Home Match Day Thread 14/8/2021 - L1: OUFC v Charlton Athletic

Decent 3 points ....though possibly could, maybe should, have been by a bigger margin

Bring on Crewe

Pleased with that! Would be great if we can keep some momentum early on and have a good start to the season instead of playing catch up.

It’s such a good squad when you look at it on paper and the bench today was filled with decent players. I’d like to see another couple of defensively minded players come in as back up to help close things up if we have an injury or Gorrin/Brannigan are on thin ice.

Did wonder whether Robinson would bring Mous on earlier to see the game out. Instead he kept bringing on attacking players 😁.

Anyway, it’s early days but I think there’s a lot to be excited about.

Seddon reminded me of Christian Ziege. Surprised how tall and quick he was, different quality to dear old JR.

To have such a shonky defence out on paper yet still win fairly comfortably against genuine promotion rivals bodes very well.

Williams played so expertly, he has almost become first choice right back immediately.

McNally a good athlete and excellent technique but mistimed quite a few headed challenges. On the plus side he won’t come up against handfuls like Stockley much this season.

Thomiley very calm on the ball, he’s a little lacking in height but we didn’t seem to be vulnerable to crosses or corners

Thought we played different tactics today to normal, we let Charlton have the ball a lot but hit them on the counter. Whyte wasn’t brilliant yesterday but his pace can win you games in a flash. ( oo ‘er.)

Winnall has the advantage of being a bit more physical than Matty. Taylor looked very effective as a sub.
All in all, good coaching performance from KR.

Great to see the old crew in SSU again, banging atmosphere all game.COYY

Looking forward to seeing Williams combine with a fully fit Sam Long down the right. The stuff of nightmares for League 1 left backs.

Males me think, if Williams didn't get that early yellow at Cambridge, could he have been the difference?

Great result and entertaining game

Have to say I was disappointed with the attendance 8400 considering Charlton almost sold their allocation
This would be the first chance to see the Yellows for a year for lots of people
To give some perspective the relegated STFC got 9400 v Carlisle who I imagine wouldn’t have taken their full allocation
Thoughts?

Was it last season - or the one before - when Taylor went about 10 games without a goal and was missing tap ins like that on a weekly basis. Winnall at least got there (almost), unlike the one late on that Holland slid across the six yard box waiting to be tapped home. We should encourage Winnall because he could be lethal at this level once up to speed and properly fit. We created some great chances today and that’s with Whyte not at his best, Taylor and Winnall could fill their boots this season.
Fair comment and we all know goal scoring comes down mostly to confidence and sharpness but equally it’s instinctive and I would argue Taylor gets himself in those positions far more often than Winnall. But then they are different players - Taylor wants space. Winnall wants to be in the blender.

Im far less critical of Winnall than I am trying to spare Sykes from the blame - that’s the bit I’m confused with. Any good coach tells Sykes to put that ball in that space hard and low to take the keeper out the equation and your goal scorer should do the rest if he’s on his toes. It’s a sitter, but good news is not a costly one because we ran the show yesterday.

It was mentioned to me today by the manager of F&B that it was something to do with unpaid service charges.

Could that possibly be correct?
Absolutely not. The club is fully up to date with all payments.

There is one common denominator in our 20 year stadium fiasco at Grenoble Road, and that is the man who named it after himself. That is where the blame should be laid, nowhere else.

A fantastic result, and one that shows just that we can play great football, but also work really hard when needed.

Williams looked more comfortable at right back than I thought he would, and although positionally naive at times, his work rate was incredible. Nicking the ball away on the edge of the box and knocking in a rebound 10 seconds later shows real desire, and I'm not sure that's something we were expecting when he signed.

Brannagan was back on the top of his game, and he looked like a kid when he scored! Proper made up and it lifted his game even more.

McNally is very much ready for league one football, and looked more than good enough alongside an excellent Thorniley. Considering he's only been at the club a couple of weeks he already looks like a real leader and one that battles for absolutely everything. Seddon also looks like a real player. You can see why we made him our key target at left back.

Winnall did all the ugly stuff well, and was ridiculously unlucky to give a penalty away when the ball looked to hit him in the face. But there's no excuses for the miss other than he perhaps checked his run not to be offside, but he has to score there!

And that would have been far reward to the excellent work you Sykes, who has really looked to focus on his delivery. Having Whyte back at the club might just give Sykes the confidence he needs. Both were talking a lot during the game, and will be some pair if we get them both playing to the full potential.

But with so many great performances, I also thought that James Henry played a captains role today. He did the hard yards and tracked back far more than I've seen lately, but also was unlucky not to score.

So, overall lots to be positive about, especially as I think we've still got a couple more gears in us and plenty of players to come in to keep things fresh.

On Winnall's miss, just on the highlights, it was a poor pass by Sykes as he only needed to roll it across which I think SW was expecting.

Most definitive video I've seen of the "penalty" yet, certainly looks like it hits Winnall in the face:

Although, I can kind of understand why it was given as they thought it hit the hand. That it isn't clear cut from replays I've seen does give some leeway.

It would be nice to actually get a penalty mind considering we've given away 2 in 2 (Sykes one clearly was last week).

Great result and entertaining game

Have to say I was disappointed with the attendance 8400 considering Charlton almost sold their allocation
This would be the first chance to see the Yellows for a year for lots of people
To give some perspective the relegated STFC got 9400 v Carlisle who I imagine wouldn’t have taken their full allocation
Thoughts?

All to do with ticket prices my friend, that shite down the road were doing kids under 11 for £1 and under 18 for £6. If we had prices like that we could of hit over 10k easy yesterday. I would of bought another 3 with me but when I'm paying £10 for my 9 year old I can't justify paying £30 to bring 3 of his mates. Let's also not forget it's the holiday season and the first game back after all restrictions and maybe some people are holding back until its clear this virus isn't going to ravage again. 7k home fans though which was more then MK and they have a nice shiny stadium 😜

Arguing with some muppets on Twitter who rated Winnalls performance as a 4! Yes he should have scored but his all round performance was for me his best in an Oxford shirt. Apparently you can’t have a good game as a striker if you don’t score or assist.

Last edited:
Around 7K home fans is pretty decent for me. I think if we are looking good in a few months, we can expect 9 or 10k in house regularly. We weren't getting that in the second tier!

Me too. I saw absolutely nothing from Clare, apart from a decent half hour at Plymouth, to suggest he was anything other than a really poor signing. Totally over run today and if it’s true about the fee we got for him, that looks one of the best bits of business we’ve done in years.
The addicks fans aren’t overly impressed with Clare

Back
Top Bottom