Home Match Day Thread 14/8/2021 - L1: OUFC v Charlton Athletic

Sorry if already mentioned, but haven't Charlton been awarded a penalty on their last 3 visits to Grenoble Road by my reckoning?
Hadn't crossed my mind but yeah, that is true actually.

Fortunately the only one that turned out to matter in terms of the game, Stevens made the save with the last action of the match. And boy was that important in the context of the season, otherwise Charlton make the playoffs and not us.

I’m not Sam Winnall’s biggest fan but I’m glad that, by all accounts, he had a better game than usual yesterday. I can’t comment as I only saw the extended highlights so just saw him give away a penalty and miss an absolute sitter.

I find it hilarious that some people are so keen to back him though that they’re trying to blame the miss on Sykes?! As a wide player, all you can do is make a great run into the box, take a touch, then slide a ball across the box, away from the keeper, directly in to the path of your onrushing striker… As the striker it’s your job to adjust your feet and tap that into an empty net. Sykes could do no more, Sam Winnall absolutely has to score that. Yes it might not have been exactly, 100%, precisely where he wanted it but Sykes is in a moving situation where he has one chance to play that in. Any striker in world football, given that ball, wouldn’t say ‘What the hell was that?! You expected me to score from THAT ball?!?’ Come on guys. Be reasonable.
Exactly. I've watched that back a number of times, and Winnall opens his whole body up, to let the ball come across him, onto his left foot, why?? Even if he's awful with his right foot, he still only had to tap it in!

In no way is Sykes at fault, it was a good ball, zipped across the face of goal, that even I could've waddled onto and tapped in!

Let's move on! 😂

Exactly. I've watched that back a number of times, and Winnall opens his whole body up, to let the ball come across him, onto his left foot, why?? Even if he's awful with his right foot, he still only had to tap it in!

In no way is Sykes at fault, it was a good ball, zipped across the face of goal, that even I could've waddled onto and tapped in!

Let's move on! 😂
It did bother me when Winnall had a pop at Sykes for the pass. It was his fault, own it and move on. Winnall was some player in his prime, he does look like he's lost a yard of pace from his Barnsley days.

What did people on here make of the new boys? I thought Thorniley looked solid again, McNally looked promising, Seddon continues to make be believe he is an upgrade on JR, and although not technically a "new" player I am a big fan of Holland. He is really silky on the ball.

It seemed to me a more assured performance than the Cambridge performance. We created more certainly. Is our pitch quite big? The Cambridge pitch seemed small to me and that seemed not to favour us. Shouldn't all pitches have to be the same size?

It did bother me when Winnall had a pop at Sykes for the pass. It was his fault, own it and move on. Winnall was some player in his prime, he does look like he's lost a yard of pace from his Barnsley days.

What did people on here make of the new boys? I thought Thorniley looked solid again, McNally looked promising, Seddon continues to make be believe he is an upgrade on JR, and although not technically a "new" player I am a big fan of Holland. He is really silky on the ball.

It seemed to me a more assured performance than the Cambridge performance. We created more certainly. Is our pitch quite big? The Cambridge pitch seemed small to me and that seemed not to favour us. Shouldn't all pitches have to be the same size?

I think there's a minimum and maximum, but I do remember seeing reports here and there of us getting ours widened/narrowed in successive seasons.

He did the same to Agyei recently. Obviously thinks he's the senior man who should be paid homage.

Kassam does what he wants always as always will .The council run scared of him and I’m sure some at Oxford United also, even on this forum there will be a few who will tell please don’t rock the boat .Let’s all prey that within 5 years we can say goodbye to this leach and move on to a shiny new stadium of which we all deserve
Health and safety and the food hygiene committee should pay an unannounced visit. It would affect the fans for a short while but surely the improvement would be mouth watering…..well at least it should be.

I think Winnall needs to keep getting in the positions. He obviously didn't mean to miss, and we should not get on his back. Support the man.

Sykes needs to keep playing well too - he has put in some very odd performances in the past but its all about the now.
Yesterday I thought Sykes had a cracking game.

He did the same to Agyei recently. Obviously thinks he's the senior man who should be paid homage.
I have no idea whether he does think this or not, but given his form since being in an Oxford shirt he really shouldn't be thinking this. I don't like to see players berating team-mates unless it has to be done, he had no right to have a pop at Sykes imo. Maybe he's just frustrated with the way things are going.

On the subject of Agyei, I really do think the lad is criminally underused. I've said before I believe if he started every game up top for a side like Wimbledon at this level he would score around 20 goals a season.

We spent half the summer saying that we need to toughen up as a side, like Blackpool etc. That is both physically and mentally. If a player can't stand to be shoutred at by another then they really shouldn't be playing at this level. And that's not to defend Sam Winnall, I would have expected Sykesy to have given him a mouthful for the miss rather than the other way around!

We've been far too quiet and far too nice, and that cost us last season. We have added the likes of Thorniley and Williams who are strong character. Also Stevens is much more vocal, Henry was doing a lot more talking yesterday, Longy is a natural leader, Brannagan is now a senior player and Moore has really grown into a club captain. Winnall might be a bit gobby, and that might be down to frustartion, but I want to see that passion and fight. Taylor does it week in, week out, Henry gave Dan a load last season after a miss, it happens all the time - and it's really not a bad thing.

Winnall might be a bit gobby, and that might be down to frustartion, but I want to see that passion and fight. Taylor does it week in, week out, Henry gave Dan a load last season after a miss, it happens all the time - and it's really not a bad thing.

I am sure it was just a moment of frustration and I agree, players in that competitive environment will clash on occasion or give a team mate a bit of a bollocking.

Having said that, I don’t want to constantly see players arguing with each other or playing some sort of blame game.

Sykes got into a great position and I felt the cross, albeit a little weighty still provided a great opportunity for Winnall to slide it into the net.

Thankfully we didn’t have to rue the miss, we learn and move on.

Great display yesterday and really looking forward to Tuesday.

Blimey, we won 2 1 and waste time on here debating why it wasn't 3 1. Good win
It makes sense to me. If we can become more clinical we will win more football matches. It's good to think about how you can improve even if you win, I'm sure KR will do this himself!

We spent half the summer saying that we need to toughen up as a side, like Blackpool etc. That is both physically and mentally. If a player can't stand to be shoutred at by another then they really shouldn't be playing at this level. And that's not to defend Sam Winnall, I would have expected Sykesy to have given him a mouthful for the miss rather than the other way around!

We've been far too quiet and far too nice, and that cost us last season. We have added the likes of Thorniley and Williams who are strong character. Also Stevens is much more vocal, Henry was doing a lot more talking yesterday, Longy is a natural leader, Brannagan is now a senior player and Moore has really grown into a club captain. Winnall might be a bit gobby, and that might be down to frustartion, but I want to see that passion and fight. Taylor does it week in, week out, Henry gave Dan a load last season after a miss, it happens all the time - and it's really not a bad thing.
As long as it's done in a constructive way, I've got no problem with players giving each other a bollocking, in fact I welcome it, as it puts a rocket up their arses, and drives them on.

Look at Roy Keane for example, he was constantly bollocking his teammates, even the youngsters, and things didn't turn out too badly for those teams!

Worth watching Moments You Missed from the Charlton game. Shows how good Brannagan's close control is and how well we come out of defence. V enjoyable.

That cross for the second goal was quality who pinged that in, was it Whyte?

Back
Top Bottom