8

Mackie is awesome, what a shithouse, just wish he could make the right runs, and get on the end of crosses better. 7

Ruffels was back to his old self, looked much more solid and focused. 7

Dickie played well, solid defensively, and brought the ball out well, as usual, and seems to be more comfortable playing alongside Mous. 7

Eastwood didn't really have much to do, which was nice. Kicking could be better at times though. 6

Mous was very good, much sharper, faster, more mobile, and in my opinion, technically better, and more assured on the ball than Moore, and I feel the whole defence was more comfortable with him playing alongside Dickie. 7

Baptiste did well to win the penalty, hopefully he didn't injure his knee in the process, and there's no after effect. 6

Taylor and Forde didn't really have much time to affect the game, but did what was asked of them when they came on, and was good to see Taylor back.

Overall, a much more solid, team performance, and although Tranmere were very poor, we made them look poor as well, we looked refreshed, and more like the side that started the season so well, and although there is still room for improvement, I think we showed signs of getting our mojo back.

Bring on Bolton!

Much needed win, and a very good performance.
Took us a while to grow into the game, but as the game went on, the better we got.

Thought Woodburn had his best game for us today, with some excellent play, very impressive. 7.5

Fosu also had his best game for us, his link up play, use of the ball, and tracking back was really excellent, and he deserved to be MOTM. 8

Gorrin was quietly solid, and put in a great first half block, real body on the line stuff, excellent. 7

Brannagan was excellent again, we're really gonna struggle to keep hold of him in January, although I would like to see him be a bit more intricate with his passing at times, but still, what a player. 8

Henry, superb again, great composure on the ball, and from the spot, and puts in a real shift off the ball as well, brilliant. 8

Cadden was excellent, great forward play, has a great relationship with Henry, and solid defensively, really gonna miss him when he leaves. 8

Mackie is awesome, what a shithouse, just wish he could make the right runs, and get on the end of crosses better. 7

Ruffels was back to his old self, looked much more solid and focused. 7

Dickie played well, solid defensively, and brought the ball out well, as usual, and seems to be more comfortable playing alongside Mous. 7

Eastwood didn't really have much to do, which was nice. Kicking could be better at times though. 6

Mous was very good, much sharper, faster, more mobile, and in my opinion, technically better, and more assured on the ball than Moore, and I feel the whole defence was more comfortable with him playing alongside Dickie. 7

Baptiste did well to win the penalty, hopefully he didn't injure his knee in the process, and there's no after effect. 6

Taylor and Forde didn't really have much time to affect the game, but did what was asked of them when they came on, and was good to see Taylor back.

Overall, a much more solid, team performance, and although Tranmere were very poor, we made them look poor as well, we looked refreshed, and more like the side that started the season so well, and although there is still room for improvement, I think we showed signs of getting our mojo back.

Bring on Bolton!
A good post that puts a lot brighter tint on the game than my slightly gloomy one. It was a good win with the team under pressure so maybe I was a little harsh ?

What I will say though is if Mous improves the defence that dramatically then we didn’t recruit in that area well enough this summer. Moore might be a good player for the future but he isn’t a decent replacement for Nelson at this moment in time. And neither is Mous.

What! Tripe, Moussaka and chips all
Ah yes, their no.6 looked like an American fridge.?

He was a unit that’s for sure. Good solid win and I thought we did the simple things well. Again similar to last season with crosses flying across the opposition box with no end product, calling out for Taylor but that will come. What was the commotion in the Tranmere section? Possibly fighting each other as I saw two get led away.

A good post that puts a lot brighter tint on the game than my slightly gloomy one. It was a good win with the team under pressure so maybe I was a little harsh ?

What I will say though is if Mous improves the defence that dramatically then we didn’t recruit in that area well enough this summer. Moore might be a good player for the future but he isn’t a decent replacement for Nelson at this moment in time. And neither is Mous.
I totally agree, although it was a good transfer window, we didn't recruit well enough at all in defence, I would've like us to have signed an experienced CB to play alongside Dickie, as not only does Moore look pretty slow, immobile, and a bit clumsy with his ball control, he is young and inexperienced, so while he may hopefully improve, at the moment I'm really not convinced by him, and feel Mous, for all his faults, is much better.

I think they were mainly focusing on keeping it tighter than in recent games so weren’t so impressive going forward. Tranmere were leaving a lot of space and could have been really punished on another day

I have to say, I’m really surprised by people saying Woodburn was either good today or looks a real prospect in general. I think he’s been totally anonymous and very disappointing virtually the entire time he’s been here, and today he was pretty dire. Needs to seriously up his work rate and start imposing himself on games. Sometimes you need to make things happen yourself and up your energy levels, close a few people down and put some sprints in to get yourself into the match. I’m yet to see it, and at League One level work rate and ability to get about the pitch really matters. He needs to put a bit more in - having a nice touch and being effective when you have lots of time and space counts for very little at this level.

Not trying to lambast the kid or chuck him in the bin by any means, but I think he’s got a lot of improving to do and just can’t get on board with the notion that he’s been playing well.

I totally agree, although it was a good transfer window, we didn't recruit well enough at all in defence, I would've like us to have signed an experienced CB to play alongside Dickie, as not only does Moore look pretty slow, immobile, and a bit clumsy with his ball control, he is young and inexperienced, so while he may hopefully improve, at the moment I'm really not convinced by him, and feel Mous, for all his faults, is much better.

James Collins is free agent, 36 but I’m sure would still be a very decent player at this level

A win is a win, that was all that was needed today. Two poor sides first half, and second we dominated possession, but against a better team wouldn't have seen as much of the ball.
5600?? home fans, where have all the fans gone??
How badly injured is Baptiste?
Ditto Moore?
Are we going to sign a temp for Hanson?
We can win both Bolton and Lincoln, and kick start the season! Anyone going up by Transit van?:censored:

Not the greatest of games, but the result was more important. Strange to read some on here saying that Gorrin didn’t play well, actually thought him and Fosu were the better players. Even thought Brannagan wasn’t his normal self. Not sure if Henry and Woodburn can start at the same time, especially when we play the better teams. Thought Henry was better today too.

Like Kip said, the Agyei situation seems weird, so not sure what’s going on there.

I have to say, I’m really surprised by people saying Woodburn was either good today or looks a real prospect in general. I think he’s been totally anonymous and very disappointing virtually the entire time he’s been here, and today he was pretty dire. Needs to seriously up his work rate and start imposing himself on games. Sometimes you need to make things happen yourself and up your energy levels, close a few people down and put some sprints in to get yourself into the match. I’m yet to see it, and at League One level work rate and ability to get about the pitch really matters. He needs to put a bit more in - having a nice touch and being effective when you have lots of time and space counts for very little at this level.

Not trying to lambast the kid or chuck him in the bin by any means, but I think he’s got a lot of improving to do and just can’t get on board with the notion that he’s been playing well.
Agree that he needs to impose himself more on a game but I’m not sure the 10 role suits him.
I would say though that he’s a real talent. Superb touch, quick feet, able to find a yard of space quite naturally. In general I don’t think the role he’s asked to play suits him and us. If he clicks somewhere I think he could be very good.

Bit harsh on Woodburn; he has obvious quality but only shows it in flashes. His work rate is ok.

Fosu really impressed; his all round game is strong and he gives us deceptive pace.

My motm was Cadden, a thoughtful attack minded full back. No wonder we took him on loan eventually ; half a season better than nowt.

Tranmere terrible with the exception of their defensive orc. Relegation fodder. Irritating Edinburgh tattoo drum betrayed their recent non league past.

Cadden and Gorrin both had better games than Fosu. Gorrin was excellent in the first half and that goal saving block was an outstanding piece of last ditch defending. Cadden had probably his best game for us and while he’s not in the Baldock class he is a quality footballer at this level.

I thought the best I’ve seen from Fosu was his first performance at home, can’t remember who against but I assume it was the Peterborough game. He was good today but I don’t think worthy of MOTM.

What’s the issue with Agyei?
I don't think there is one, and I'm not sure why some want to suggest there is.

He has been building his fitness and was not expected to be featuring regularly yet anyway. The initial bench was balanced with a replacement keeper (Stevens), full back (Long), CB/CM (Mous), CM/AM (Baptiste), RM (Hall), LM (Forde) and Striker (Taylor). Not being in the match day squad doesn't mean that he is rated, but like Sykes before, it is more often a case of balancing the options to change all areas of the team if needed.

Just got back and haven’t caught up with everybody’s comments on here but for my tuppence worth it was one of the poorest games I’ve seen in a long time. A wins a win but Tranmere surely won’t spend long in league 1 unless they improve dramatically. As for us,we really lack anyone who can get hold of the game by the scruff of the neck and take control. The nearest we had to that was Shandon when he came on. It’s slightly concerning that once again there was evidence that he’s made of China. The challenge for the pen didn’t look to brutal but there was a few heart-in-mouth moments as he looked in real trouble. Before he came on, there was no real sense of us getting on top and dictating the game through midfield, just flashes of good things by Tariqe - deservedly MoM in my opinion, and decent tidy play by Henry supported by Cadden down the flanks. Having said that how many times does Cadden fail to beat the first man with his cross?! As for Woodburn it’s so frustrating, he shows flashes of being a good tidy player but is really failing to stamp his authority on to the game. There’s definitely a player there but he really does need to be doing more. We need him to be the fulcrum of the team. Hopefully Taylor will now stay fit and establish himself as our true ‘no9’. Mackie has battled manfully in his absence but he’s not the answer to any of our issues in attack.

A special mention needs to go out to Tariqe - he came over after the game and posed for photos and signed autographs after the game when he didn’t need to. I got a great pic of him with my 13 year old son which we both really appreciated. He’s now entrenched as my sons favourite player! ?

Spot on - its 3 points but jeez were Tranmere poor

Back
Top Bottom